Topic: Night Lighting

About to start on a video when I realised that for the most part it is set at night (Or at least a dusk sort of time) and I have no idea how to give my video that effect! Should I just fiddle around with the brightness / exposure settings on the camera (Logitech quickcam pro 9000) or is there a more "professional" way of doing it? Any advice will be much appreciated! Thanks mini/smile

Re: Night Lighting

If you have a dim or small light, such as a flashlight or led, you should use that, but make sure the contrast is higher than usual, and exposure is low, but not too low, where it will have lines. To see if it has these 'lines', take a few pictures of something, play them, and if there are lines, you will see them (They move).

You could place a filter on your light, too, and add an aperture so there is only light coming from a small spot.

Great! Fantastic! Will try that, thanks a lot mini/smile

Point a lamp (or two) away from the set. The reflected light will light your set; with just enought light to make it look like night.
This works really well.

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

minifig051 wrote:

Point a lamp (or two) away from the set. The reflected light will light your set; with just enought light to make it look like night.
This works really well.

Aha, will have to try this as well mini/smile Thanks mini/smile

If you want a bit of a cinematographic effect, you can try to tint your lighting blue a bit; not something I've tried, but I know some people have, and a lot of blockbuster movies do this in post to night shots.

For this, I put a block of dark blue color over my film and lowered the opacity, with a mask for the lights.

http://i.imgur.com/Q9NCUnx.png