Re: The D-SLR Discussion

I just got a T3i on loan from school.
Anything I should know?

http://i.imgur.com/lZUQ9.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/9CQIM.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/YZLtR.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/ICcjc.png

Repelling Spider wrote:
Creator Productions wrote:

Is the Canon Eos Utility useful for animation? I know it's not the same as stopmotion pro or dragonframe, but is it a good alternative for such a program?

Thank you!

Because no one answered your question, I thought I would! mini/smile I use the EOS Utility when animating for frame capture and I love it. Once I've taken my shots I stick them into Windows Live Movie Maker and do my timing there. For the black bars in my films, I use Microsoft Expression's overlay feature and simply use a widescreen Matte that I created in PS as my overlay. I hope to eventually get a stop motion software but until then I think the EOS Utility combined with something like Live Movie Maker is great. Sure it's simple, but it gets the job done.

Okay, thank you for the information Repelling Spider! Maybe I buy a T3i because such software doesn't come with the D5100.

Last edited by Creator Productions (March 2, 2012 (10:53am))

ZP wrote:

I just got a T3i on loan from school.
Anything I should know?

What are you planning on doing with it?

I'm filming a documentary for class.
Previously, I used the Panasonic HVX250 to shoot, but the professor got two T2is for the class to use.
I've played around with it, and I really like it so far.

http://i.imgur.com/lZUQ9.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/9CQIM.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/YZLtR.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/ICcjc.png

ZP wrote:

I'm filming a documentary for class.
Previously, I used the Panasonic HVX250 to shoot, but the professor got two T2is for the class to use.
I've played around with it, and I really like it so far.

Firstly, ask your professor about installing Magic Lantern Firmware on the camera(s). I Haven't used it (only renting at the moment), but heard that it opens up a lot of new features for video work.

Download / install the CineStyle Picture Profile, which gives the camera more dynamic range to tweak/edit in post-production.

If you don't / can't install CineStyle, set the picture profile up like this: Drop sharpness & contrast all the way down, and drop the saturation down to -2. Again, this gives you a flatter image that you can edit more in post-production.

I don't know what else you have access to equipment-wise, or what you will be specifically shooting, but here are some more tips/ideas for you:

Make sure you get good, clean audio. DSLRs are notorious for having little to no control over the audio, and what it does record is awful for the most part. There are many options for recording audio:

1) Shotgun microphone w/ boom pole
2) Shotgun microphone on top of the camera (like this)
3) Wireless lapel microphone

Record the audio through an XLR cable and into a recording device like the Zoom H4n (records the audio to SD cards) or the cheaper Tascam DR-40. You can then import the audio into your editing software, duplicate the channel that it was recorded to, and you have stereo sound. [I prefer the Zoom H4n because of it's microphones, and feedback from professionals]

Make sure that your video is stable, and watch out for jello cam and moire. If you do pan, practice keeping a consistent speed and not going too fast. Tripods (IMO) are essential for DSLR videography, especially if you're filming a talking head interview.

You might also be interested in making a DIY Shoulder Mount like this.

What lenses do you have access to? Remember that the T3i has a 1.6x crop sensor, not a full-frame sensor like the Canon 5D Markii or Markiii. If you are using full-frame lenses, keep that 1.6x crop factor in mind. Here's a quick cheat-sheet:

10mm (full-frame) = 16mm (crop sensor)
28mm = 44.8mm
50mm = 80mm
Etc., etc.

Will you be doing anything with lighting? What lights do you have access to?

What will you be editing the footage on? If Final Cut Pro 7, here's my current workflow:
1) Backup the card
2) Batch transcode the footage to Apple ProRes 422 (LT) via MPEG Streamclip.
3) Edit
4) Export reference video file
5) Use Apple Compressor to output for DVD, Web, and Video Files

Some more thoughts....

If you're planning on doing any slow-motion shots, or filming with ONLY one camera, then I highly recommend editing everything at 1280x720. If you only have one camera, film everything at 1920x1080 (24p is what I prefer). That way you have more to work with if you want to jump cut in an interview, for example. You can get multiple shots with the same footage. And if you're wanting to record any slow-motion footage, record it at 1280x720 60p, and then use Cinema Tools (or After Effects, Motion, etc.) to conform it to 24fps. You get a slowed-down version that looks REALLY smooth. You don't want to enlarge the 720p footage to fit into a 1080p sequence; it can look awful. Also remember that if you do conform the clip via Cinema Tools, make a copy of the file first, as you can't easily(?) reverse the process.

