Topic: To throw away your work

Do you ever throw away your half-finished work because you lose interest in it, it didn't turn out as you had hoped, or for some other reason?

I am asking because I have relatively little left to do on my first brick film project (shoot the last scene, add a few remaining sound effects, select appropriate music piece). It has taught med a lot about the steps of the process from idea to a working film, so it has served a very good and important purpose. But it didn't turn out at all as I had envisioned, and I find it hard to focus my energy on finishing it just because I should. Instead, my head is full of ideas and desire to pursue the next project and use all the knowledge gained from the first attempt to make the next one so much better.

The satisfaction of releasing a finished production must be great, but since this is just a hobby, I figure that the time spent should be as enjoyable as possible.

Any opinions?

Re: To throw away your work

I back my old footage up for future reference.

_2014

I don't get this anymore. My movies are so short that they're all made in a day.

I've got loads of old unfinished movies on my hard drive and on tape.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

Eh, no. The farthest I get without finishing it is at the script.

Life is like a box of LEGO, you never know what you're gonna build. - mrgraff

I have an uncanny ability for making seemingly simple projects take weeks or even months at a time. I generally force myself to try and finish those projects, since I really hate having to discard unused footage (especially if I really like what I have).

Last edited by MindGame (February 25, 2009 (11:31am))

I just bite the bullet and say to myself that I have to finish it

-Darkman

https://i.imgur.com/C9qJKA8.jpg
youtube]                   Twitter]

I like finishing my projects, you get a feeling of accomplishment.

_2014

I worked on an independent film a few years ago. It was mad fun and I learnt a lot about live action film making, but the project was never finished. Nice way to spend $40,000.

Personally, I would recommend finishing it, simply because it is always best to have a finished project, have something to show for your work. Especially if it is nearly all done.

For future projects, I would recommend making shorter films in order to avoid this problem. Several short films that are complete are infinitely better than one ambitious project that is never finished.

Smile and say hello to people. It costs you nothing and can brighten their day.

Hazzat wrote:

I don't get this anymore. My movies are so short that they're all made in a day.

I've got loads of old unfinished movies on my hard drive and on tape.

Me too.

I've been meaning to do a long term project, but I don't have the time. In fact, I thought of an awesome idea last night, based on real life.

I've got a few Mike and Ike episodes that I never finished.

Also, I never finished a Music Video, as I got a QC9k.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fib12345/Lolz/lulz.png
"actuallly this involves spiderman too, not batman. but im also taking a new approach, more comedy, less action. i dont see to many movies like that with more comedy than action" --SteveStarfyTV on an Indiana Jones meets Star Wars idea.

Yes, we're (I'm) still waiting for the next Mike and Ike...

But that's drifting off-topic.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

Whao. If you spend $40 000 on a movie, you'd think that you'd finish it.

I have countless horror movies that I wafted away because they were unoriginal. Usually I get sick of ideas.

-Jimmybob

Last edited by jimmybob (February 25, 2009 (03:06pm))

Move over Rover, let Jimi take over.
[email protected]

I usually don't consciously scrap ideas. Normally, I just keep forgetting about them until I just give them up.

I have A LOT of unfinished stuff.

Including my Christmas Special that was supposed to come out last year. ugggh.
Maybe I'll get it out for Christmas this year. It's pretty long.

And also another one that was really long that's gone now, is One vs Seven 2.
I put it off for a bit, and then one day my hard drive deleted half of the files I had on there. Including the movie and all the animation files. That was pretty sad. mini/blankexpression That was in September I think.
Oh well. I've also got some more movies I haven't finished yet because I still haven't gotten some lines from my brother or my friend yet. Once I get those I think I post the movie when get it all edited together.:P
I have a few other things I was doing but forgot about, the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince 1st trailer, The Dark Knight Trailer 2, The Dark Knight TV Spot. There's a bunch more stuff, those are the only things that stick out in my mind though.
I think I should show you guys some of that stuff. I might want to finish them though. We'll see.:P

This happens to me sometimes, mostly when I come up with another idea for a film. Then I sometimes scrap the film I'm working on and make that.

Website YouTube Twitter
http://i45.tinypic.com/2mruqon.jpg
Check out my live action directing debut, The Day That Never Comes

I have a bit of unfinished stuff. I once threw out 10 minutes of footage from my film "The Bounty Hunter IV" which will never be released.

NickMOC wrote:

I have a bit of unfinished stuff. I once threw out 10 minutes of footage from my film "The Bounty Hunter IV" which will never be released.

So, you really AREN'T going to release it? I thought you said you were just gonna re-do the whole thing?

YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
Darkness cannot be destroyed. It can only be channelled.

jimmybob wrote:

Whao. If you spend $40 000 on a movie, you'd think that you'd finish it.

I have countless horror movies that I wafted away because they were unoriginal. Usually I get sick of ideas.

-Jimmybob

Well, what about the next part of your film: "No Such Thing as a Vampire". Your voice actors, Sparks Flying, Si116, Darkman, and crisscross are very disapointed that their characters didn't make it all (crisscross must be the most disapointed one of the cast because in part 1, Dr. Michel Verers didn't make an onscreen aperance yet but will in part 2). How much longer will part 2 be compleated?

I am the master of unfinished films. My films, 5, to my unfinished, 20+, the odds are staggering. But 6:66PM is getting somewhere, but slowly.

If you're that close to finishing it, you could always finish it and post it, and get advice on how to improve for your next film.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

I always put loads of stuff on hold.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein