Topic: Norm for Chroma Keying?

First of all, I apologize if this question does not have enough merit to get a whole topic devoted to it, but I didn't want to bump old topics. Anyway, what is the norm for doing chroma key in post production? If I were using Gimp, MonkeyJam, and a video editing software (Pinnacle) when is the right time to do the chroma key?

I would imagine that you compile the scene into a video in Monkeyjam first, then import it into Pinnacle and chroma key there. But do you export each scene with the chroma keying done and then re-import all the scenes again for the final movie? This seems like it would lead to a loss of quality because of multiple video compressions. Or do you have all the raw scenes in one import and chroma key them all then? Because that would only lead to one video compression at the end.

I'm pretty sure no one chroma key's each picture individually right? That would take a lot of time. mini/lol

I realize it may be a little unclear, so please ask if you need clarification. But I would like to know this before going into serious chroma keyed shots.

Thanks yall.   mini/wink

sigelrelster
Scripting: 100% Animation: 3% Post-Production: 0%

Re: Norm for Chroma Keying?

I might have got the question wrong, but I think you can import all the clips into Pinnacle and chroma key them individually.

YouTube channel
N00bToob ebovv

Put all the raw footage in, but chroma key them one by one using the fx, and export the clips. Only two exports, one out of Monkeyjam, and one out of Pinnacle.

thanks, that what I was expecting. I just needed someone else's view on things just to make sure.

sigelrelster
Scripting: 100% Animation: 3% Post-Production: 0%