That's all I have for now. Let me know if you have any questions. mini/smile

EDIT: If you're in PAL land, disregard my frames-per-second recommendations. mini/smile

EDIT 2: If you can get your hands on a light-meter, it can be extremely useful. It shows you what what your ISO, shutter speed, and aperture should be.

I don't remember what the name of this rule is (180º, maybe?), but the idea is to keep your shutter at 2x your frames-per-second. For example...
24FPS = 1/48 shutter
30FPS = 1/60 shutter
60FPS = 1/120 shutter
If you don't have the appropriate shutter (The Canon 7D doesn't have 1/48, for example, use the one that's closest to your desired value, like 1/50 for 24fps.)

I'm not sure what the white balance settings are like on the T3i, but if it has custom white balance, get your hands on a while or gray card (18% gray) to white balance with.

When you're selecting ISO for video, only use the following values:
160, 320, 640, 1250, 1600. I don't remember why this is the case, though. mini/smile

Last edited by Cinexcellence (March 2, 2012 (02:11pm))

The 5D Mark 3 has just been announced and isn't it a powerhouse! Especially for video!

http://www.usa.canon.com/assets/app/images/callouts/cameras/callout_hdvideo_091511.jpg    http://www.usa.canon.com/assets/app/images/callouts/cameras/cdlc_148_rt.jpg

5D Mark III ?! mini/bigsmile mini/delirium mini/eek

Yes.

http://www.usa.canon.com/assets/app/images/callouts/cameras/callout_hdvideo_091511.jpg    http://www.usa.canon.com/assets/app/images/callouts/cameras/cdlc_148_rt.jpg

I've been using a Quickcam Pro 9000 for a while and my birthday is coming up, so I'm looking to upgrade to a DSLR and up the quality of my videos. The quickcam is good but I've had mine for a couple years and it's having some problems to do with crashing and freezing on occasion.
At the moment I'm looking at getting a 550D as it has a pretty affordable cost ($580 on eBay), as it not only comes with an 18 - 50mm lens which seems suitable for macro photography with lego but it also has a decent looking video mode.
I have dragon stop motion running on a windows 7 machine.

Last edited by ForlornCreature (March 21, 2012 (12:29am))

mini/smile

ForlornCreature wrote:

I've been using a Quickcam Pro 9000 for a while and my birthday is coming up, so I'm looking to upgrade to a DSLR and up the quality of my videos. The quickcam is good but I've had mine for a couple years and it's having some problems to do with crashing and freezing on occasion.
At the moment I'm looking at getting a 550D as it has a pretty affordable cost ($580 on eBay), as it not only comes with an 18 - 50mm lens which seems suitable for macro photography with lego but it also has a decent looking video mode.

Please note that due to the used technology, Canon stock lenses will result in flicker issues to some degree. Whether that is a problem is up to you.  However, vintage 28 and 50 mm lenses with adapter aren't that expensive and will give a flicker free result.

http://www.windlovers.nl/downloads/OBD/OBD_Banner.png

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep looking and I'll tell you what I end up with.

mini/smile

boardron wrote:
ForlornCreature wrote:

Please note that due to the used technology, Canon stock lenses will result in flicker issues to some degree. Whether that is a problem is up to you.  However, vintage 28 and 50 mm lenses with adapter aren't that expensive and will give a flicker free result.

While I will agree with this statement for the most part, I have been able to produce many videos with virtually no light flicker at all and I use the 18-55mm on my 550D. Now, I do get some, however I usually can edit it out quite quickly on the frames within the software I use. You'll probably eliminate the flicker and have less chance of it with the more vintage lenses, but I just wanted to throw my experiences in if they help. If you want an example of virtually no flicker with the 18-55, check out any of my videos.

I'm not sure why I've gotten so "lucky" with my camera, because I know many people have a lot of trouble with light flicker on these newer lenses on Canons.

