Topic: bad quickcam 9000 picture quality

I've been animating short tests with my new quickcam pro 9000 but there seems to be lots of off-putting squares in the picture (mainly the part not focused on) that keep moving around whenever I take a new frame! Is there something I've missed in the settings? It's had the same result in monkeyjam, animatordv simple + and the quickcam window. Can someone help me?

This is an example...the picture is captured at 960x720...
http://i41.tinypic.com/300h8nq.jpg

Last edited by blingblongstudios (February 21, 2009 (09:57am))

Re: bad quickcam 9000 picture quality

Try going onto settings. Make the Focus manual, everything manual, and just fiddle around with it until you feel like it's at the right spot. Hope this helps. mini/wink

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

justkidden wrote:

Try going onto settings. Make the Focus manual, everything manual, and just fiddle around with it until you feel like it's at the right spot. Hope this helps. mini/wink

I've looked at several tutorial at brickfilms.com that all mention the same thing: turn up exposure and gain down, turn off auto settings. I've done that! Also, it says something about shutter speed...does the qc9000 have this?
(thanks for replying so quickly!)

The image looks a little yellow. (I'm not refering to their faces!!). I get this when the lighting is too dim, increase your lighting dramatically. very very bright. set the camera to its default settings in auto and wait for the camera to adjust, have a look at the positions of the sliders and then go to all manual. This gives you a good starting point for adjustments.

Try to use frame averaging also as this will get rid of a lot of that annoying pixel flickering.

Just one other thing to try is that this image appears to be highly compressed. The pixel squares are the result of jpeg compression (8x8 sampling). Is this just so you could post the image here, or is this how it comes out from your editor? Try capturing a still image with the logitech software and see if its any better. if so, its your editing method not the camera. If its bad, try reinstalling your camera. Connect SOFTWARE before connecting your camera.

Free Animation Software at www.HeliumFrog.com

thanks martinprice2004! I held the light over the set so it was about a few inches away from it and then took the picture. The image appears better quality although there are still a few small annoying squares. How am I meant to hold the light in place while doing any other films though? Plus, wouldn't the lego melt?

Here is the image (note i had greaseproof paper over the light - should I remove it to get a better picture?)
http://i42.tinypic.com/1076dk8.jpg

Greaseproof paper??? Try using normal white printer paper.

rsteenoven wrote:

Greaseproof paper??? Try using normal white printer paper.

I did try plain white paper but I found it cut too much light out...I'll try it again to make sure...

Then either turn up your exposure or try tracing paper. Greaseproof paper is definitely going to make it a weird colour.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

right, I replaced the greaseproof paper with normal paper and took a picture. It looks better quality than the last one and has less small squares but it looks too light (although i need strong lighting to get a good picture as you said) and again I had to hold the lamp at an angle so it was a few inches away from the set! I can't do this while animating! Should I get a lamp with a flexible neck?

Here's the picture:
http://i40.tinypic.com/j6h75c.jpg

Last edited by blingblongstudios (February 21, 2009 (12:06pm))

I suggest you do get a fexible light. I use two Angle Poiser lights. Whilst you only need one, they should be bright enough and able to light the whole set. The bigger the better.

-MRB

YouTube
Max, She/They

I took a picture at 640x480 and was surprised to see that there were hardly any square things! Anyway, I continued animating and i'm uploading it to youtube right now. I'll put up a link when it's finished...

This is looking much better, I think you need more light. If you are using 240v lighting, you will melt your lego. Try to get a lamp which uses halogen lamp bulbs, they are cooler as they run through a transformer at 12v, or some strip (tube) lighting. Places like Ikea in Europe do then for about £10 - £15.

Heres an image from a logitech qc9000. Remember this has been compressed for display on a webpage so the actual quality is much better. This was taken with one halogen lamp placed about 30cm above the figures. I didn't bother with any paper over the light, so the shadows are a bit harsh.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/martincprice … log_01.jpg

I still suspect your driver may not be installed correctly. A big hint that this is the case is that the resolutions your offered in your capture software doesn't give you 1600x1200 as an option but something less as the maximum resolution. I read your posts earlier and you mentioned 960 x 720, if this is the maximum you can get its certain to be the driver as I had the same issue. Completely uninstall the camera , reboot, then insert the driver cd. Connect the camera only when told to do so by the software. This cures the problem and you get a full 1600 x 1200 resolution.

When you have time take some stills using the logitech software, this way you can then determine once and for all whether the fault is with the camera or later on in your method of animation (ie capture software or editor / compression)

Last edited by martinprice2004 (February 21, 2009 (04:49pm))

Free Animation Software at www.HeliumFrog.com

ok I think it must be the lighting that I need to improve on...As for the test, well it's up on youtube and here is a link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBaQw5k1IMs
(I know it should really be in the test section)
The end result is really blurry which is frustating as it was a lot better quality. This is the first time I have uploaded an avi file (ll the rest have been wmv. I used virtual dub to make it widescreen So it fills to youtube screen. Can someone advise me on this? Should I convert it and then upload it? This is the first time youtube has let me down...PLEASE HELP!