Topic: Paper use for chroma keying.(green screen)

I was wondering instead of cloth or fabric for green screening, maybe I could use blue or green paper! Because it's lego animation, and I have a small set, I think it's pretty convenient! I'm working on a scene for my new film where a star cruiser flies through space, and I'd like to do a green screen for it.

Main question: Would paper work well for green screening in brick filming?

Re: Paper use for chroma keying.(green screen)

YES.

Even better, actually.

Tip: When filming on a green screen, put some blue paper above the set so you don't get green reflections on your objects (not doing this will mess up your chroma keying).

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

Thanks! I'm trying it out tonight!

How's it going? I suppose it mostly depends on the camera you use and etc.

LarryStudios wrote:

How's it going? I suppose it mostly depends on the camera you use and etc.

Well, the paper I used was a bit crumpled. I think this afternoon after school, I'm going to buy some blue paper.

I guess the only issue with using paper is that you could get a lot of reflection.  I've used felt also which again is a fairly reflective fabric.  In the end I had to suck it up and buy some proper Green and Blue muslin fabric.  I stapled it to a couple of boards to keep it nice and flat.

GHB Productions wrote:

Well, the paper I used was a bit crumpled. I think this afternoon after school, I'm going to buy some blue paper.

Uh-oh.
You can't have a crumpled green screen; the wrinkles make shadows. And again, that will mess up your chroma keying.

minifig051 wrote:
GHB Productions wrote:

Uh-oh.
You can't have a crumpled green screen; the wrinkles make shadows. And again, that will mess up your chroma keying.

Umm... yeah? That's why I bought new material. Although instead of paper, I found green and blue foam that works pretty well.

GHB Productions wrote:

Umm... yeah? That's why I bought new material.

Oops, accidental CAPTAIN OBVIOUS.
I guess it was because you didn't say you were buying some green paper.

I even used bright green felt.  Somewhat less effective, because it's textures and creates shadows.  It's also a good idea to put additional sheets of paper behind your green paper, because green screen works best when it's well-lit and lit evenly, and lighting paper can make it translucent.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."