Topic: Size on the pictures?

I was thinking the other day about when I am animating, I always shoot my movies in 640 x 480 size and I don't really know why, strange? Yes.

I'm planning as usual to put my new film on youtube and I am wondering what size I really should use? Does it matter what size the images are? Lower better quality? Beacuse I don't really know at all.....I'm using monkeyjam and the sizes I could use is 1280 x 1024, 800 x 600, 1600 x 1200 and some other smaller. Any tips?

Re: Size on the pictures?

What camera do you have?

Smaller resolutions don't have the ability to capture detail like high resolutions do. When you shoot at 640x480, that means every picture you take will be 640 pixels wide and 480 pixels tall. Now, if you shot at 1600x1200, you would have 2.5 times as many horizontal and vertical pixels. Generally the more pixels you use, the more detail you're going to capture. The exception to this is if the resolution is software enhanced (meaning the program takes the image at a smaller resolution and digitally stretches it to get a larger one). Of course, the quality of your camera matters as well in how much more definition higher resolutions actually provide.

The downside to using high resolutions is that it takes up a lot more room on your hard-drive. It's something of a balancing act. Have you tried filming at each resolution and seeing which looks best to you?

Rsteenoven wrote:

What camera do you have?

I'm using the Quickcam Pro 9000.

Squash wrote:

Smaller resolutions don't have the ability to capture detail like high resolutions do. When you shoot at 640x480, that means every picture you take will be 640 pixels wide and 480 pixels tall. Now, if you shot at 1600x1200, you would have 2.5 times as many horizontal and vertical pixels. Generally the more pixels you use, the more detail you're going to capture. The exception to this is if the resolution is software enhanced (meaning the program takes the image at a smaller resolution and digitally stretches it to get a larger one). Of course, the quality of your camera matters as well in how much more definition higher resolutions actually provide.

The downside to using high resolutions is that it takes up a lot more room on your hard-drive. It's something of a balancing act. Have you tried filming at each resolution and seeing which looks best to you?

Okay, I think i'm going to try to make a animated clip and see how it looks in 1600 x 1200. Thanks.

I film at 1600x1200 with my quickcam 9000, then I scale down to 1280x720.

I normally film at 1600 by 900 (with Quickcam Pro 9000), because that way I already have it in 16:9 and don't have to cut parts of the image away, then I also scale it to 720p to upload.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7122/8074694488_bbd93ca054.jpg