Topic: Masking in the GIMP

I followed the directions in Rsteenoven's tutorial, and instead of the background image, I'm getting white nothingness. Please help.

Re: Masking in the GIMP

Oh! Oh! I know how to do this! Open up GIMP, go into File>>Open as Layers>>(whatever SAME CAMERA ANGLE image you load), then do the same thing and this time, choose the image you want to mask something out of. Then go into Mask>>Add Layer Mask, and then go into Mask>>Apply layer mask. Then SWITCH TO YOUR ERASER!!!!! Then erase out what you don't want, the save it, and tada! You have your masking done.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/BGanimations/Signatures/final_400x100.png

I have a video tutorial
go check it out

That was weird, I had to add the Alpha Channel like what Mutuceba said, yet I'm running Windows. Thanks so much Mutuceba! mini/bigsmile

Can't help you there mini/sad

40% of people causing car accidents are caused by drunk driving. Drive drunk, it's safer.

I used your advice, BGanimations

Thanks mini/bigsmile

Don't be fooled, my avatar is a facade of conformity.

Duke Boy wrote:

I used your advice, BGanimations

Thanks mini/bigsmile

Anytime. mini/smile

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/BGanimations/Signatures/final_400x100.png

Yes you go 'Layer>>Transparency>>Add Alpha Channel' for future reference

mini/bigsmile

how do you erase in gimp when you are trying to mask and the eraser will  not erase:/

eh i got nothing

Bumping old topics unnecessarily doesn't make anyone happy. mini/eek  Especially over 3 years later. If you have a question you can't find the answer too go on and treat yourself to a new topic next time!

Boats Animator
Free stop motion software with 1080p support!
YouTubeBrickfilms WikiBoats Animator

If you add the mask, you don't use the eraser to remove stuff. You use the pen tool with the color set to black.

I always just add an alpha channel.

Ahhh yeah!!!

Youtube

topitmunkeydog wrote:

If you add the mask, you don't use the eraser to remove stuff. You use the pen tool with the color set to black.

What? How do you mask?

If the eraser tool isn't working, he's probably just highlighting the wrong layer.

IDK what I am doing but when I first started masking the eraser tool would not work for me. So what I did was add a layer mask, so when you draw on the mask the black pixels will actually be transparent. I thought that's how everybody does it. Huh. Wonder where I learned that, because I had never used gimp before.

That's how I used to do it too, topitmunkeydog. Instead of fiddling around on the actual image, make the parts of the image with the masking rig in it transparent through a layer mask and put the background image on a layer underneath.