Topic: Lightning

Hi everyone,

I'm Leo, a Swedish Brickfilmer. I have a big problem in my latest videos, and that is the lightning.
I have many lamps, but I still get a huge light flicker. mini/sad  I have tried to put white filter on the lamps, but I don't think it helped, people say that they put "paper" on it, what kind of paper?

I have 2 lamps which I bought on flee markets, and also some that I bought in shops, is it better with yellow light lamps or white light lamps?

Re: Lightning

This would go in the post-production thread.
Alright, the paper you need to put on your lamps is baking paper. Printer paper will ignite or cause the lamp to heat up.
Keep your windows closed so that the outside light won't cause too much light flicker.
The best thing to do to avoid light flicker is to animate at night.

Be careful about moving around too much as well; you're best off wearing black clothing while you animate to keep your body from randomly reflecting light onto the set.

Troodon wrote:

Alright, the paper you need to put on your lamps is baking paper. Printer paper will ignite or cause the lamp to heat up.
Keep your windows closed so that the outside light won't cause too much light flicker.
The best thing to do to avoid light flicker is to animate at night.

Really? I've used printer paper since the dawn of time. It works fine for me.

Former BRAWL host, 2013-2017
             Youtube   Twitter

I use printer paper as well. I would also try to play around with the settings on your camera. Make sure everything is set to manual, though.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

If you have a Quickcam 9000 you can change a lot of the lighting. Pretty sure you can do it with other cameras as well.

If you use the "fade to last frame"-thingy in your stop-motion Program (Depends what program you are using), and see if the light is changing, you can try to change the settings a bit so you get the lighting as close as possible to the previous frame.

Why are you looking at my signature?
Mod edit: Your signature started it.
... Oh yeah.

First of all, sorry for the wrong place, I'm new to bricksinmotion. Anyway, baking paper? Ok, I have only tried white filter, not paper 'cause my dad said that usual paper is dangerous.

Yes, I use a Webcam Pro 9000, I looked at a tutorial the other day, link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIKWVbri … ature=plcp

But I have never had time to use it, 'cause I'm on vacation! mini/sunnies
Although, thanks for the help everyone! But you didn't answear my other question: Which is best, yellow light lamps or white light lamps?

Uhm, why the heck would this go in the post-production forum?
This is the right forum for lighting issues, isn't it?

YouTube channel
N00bToob ebovv

Troodon wrote:

Please explain in detail how you add all of your lights in post-production. mini/bigsmile

Troodon wrote:

How so? Post-production = after animating. Lightning problems seem like production problems to me.

Oh, silly me, I meant production. I was on a Galaxy S3 while typing that post. It auto-corrected me.
Alright, so I said that about printer paper because I used it to cover up the lamps, until I saw smoke coming out of one of the lamps. I turned them both off. Then I saw that the livhtbulb from one of the lamps was practically GLUED to the lamp with ash. Not even a knife could get that stuff off. Eventually I had to use a can opener to get the lightbulb out. Now I'm sticking with baking paper, which won't catch fire that easily.

Last edited by Troodon (July 22, 2012 (02:53pm))