From what I've seen by Repelling spider the performance is quite decent, I don't see any problems with the light flicker. I use dragonframe anyway so frames can be deleted and re-shot very easily. However if it does turn out to be cheaper or more effective I may go for a nikon lens with an adapter

mini/smile

Repelling Spider wrote:

While I will agree with this statement for the most part, I have been able to produce many videos with virtually no light flicker at all and I use the 18-55mm on my 550D. Now, I do get some, however I usually can edit it out quite quickly on the frames within the software I use. You'll probably eliminate the flicker and have less chance of it with the more vintage lenses, but I just wanted to throw my experiences in if they help. If you want an example of virtually no flicker with the 18-55, check out any of my videos.

I'm not sure why I've gotten so "lucky" with my camera, because I know many people have a lot of trouble with light flicker on these newer lenses on Canons.

This has been my same experience. I shoot with the Canon T2i (very similar to the T3i). I shoot mostly with the 18-55, but for close ups I use a tube extension (25mm I believe). I'm still very new to brick filming, but I haven't really had any issue with light flicker.

Setting I always make sure of is, set to manual, ISO is set (usually to 200), Image Stabilization is off, Auto Light Opt. is off, auto shut off is turned off and I manually set the white balance. Take a look at any of my videos for examples. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Be sure to follow me on:
FaceBook
YouTube
Twitter

Does anyone have ANY idea when the T4i will be announced?

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm

RedBrick1 wrote:

No clue, there is no release date or anything set I believe. The only thing you'll be able to find are a bunch of rumors, which, in my opinion, are not worth going by. I googled it and I can't believe the T3i has been out almost a year! It seems like it came out just yesterday... but then again I have owned my T2i almost 2 years now.

Repelling Spider wrote:
RedBrick1 wrote:

No clue, there is no release date or anything set I believe. The only thing you'll be able to find are a bunch of rumors, which, in my opinion, are not worth going by. I googled it and I can't believe the T3i has been out almost a year! It seems like it came out just yesterday... but then again I have owned my T2i almost 2 years now.

I am really looking forward to it. If it is a big enough jump up from the T3i I will get the T4i, but if it isn't, I know I can get the T3i for a much lower price.

RedBrick1 wrote:

I am really looking forward to it. If it is a big enough jump up from the T3i I will get the T4i, but if it isn't, I know I can get the T3i for a much lower price.

Yeah, unless there is some sort of large improvement, I can't see how it would be worth it. One thing nice it will do either way is to lower prices on the T3i an T2i. Both of which are nice cameras to use for film and animation work, IMO. However, when it is time for me to get a new camera (probably soon, cause I'd imagine my shutter will be going out mini/sad ),  I will most likely be trying to get a full frame body, whether it be the 5d Mark II or the 7d. It all depends on what I can afford at the time. I'll probably keep my T2i and simply get the shutter fixed and have it as a backup.

Repelling Spider wrote:
RedBrick1 wrote:

Yeah, unless there is some sort of large improvement, I can't see how it would be worth it. One thing nice it will do either way is to lower prices on the T3i an T2i. Both of which are nice cameras to use for film and animation work, IMO. However, when it is time for me to get a new camera (probably soon, cause I'd imagine my shutter will be going out mini/sad ),  I will most likely be trying to get a full frame body, whether it be the 5d Mark II or the 7d. It all depends on what I can afford at the time. I'll probably keep my T2i and simply get the shutter fixed and have it as a backup.

Agreed, about how long does the shutter last? That is one of the reasons I have been hesitant to use a DSLR for brickfilming.

RedBrick1 wrote:

Agreed, about how long does the shutter last? That is one of the reasons I have been hesitant to use a DSLR for brickfilming.

It depends on the camera model. It's really hard to find the true shutter life expectancy for each model and I'm still not sure what it is for sure with the T2i. This website claims to know a lot of them though (you have to scroll pretty far down before the chart is listed). Whether or not their marks are accurate or not, I don't know. It does seem like the T2i might have somewhere around 100,000-150,000 actuations. I use to be shooting 1,000+ photographs a month for almost 2 years, not counting the paid photo jobs I did. From photography alone I probably have used around 50,000 I would say. For The Magic Seeds, I took around 1,600 shots.