Topic: Choppy animation after exporting to avi

Hello. I animated a smooth animation in monkeyjam. After I got finished animating I exported it to avi without compressor. I wanted to see it in windows movie maker but the animation turned out really choppy. Is there a way to solve that problem? The video editing program I use is lightworks.

~
RovyStudios

New videos will come in 2012. We wish everyone a merry christmas and a happy new year.

Re: Choppy animation after exporting to avi

I can't say this for certain, as I haven't so much as opened WMM in years, but I think that it will lag when you have a lot of pictures in rapid succession. Of course if you've exported it as a video file and opened that in WMM (.avi is a video file, right?), then I have no idea. Maybe WMM is still lagging even with a video file, or you're exporting the images as too long?

kcirb-- its brick backwards.
Youtube

I'm pretty sure it's because of the lack of compression, which in turn makes the video very large in file (And therefore, longer to buffer and choppier). I don't know what computer you have or the specs, but this problem can happen on most any computer.

Either that, or the resolution is very high, or what kcirbfilms said above.

http://tinyurl.com/krwj4ek
http://tinyurl.com/kvxr6umhttp://tinyurl.com/kxofj4mhttp://tinyurl.com/k5fw3syhttp://tinyurl.com/m4rv8tf

Are you exporting directly to an external drive?

I just exported it from moneyjam to avi. The image size I selected was DV-PAL. But how can I make my animation smooth again? I did not exported it to an external hard drive.

New videos will come in 2012. We wish everyone a merry christmas and a happy new year.

I figured out that when I put the video on pause and skip some ( however it only contains 1 second of film) some parts become smoother. Can it be that when it is compressed with a video editor that all of the animations will be back smooth? I only made two completed brickfilms till now on so I don't know much about how all the software works.

Well, I have a pretty good computer and every once in a while it lags on me too.
I work with uncompressed AVI though.
What are your computer specs? And could you try exporting it uncompressed and then running it through WMM, exporting and compressing it there and see what comes out?

Also, WMM isn't that great, it may be partly the program's fault.

Rovy, when you say choppy, do you mean that frames seem to be dropped "out of the video" or does the video look basically like a speed-up slide show of pictures and not a animation?

If its the latter, you might just need to increase the fps before exporting the .avi in monkeyjam.

If its the first problem, it gets a little more complicated.  I have this problem when I try to play any large video files on basically any Microsoft program (i.e. Media Player, Movie Maker, etc.)... it always seems to lag.  Compression would help with this problem as there would be less video file to "buffer" but I wouldn't recommend compressing the video file until you have the final production to save as much picture quality as possible.

I guess my real question is, why would you even need to import the video into WMM?  It's my understanding that Lightworks has the same functionality as WMM, only its much better.

If I'm on the forums, I'm probably waiting for Blender to finish rendering.

Try selecting the DV-NTSC setting. That's what works for me...

"Of The Pond Films"
*funny quote here*   Youtube | Steam | Facebook

Wingman_mn wrote:

Rovy, when you say choppy, do you mean that frames seem to be dropped "out of the video" or does the video look basically like a speed-up slide show of pictures and not a animation?

If its the latter, you might just need to increase the fps before exporting the .avi in monkeyjam.

If its the first problem, it gets a little more complicated.  I have this problem when I try to play any large video files on basically any Microsoft program (i.e. Media Player, Movie Maker, etc.)... it always seems to lag.  Compression would help with this problem as there would be less video file to "buffer" but I wouldn't recommend compressing the video file until you have the final production to save as much picture quality as possible.

I guess my real question is, why would you even need to import the video into WMM?  It's my understanding that Lightworks has the same functionality as WMM, only its much better.

I imported the movie to lightworks. Then I got stuck on another problem. First the movie playedbat 25 fps instead of 15fps and second the video came out a little bit blurry, however the quality was good in monkeyjam.

With Lightworks, the video's framerate always gets changed to match the project's framerate.  To counteract this, you change the speed.  For a 15 fps video, set the project to 30 fps and slow down the video 50%.

By the way, did you play the video from where it's stored on your computer to make sure there aren't any problems with the video itself?

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

Yeah, that is a draw back with Lightworks: it only have much higher fps then is required for brickfilming.  Easy way around this is exporting your video from monkey jam at fps and hold each from for 2 frames instead of 1. 

Go File>Import>Images, then select you pictures you want and make sure in the box that says "Hold" it says 2.  Then just export as .avi at 30 fps.  As for the blurry issue, I don't have any ideas for that... just make sure you export the video from monkey jam at its highest possible quality.

I guess another alternative is you could import the pictures directly into Lightworks and skip the .avi file altogether.  I don't remember entirely how to do this but nothing a quick Google search couldn't find. mini/wink

If I'm on the forums, I'm probably waiting for Blender to finish rendering.

Perhaps it's just a lack of playback in your video editor. What I mean by this is that I think you're saying it looks choppy in the video editor. Export your film from the video editor, then play the actual file. I've had a 'choppy' look in sony vegas before because the play back quality was too high. I either exported it to see that complete smoothness of the film, or just lowered the quality of playback.

RovyStudios wrote:

Hello. I animated a smooth animation in monkeyjam. After I got finished animating I exported it to avi without compressor. I wanted to see it in windows movie maker but the animation turned out really choppy. Is there a way to solve that problem? The video editing program I use is lightworks.

~
RovyStudios

I am also a animated a smooth animation in London, let me know if any one need help mini/smile

I'm just going to assume RovyStudios was able to come up with a solution for this issue in the 6 years since the last post in this thread.

As I know, AVI is a format for saving video without losing any data. Most of these information are just useful for editing and if you want to export, try mp4 (h.264) codec.
I think your exported AVI is too huge or has a lot of unneeded data, so it causes crashes in the playback.