Re: BRAWL2012 Has Ended!

If a video didn't have any effects, I marked that category as a zero.

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

That's not really a fair category since some don't have effects... And there's nothing wrong with a film with no effects if it doesn't need them.

Last edited by Squid (August 28, 2012 (01:10pm))

Yeah...
1) I didn't have After Effects and...
2) My film really didn't need any effects IMO.

Well that seems unfair.

Brickfilms look better without effects, unless the effects are really, REALLY good! mini/tongue

Guys, I'm marking all entries that have no effects as a zero in that category as well. Add effects to your film. It's totally fair and if you disagree then you're stupid.

Well that is not fair. Effects does not make the film better, depends on what kind of film you are making, if you dont need any, why have any. Why shall you get extra points for that?  If you do a drama, shall you add an explosion in the middle, even if you dont need one just for the extra points?

We aren't being stupid, we're just expressing our own opinion on one of the judging categories.

Including 'effects' as criteria for judging is silly.

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

I don't think people should start arguing until they know more about the judging. How much does the "Effects" category counts toward an entry's placing?

If a video has no special effects, then it would make sense to mark it zero, but is the "Overall" category just an average of all the other categories or is it entirely separate? Since before the contest started there was no information about how the videos were going to be judged, I'm not sure you should mark down the overall film because of a lack of special effects.

Also, are we talking about only digital effects or any kind of effect?

My film doesn't have any effects so I (think) got a 0 in that category. Having a special effects category is fine, IF you have special effects. Instead of that category getting rated 0 and messing up the final average, the category should just be ruled out completely.

Former BRAWL host, 2013-2017
             Youtube   Twitter

NXTManiac wrote:

Including 'effects' as criteria for judging is silly.

QFT.

This is why I think contests should release upfront what the judging will be based on. People should have a right to know going in.

Well, I missed it..

If a film does have nice effects, I'm sure that it will affect the the "overall" category.
The problem with it having an entire category for it is that it's not a constant in all films, which is why I think the category should probably just be discarded.

Chris W. wrote:

if you disagree then you're stupid.

Well, that's quite mature of you.

Guys, I was joking, and I believe that JK was too. If there's no SFX, I'm just going to put n/a (not applicable).

If you're going to make a joke that is typed out (meaning it won't have vocal emphasis) you should indicate in some way that it is a joke, to avoid an uproar such as this.

And I agree that judging criteria should be released before or at the start of a contest.

I think having an effects category is perfectly fine as long as it doesn't affect the overall category for films without any effects.
Also Chris, you are stupid and anyone who disagrees is stupid. ›:I

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

Chris W. wrote:

Guys, I was joking, and I believe that JK was too. If there's no SFX, I'm just going to put n/a (not applicable).

Next time you should do this:

"insert joke here"

Spoiler (click to read)

This is a joke by the way ha ha ha ha ha

(I'm joking btw mini/blankexpression )

jstudios wrote:

I think having an effects category is perfectly fine as long as it doesn't affect the overall category for films without any effects.
Also Chris, you are stupid and anyone who disagrees is stupid. ›:I

Please, let's not resort to petty insults.

http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t408/Rogeralans/LOGOsigOfficial_zpscdbbba00.png

The category "Effects" will not be factored into your average if your film didn't have effects. In other words if you tried to do effects but did them very poorly it might hurt your average, however if your film had really awesome effects it might bump up your average. If your film had no effects at all the effects rating will not be taken into account and it will not affect your final score. Effects are a lot of work and I want to make sure that people who use them are sufficiently rewarded.