Topic: Gorillapod good for brickfilming?

I was wondering, has anyone tried using a Gorillapod as a tripod for their camera when animating?  I'm considering using one, because it's more flexible than a normal one (aside from the fact I don't have a "normal" tripod mini/tongue ), but it seems to be pretty wobbly.  Any suggestions?

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Re: Gorillapod good for brickfilming?

I have but usually don't use it, mainly because my animating table is small and it's hard to fit a gorilla pod and a set on it at the same time, I usually just use a normal tripod (which isn't on the table). The gorillapod is good for aerial shots and other things from above the set, but unless you raise your set above the table, it's somewhat hard to do close ups or shots on ground level. Does that make any sense?

Edit: a lot also depends on the size. My gorillapod is relatively big, which is why it isn't so great for shots form ground level, but maybe those would work with a smaller one?

Last edited by Realm of the Unreel (August 28, 2012 (03:17am))

I used a Joby Gorillapod until about 7-8 months ago. I found that it was pretty good for what I needed, I didnt have a tripod in my house back then. If you will be using live view with it, it will be fine, but if you aren't, and you will be physically pressing the button for the camera, there will be a lot of camera shake, due to the fact that the force from you pushing the button down will push the camera down slightly, having ball bearings. It's also really small and maneuvreable, which is helpful, though it can be a little wobbly. Be sure to put Blu-Tac under the legs so it doesn't move around too much. I personally prefer a floor tripod (what else would I use, I have a DSLR), but the Gorillapod is a good thing to use, as long as you are mindful of preventing camera shake.

-StormofCake

I used one for Flushed Away, but that's only because the entire set was elevated, making it possible to do so. There are some behind the scenes pictures that illustrate this here.

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

I had one, but it broke. mini/sad

The joints can lose stiffness, and can't support heavier cameras.
For something like my DSLR, it probably wouldn't work well, but for a small, light web cam it could work nicely.
The pod is quite advantageous in its flexibility.

I have a Amazon brand one, though I've never actually used it yet...Id suggest making a camera (or webcam) cradle out of Lego, then you can just attached it to the baseplate,Unless you're animating on a elevated set, then I'd suggest ether Tripod or gorillapod, it really just depends on you animating setup.

The Ghost of Mrs. Day studios: Home of mediocre brickfilms.

Thanks for the helpful advice, everyone! mini/smile

I have a small Gorillapod--the legs are only about 11 cm when straightened out--and a relatively large desk space, I have enough room.  My camera is one of those small, pocket-size digital ones (Canon Digital Ixus 9515) and it shouldn't have any problems with weight.

My main concern was about the stability, as it seemed a bit wobbly when I tried it out.  (I'll definitely try using Blu-Tac, thanks for the tip StormOfCake!)  I also tried making a cradle out of bricks, but I found it was very bulky and difficult to position, particularly if I wanted a diagonal or tilted view. 

As it happens, I am going to be using a raised set for my upcoming film, Eco-Man: The environmentally friendly Superhero, so this should work perfectly for this set, at least. 

(By the way, I posted a few pictures in the Pre-Production Forum--please feel free to check it out! mini/tongue )

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (August 29, 2012 (03:03pm))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

I have to agree with StormofCake, the pod is too wobbly/unstable. I taught a recreational stop-motion class to middle schoolers and one student had a gorrila pod; his shots looked the same because they were all limited to 4-5 inches off the ground. In your case, with an elevated set, it should be fine.

I was not impressed with the gorrila pod, but if you know what you're doing I guess it's alright.

- Packrat Productions

- Packrat Productions

We bought one for the cameras that our family has, not exactly sure how I'd go about fixing my 9000 to the thing to try filming with it.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

I use a gorillapod. It's not good for digital cameras where you press the button, because you'll get plenty of camera shakes that are really annoying. I use it because I have a wireless remote to take the pictures, instead of pressing the button. So overall, it's nice for getting good high up shot angles, but it can fall over if you don't position it right.