Topic: Introducing BRIC CRITIC

All that really needs to be said is in the video, so I'll just link you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDXfRpkWGoQ

This is mostly aimed at my YouTube audience, but of course anyone is welcome to submit.  The point is though that I'll be selecting films that need work, and hopefully giving helpful and positive feedback.  Every YouTube "lego movie maker" out there has potential, and I think we as animators should help where we can.

Re: Introducing BRIC CRITIC

Every YouTube "lego movie maker" out there has potential...

For good or for evil?

This is a great idea. It'll most likely be frustrating, but I can see the potential.

The only thing I disagree on is semantics - you say we should help were we can because we are animators. I say we should help because we know more about animation (technically, they are animators too). But that's just me being picky, feel free to ignore this paragraph.

Smile and say hello to people. It costs you nothing and can brighten their day.

YouTube PM sent...

Well put, I originally had written "because we more skilled" but decided that sounded too aloof.  Anyway, I know it won't exactly be easy, I've already been flooded with nearly 50 messages since posting this late last night, but I expected it.  As I noted in the video, it is also keeping my channel alive, because very soon I was going to run out of older content to upload, and I still have several years of college before I'll be able to access my LEGO, and after that I have to worry about a job, and other things.  This allows me to keep my channel from dying.  Looking at it from a more monetary point of view, thanks to Google Adsense, I earn about a dollar a day from my channel.  Not much, but it ads up, and I welcome any extra cash.

Sounds like a good idea I'll submit a film possibly. But its gonna suck if you can't brickfilm for a couple years.

Nathan Wells wrote:

Not much, but it ads up, and I welcome any extra cash.

mini/lol

Well,it's a good idea,and we'll have to see how it turns out for you,Nathan.

11:41 Hazzat NO FUN ALLOWED IN BRICKFILMING COMMUNITY

Nathan Wells wrote:

...I still have several years of college before I'll be able to access my LEGO...

You obviously still have a webcam. KG and I are, I think, proving that you don't need access to a ton of lego to turn out a quick 30 second thing for fun every now and then - and if you don't drop a Radiohead tune into the mix, you can earn cash off it. I have some ideas for other things outside the realm of natural justice for bad standups that should be equally easy to do, and it's literally a half a day's work (not counting the time spent afterwards pressing F5 to see if you have any new comments). It's a good lesson for the people who follow your tutorials too - you don't need to spend $100s on lego or devote years to learning CG techniques, just pick up a $5 lego set, point your camera at it and go.

Last edited by 0ldScratch (February 15, 2009 (07:48am))

I've just launched a new series, somewhat related to Bric Critic, called Fellow Animators.  You can check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce8pHdISL6A

Ooh, I like that. mini/bigsmile

Life is like a box of LEGO, you never know what you're gonna build. - mrgraff

Good idea. It should open the eyes of those still stuck watching leggo muvveys.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

Have you received any messages from people wanting to be promoted yet? You should have kept on the opening annotation on for longer so people could properly read it and realize that you choose who to feature.

"Animation is about creating the illusion of life. And you can't create it if you don't have one." - Brad Bird

I love that idea, it helps people see the light...

_2014

Cool stuff, Nathan. mini/smile

Sorry, VN told me about this, so I should have thought to warn you, but he actually animated 5 of the twelve shots in the film, so one of the shots you showed was done by me. It's no problem, though. I should have thought to let you know what shots he did.

- Leo

...acc, sometimes I would be a real brickfilmer, and put the right film at the right moment, but I still have no more than a hundred people watching a video against the ten thousand people looking at any other brickfilm...I wuold do anything to increase the commonness ( or popularity, I'm Italian so I don't know what word use mini/rolleyes ) of my videos...

Hah, wouldn't we all...

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

Good idea; Many people will find this usefull!

Nathan, what is the purpose of this project? I thought you would be helping people by promoting amateur filmmakers needing help brickfilming. The video you posted was by VN and Leonardo812, who are both really good. It seems like you are just promoting, already popular, amazing videos. I hoped you could help out n00b animators like me become as good as VN and Leonardo812 and you. mini/madhead

Bric Critic and Fellow Animators are two completely separate series.  I am still reviewing the Bric Critic entries.  Bric Critic is designed to to give new animators help by critiquing one of their own films on camera, while Fellow Animators is designed to direct attention to animators who I think deserve more recognition.

Please pay a little more attention.

Nathan Wells wrote:

Bric Critic and Fellow Animators are two completely separate series.  I am still reviewing the Bric Critic entries.  Bric Critic is designed to to give new animators help by critiquing one of their own films on camera, while Fellow Animators is designed to direct attention to animators who I think deserve more recognition.

Please pay a little more attention.

Sorry for my ignorance. I will pay utmost attention to future posts by Nathan Wells. mini/bigsmile

Will you ever have a school holiday to go home and make more brickfilms?