Re: 81st Academy Awards

Nathan Wells wrote:

WALL-E got shafted.

I am not pleased.

*cocks AK-47*

...Wasn't it you who said you didn't give a !@#$ about Wall-E?

YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
Darkness cannot be destroyed. It can only be channelled.

Nathan on the first page, 12 posts down wrote:

WALL-E should have been nominated for Best Picture.
That said, I'm pleased with the rest of it's nominations.  It better win at least three of them.
I don't care about the other films.

In short, no.

I just came back for Slumdog Millionaire mini/bigsmile

It was REALLY good.

It deserved the Oscar.

-Darkman

https://i.imgur.com/C9qJKA8.jpg
youtube]                   Twitter]

I'm glad Slumdog got Best Picture. Isn't in the first British film to do so since 1948 or something? It is a great film and I love the soundtrack, nothing like livening up the bus ride home from school with a bit of bollywood beats!

rstudios.co.uk - Brand New Website Up And Running!
Experiencing problems with Rstudios.co.uk? Tell me HERE.

MindGame wrote:
Nathan on the first page, 12 posts down wrote:

WALL-E should have been nominated for Best Picture.
That said, I'm pleased with the rest of it's nominations.  It better win at least three of them.
I don't care about the other films.

In short, no.

Ah. My apologies, then.

YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
Darkness cannot be destroyed. It can only be channelled.

I'm glad Benjamin Button didn't get much recognition.

-LBJ

AHH THE JET SET '60'S, THANKS NANCY!
Youtube | JM-Music | Facebook
"But 3D is cool as nipples, man. " - Jimmybob

I am kind of annoyed that most of the films that won an award were 'R'; I would really like to see most of them. I still feel that Sean Penn's win is a political statement, and that the Academy is totally biased towards animated films; if there ever was an animated film that deserved a 'Best Film' win, it was WALL•E.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

LBJ, I think that Benjamin received too many. mini/wink And about Wall-e, Littlebrick, I personally liked it, but I just don't think it had a global appeal.  I think why that might've been is just because it's a turn from the usual entertaining comedic Pixar mold.  This was offsetting to some people, including my parents, who hated Wall-e

I, myself, enjoyed the Oscars.  I liked the five presenters concept, and Ben Stiller's Phoenix was amusing.  Some of the presenters were a bit lame, but overall it was a pleasant show.  I really need to see Slumdog now.  Speaking of things I haven't seen, was I the only one who had never heard of Revolutionary Road before?

Littlebrick wrote:

I still feel that Sean Penn's win is a political statement...

I urge you to see Milk when you are able to. The film is very, very good and Sean Penn gives a truly phenomenal and chameleonic performance, he really does become Harvey Milk. Granted, the Best Actor award was a really coin toss between him and Mickey Rourke, so either one could have one, but I'm still very happy Penn won.

I still think/agree that WALL-E and The Dark Knight were very definite contenders for Best Picture (especially the latter), but there were a few factors that probably worked against them. For WALL-E, some of the political statements the film made may have turned off some voters, and with the addition of the ghetto known as Best Animated Feature, it's going to take some serious strength for an animated film to get recognized in the Best Picture category.

For The Dark Knight, maybe some voters still weren't just ready to nominate a superhero film for the grand prize (though the film's omission from Best Director and/or Adapted Screenplay is unforgivable. I believe TDK deserved a nod in at least one of the major categories other than Supporting Actor).

And then, of course, you have the token Holocaust film, The Reader. And the Academy does love their Holocaust flicks (here's to Inglorious !@#$%^&* getting a BP nod next year mini/tongue)

Last edited by MindGame (February 23, 2009 (08:35pm))

I thought the show was really boring, missing much of what made past ones interesting missing. Apparently they hired some producers to rethink the presentation, which doesn't seem to have paid off. I wasn't at all surprised by the winners, too, which didn't help.

I doubt it was the "political statements" in WALL-E, but simply the fact that people can't accept that an animated film can be something more than just for kids, just like people can't accept a superhero film can be something more than just for teenagers.  Plus, WALL-E was already unconventional for an animated film (with the lessened dialog).  WALL-E was radical (as was The Dark Knight), and people are slow to radical things.  Oh well.

I've basically concluded this: the Academy is one organization, just a bunch a people who say stuff about films and pass out shiny statues.  They aren't the authority on what is a great film.  Viewers should decide that on their own.

Predictable turnout, no real suprises.
I haven't seen Slumdog Millionaire yet, but I will go see it this week. Looking forward to it.

I like when "The Duchess" won for best costume, I was annoyed with the best song category, I wasn't in the mood for non-enlish music.

I'm not too perturbed by Wall-E's omission from the Best Picture nominees (though I certainly think the selection was still flawed), but I think it would have deserved to win the score and song categories.

I've basically concluded this: the Academy is one organization, just a bunch a people who say stuff about films and pass out shiny statues.  They aren't the authority on what is a great film.  Viewers should decide that on their own.

Well, it's not necessarily an organization in the sense of being hermetic and closed; you have to remember that all the people in the AMPAS are filmmakers themselves; and certainly have a good degree of credibility... which isn't saying that I hold their judgement to be universally valid at all. I personally think that the Independent Spirit Awards are a lot better at rewarding quality than the Oscars are.

MindGame wrote:

For WALL-E, some of the political statements the film made may have turned off some voters...

Which is odd, considering the "political statements" which people think they saw weren't intended to be political statements. They were just intended to be another part of the story.

People overanalyze things too much.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

Well, they were good precisely because they managed to deliver their message while staying a part of the story, right? I didn't perceive any kind of preachy attitude, but I still walked away from the film thinking about the potential results of our current lifestyle. It's not even that the scenario in the film would happen; what I think the filmmakers wanted to do was to suggest to us how much we're losing already.

Yeah, I agree. To me, WALL-E didn't come off as preachy like a Michael Moore or Oliver Stone film; the politics in the subtext were used in a way to convey the idea of humanity that follows an increasingly degenerating lifestyle for generations upon generations. The politics in the film fuel the story, not the story fueling the politics. I just think that maybe some Oscar voters thought the opposite, and were turned off by them.

Though I still believe WALL-E's chances at BP would have been much greater if the Best Animated Feature category didn't exist.

According to the DVD commentary, the fact that Earth was covered in trash was solely by chance, and merely evolved that way because Andrew Stanton wanted WALL-E to be a "lower-class" robot, and one of the lowest classes he could think of was a trash compactor.  Also, the humans in the final cut were originally giant jelly blobs.  Or aliens.  Or both.  Not humans as we know it at all.  The so-called "political statements" were just a byproduct from the real story: a tale of love between characters who happen to be robots.

I was pretty unhappy when Down to Earth was smashed up against the songs from Slumdog Millionaire. That just drove me nuts. It's not that I hated SM's music, I didn't like how either sounded when they mixed the two (which I felt they did [the mixing] a bit more than I could take this ceremony [I don't mind a mash up or cover, but theirs just seemed... I don't know, badly done?]). Just my opinion though, maybe I'm too conservative mini/tongue.

Nathan Wells wrote:

According to the DVD commentary, the fact that Earth was covered in trash was solely by chance, and merely evolved that way because Andrew Stanton wanted WALL-E to be a "lower-class" robot, and one of the lowest classes he could think of was a trash compactor.  Also, the humans in the final cut were originally giant jelly blobs.  Or aliens.  Or both.  Not humans as we know it at all.  The so-called "political statements" were just a byproduct from the real story: a tale of love between characters who happen to be robots.

and the only reason that they had made the change was because they thought they were distancing the audience too much.