Topic: A quick questionnaire guys

Hey guys I'm just doing a quick questionnaire for my dissertation research and it would be good if you guys could just answer a few questions, I need at least 10 people, I don't care for opinions on topics as I'm looking for quantifiable data but feel free to add if you want.

1. Do you think movies require extravagant visual effects (such as in Transformers, Avatar or The Matrix) for them to be successful?

- Yes
- No

2. How would you best describe the film 'Avatar' (2009) by James Cameron?

-Amazing Visuals
-Amazing Story
-Both
-Neither

3. Do you think visual effects impact narrative of movies positively or negatively?

-Positively
-Negatively

and why?.......

END

That's it, would really appreciate some responses over the weekend as i've got to finish this by friday.

Please respond as follows:

1. Yes/No

2. Amazing Visuals/Amazing Story/Both

3. Positively/Negatively

Because...

Cheers,

Richard
Rsteenoven
http://www.rsteenoven.co.uk,

Awesome community member.

Re: A quick questionnaire guys

-No
-Amazing Visuals
-Positively: in moderation. A CGI spectacle like Avatar or 2012 is nice to look at, but leaves me feeling totally unfulfilled. If visual effects are used to compliment the story instead of having a "wow" feature in every shot, then it's being used cleverly and effectively.

(I have no idea what I'm talking about.)

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

-No
-Amazing Visuals
-Positively

I do think the third question is a little unfair, it depends greatly on the film. If there were a "neither" option I'd have picked it.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

-No
-Amazing Visuals
-Positivelyish: Same as Smeagol, it greatly depends on the film.

"Of The Pond Films"
*funny quote here*   Youtube | Steam | Facebook

-No
-Amazing Visuals
-Positively

-No, but think it does help in some cases (are you talking about commercial success or critical success?)
-Amazing visuals
-Positively (same reason as Smeagol and 1011ev)

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

-No
-Neither
-It all depends on the way the effects are used. For LotR, it was a key reason the film was so good, for Battlefield Earth, it was a key reason it was so bad.
(TL;DR: Both.)

-No
-Amazing Visuals
-Positively, if done right, that is.  The effects have to fit the visual style/quality of the film.  If the effect fits, then it looks convincing.  Such as;
Realistic live-action = Most realistic effects as possible
Cheezy live-action = Can get away with a little less realism
3-D computer animation = Depends on how realistic the appearance is, usually less realistic
Stop-motion = Less realistic, somewhat cartoony
All 2-D animation = Least realistic, cartoony

I noticed that in brickfilms, many people make the effects too cartoony (like it was meant for a 2-D animation, just about any effects done in Paint) or too realistic.  But the effects AnnoyingNoisesProductions uses are very fitting to Lego.

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

No
Amazing visuals
Positively
(with moderation)

"every day I feel more pleased that sigging isn't a thing anymore" - Squash
YOUTUBE | Will voice act, ping me in the discord.
03:52    Smeagol    I should send girls turds in a box
01:28    Smeagol    That signature leaves me wondering if I should be sending more girls more turds in boxes than I presently am