Topic: Ways to Avoid Light Flicker?

Hey guys I hope im posting this in the right place and that there is not already a topic like this...But I use a logitech quickcam pro 9000 and am having problems with light flicker randomly happening. I have all the white balance things off, am making sure my hands are out of the way etc. Another thing is sometimes the backgrounds will randomly change like the way the light is reflecting off of it. Does anyone have any tips on avoiding light flicker or avoiding the change of brightness or whatever?

The Genera|

Re: Ways to Avoid Light Flicker?

First of all, make sure that you are wearing black clothing; this makes a big difference. Also make sure that your gain and exposure are also set on manual. If you're using paper over your lamps to diffuse the lighting, you need to be certain that there's no wind or anything knocking the paper, and that you let the paper settle if anything does make it start to sway, because that can make a huge difference. If none of these help, the only other thing I've heard of people doing is taking a step back from the set, and waiting a second or two for the camera to adjust to lighting and whatnot, then taking the picture. Hope this helps!

EDIT: Just thought of another thing, make sure your computer monitor isn't reflecting onto the set, and if it is and you can't change it, just make sure that you keep what's on your computer screen constant while brickfilming; having a mostly white screen in one picture, then a mainly black scene in another, makes a huge difference if the monitor is pointed anywhere near the set.

Last edited by kcirbfilms (March 22, 2012 (05:23pm))

kcirb-- its brick backwards.
Youtube

kcirbfilms wrote:

First of all, make sure that you are wearing black clothing; this makes a big difference. Also make sure that your gain and exposure are also set on manual. If you're using paper over your lamps to diffuse the lighting, you need to be certain that there's no wind or anything knocking the paper, and that you let the paper settle if anything does make it start to sway, because that can make a huge difference. If none of these help, the only other thing I've heard of people doing is taking a step back from the set, and waiting a second or two for the camera to adjust to lighting and whatnot, then taking the picture. Hope this helps!

EDIT: Just thought of another thing, make sure your computer monitor isn't reflecting onto the set, and if it is and you can't change it, just make sure that you keep what's on your computer screen constant while brickfilming; having a mostly white screen in one picture, then a mainly black scene in another, makes a huge difference if the monitor is pointed anywhere near the set.

Ok thanks! In your opinion is it better to have paper over the lamps or no?

The Genera|

It's recommended, because it helps diffuse the light over the set. Otherwise you have the light only on the area where the lamp directly hits; when you put paper over it, the light kinda spreads through the entire paper, and is a softer light (I'm not very good at explaining diffusing light, anyone else want to help out? mini/tongue )

Youtube

kcirbfilms wrote:

It's recommended, because it helps diffuse the light over the set. Otherwise you have the light only on the area where the lamp directly hits; when you put paper over it, the light kinda spreads through the entire paper, and is a softer light (I'm not very good at explaining diffusing light, anyone else want to help out? mini/tongue )

Hmmm this sounds like it will fix another problem I have been encountering mini/tongue I will have to try it! But... I will also need to get a new lamp... 1 of them gets supa hot. mini/tongue

The Genera|

Well you take a full-sized piece of paper and take two ends to the edges of a lamp, so the paper shouldn't get hot enough to catch on fire or anything because it's relatively far away from the bulb. I've never had anything like it happen to me, even after keeping lamps on all day, but that might have to do with the lamps I'm using. It really depends on how comfortable you are with your lamps, if you think that a lamp gets too hot, then I'd say yes you should get a new lamp.

Youtube

While I'm thankful for my camera, and it is a very good one, its manual features are limited.  This makes it impossible for me to adjust the F-Stop and shutter speed.  I have to use a pen occassionally to force the auto-focus to a certain depth.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

One thing that has helped me, is putting a large poster board behind the set. It helps to block some of the light.

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm

Go to the bathroom, look in the mirror (right into your own eyes) and say "Flicker flicker go away" three times. Works everytime mini/wink

*Sorry for trolling just felt like it. Make sure you don't move or bend your body when taking the pictures, everything has to stay the same. Use the curtains to block the sun light (better work in late evenings or nights) and make sure your lightning is correct. Use manual settings on the camera, there's not much to say mini/smile

LarryStudios wrote:

Go to the bathroom, look in the mirror (right into your own eyes) and say "Flicker flicker go away" three times. Works everytime mini/wink

*Sorry for trolling just felt like it. Make sure you don't move or bend your body when taking the pictures, everything has to stay the same. Use the curtains to block the sun light (better work in late evenings or nights) and make sure your lightning is correct. Use manual settings on the camera, there's not much to say mini/smile

Hmmm.... this might work mini/tongue

The Genera|

Hey, though my camera doesn't let me be as manual as I'd like to be, I found out that I can adjust the white balance, and it reduced flicker a whole lot!

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

I just tape Trash bags to my windows works perfectly

Ahhh yeah!!!

Youtube

One of the most obvious ways is to make sure your curtains are closed. Daylight changes by the minute as clouds move across the sky and the sun changes position. So block it out!

I always keep my curtains closed. Yet still occaisionally get light flicker. mini/confused

Turn off the ceiling lamp(s), so the ONLY light in the room comes from the desk lamps.

YouTube channel
N00bToob ebovv

I onlyuse the light fom the desk lamps.

One tip, don't touch your lamps while animating. If you do you almost certainly have flicker then.

What I do to make sure my films are Flicker-free(which they kinda aren't) is close the curtains, put an A4 sheet of white paper around the lamp and I stand well away when taking shots with my camera, in case a shadow creeps into the picture and makes me think ''is that a light flicker?'' Hope this should help!