Topic: Adobe After Effects Lip Syncing, with Liquify, Guide/Assistance.

I recently Purchased Adobe After Effects CS4 and want to start animating my lego with lip syncing with the tool Liquify I was hoping someone may be able to assist me with a link or guide or be able to explain how to do it, in their own words.

And just another question, after every time I edit the lip with the tool how do I save it? For e.g do I just move the lip with the tool on the frame then move to the next frame? Just a bit lost there.

Thanks guys in advance.

Generalned

Moderator Notice: This user has been banned for mass vandalism of the Brikifilms wiki.]
"You don't know what you have till you lose it, but then when you realize it, it's probably to late.."
Working on a better community
Proverbs 26:21

Re: Adobe After Effects Lip Syncing, with Liquify, Guide/Assistance.

I probably wouldn't consider the liquify tool the best option for full on lip syncing. To animate the progression on the liquify effect, there's a slider in the effect that controls how much the liquify affects the layer, from 0% and upwards.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

I would like to disagree with Sean on the this matter.  I find that the liquify tool is the most simple and natural-looking way to make your minifig's mouth move.

To make the liquify effect stick to your minifigure (assuming that it's moving), you'll have to reverse track your footage.  See Andrew Kramer's Demon Face Warp Tutorial (http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/demon_face_warp/).  If your animation is a bit choppy, you'll have to keyframe the track points, rather than just click the track button.

Another advantage of using the liquify tool is that you can link your distortion percentage to your audio, eliminating the need to keyframe the width of the mouth!  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyrGOVzgRMo)  <-Parent the distortion percentage to the "Both" slider on the null object, and add a *x (x being a number of your choice) to the end of the created expression.

I hope this helped.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

Making a mouth move is not the same as lip syncing. The liquify tool will enable you to warp the pre-printed mouth, as you'd expect. It won't be too helpful for proper lip syncing.

Sean wrote:

Making a mouth move is not the same as lip syncing. The liquify tool will enable you to warp the pre-printed mouth, as you'd expect. It won't be too helpful for proper lip syncing.

I do realize that mouth movement isn't the same as lip syncing, and that the liquify filter only warps the image, and doesn't change it.  It was with this knowledge in mind that I replied to this post.

Lip sync using the liquify filter is impossible.  I'd like to rephrase my previous post and say "The liquify filter is one of the best ways to accomplish mouth animation in After Effects."

And, as I did say before, syncing the movement of the mouth with the audio can be done with no keyframing at all.  You can see how to do this by watching the tutorial at the second link in my previous post.

Thank you both for your comments!

Thanks for your reply Sean I appreicate it, Sorry if I confused you with the Lip Sync over the mouth movement, I didn't think there was really a difference, and to be honest with you/guys I still don't. But thanks for your reply and concern!

Thank you especially DaNumba1Ninja for the tutorials and for your fantastic explanation, I will be sure to watch these! One question I was confused what did you and sean mean for its not lip syncing? Is Lip Syncing better? Thanks again!

Generalned

EDIT: I apologise for my late reply, I have not been able to access the internet the last couple of days.

Moderator Notice: This user has been banned for mass vandalism of the Brikifilms wiki.]
"You don't know what you have till you lose it, but then when you realize it, it's probably to late.."

All good. Apologies for not giving a more detailed explanation, I find myself very short on time at the moment.

Trying to put it succinctly, what I consider to be lip syncing entails changing the mouth shape and details to reflect phonetics. Different mouth shapes and designs might require some to have teeth, others to show the tongue in different positions, some without either, and a combination of these. The Liquify tool wouldn't be of immense help in accomplishing this.

If you want to have a further discussion on it, feel free to hit me up on Skype. My handle is "sean.warton". I can talk and work on my projects at the same time, I just can't always spend time typing replies on forums mini/smile

@Sean Hey Sean mate, firstly pelase forgive me for the delayed message mate, I have been so busy lately I haven't had a chance to sit down and go on the internet, And mate you gave a great explanation as I said I may have confused you in the way I said it, as I was unaware that they were two different things, but never the les its all good.

Thanks again for your great reply and I will look more into it, I am hoping to make a film this friday as I am free so I am very excited, I will defiently look into hitting you up in skype sometime, just cant at the moment as I'm flatout but thanks for the offer, and I know what you mean mate.

Thanks again for your reply and sorry again the late reply, honestly I don't want you thinking I don't appreciate you feedback/advice cause honestly I do.

So thanks again to you Sean and everyone else for their wisdom!

Cheers!

Generalned

All good dude. Just don't get too far ahead of yourself. Master brickfilming as best you can without relying on post production effects (especially for complex things like lip syncing) before jumping in too deep.

@Sean Thanks Sean yea I know I should not rush to quick into, and I know what you mean cheers mate.

Generalned