Topic: Lego rights

Hello,
I'm glad to be back on bricksinmotion.

I have a question about the copyrights of Lego. I'm trying to create a movie with bricks that would be aired on TV (and things are going really well). But, do I need Lego "validation" to use the bricks and minifigs in a movie ?
I mean, this is not an homemade video with friends, it's a production with a professional team.

Last edited by iguana (February 23, 2009 (07:04am))

PunBB bbcode test

Re: Lego rights

You probably would i'd try contacting LEGO as they're the Experts.

_2014

The Doctor contacted Lego about this for The Lego Movie Project. They said that he couldn't make a profit.

Last edited by Hazzat (February 23, 2009 (09:37am))

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

As far as I know you can do anything you like, so long as you don't show the Lego logo or name, and don't use any minifigs.

For example, the video for "Fell in love with a girl" by the white stripes uses Lego but from the way it is filmed you can't tell if the bricks are Lego, Mega Bloks, Best Bloks or other clone.

If you are looking to make a professional grade film for profit, then I recommend either claymation or latex puppets over armatures. Both are harder to work with than Lego but since you would be creating your own characters there would be no issue of copyright.

Smile and say hello to people. It costs you nothing and can brighten their day.

You bought the LEGO bricks. You didn't only pay for the toy, but for rights to use it however you want.
--fib12345 and his THEORY, SO DON'T SELL YOUR MOVIE TO THE WORLD JUST YET mini/wink

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fib12345/Lolz/lulz.png
"actuallly this involves spiderman too, not batman. but im also taking a new approach, more comedy, less action. i dont see to many movies like that with more comedy than action" --SteveStarfyTV on an Indiana Jones meets Star Wars idea.

Fib, unfortunately that logic is a tad faulty.  It is the same kind of logic which leads people to think that they have the right to use licensed songs (ie one bought from WMG) that were legally bought from iTunes or some such in their videos for profit.  It just doesn't work that way.

Anyhoo, I'd like to welcome you back, and I think it's great that you're thinking big.  I'm trying to think if you would need permission to use the LEGO's for profit.  Continuing Leonardo's thoughts, it might be plausible that you could use the LEGO's to sell to TV if the baseplates and visible brick studs didn't say LEGO (so are clone brands).  If you could either do that, or find someway that the "LEGO" on the studs is not decipherable, then it might be possible that you could use them.  Just a disclaimer that I am in no way a lawyer, however.  Just my two cents.

Good luck and I look forward to the next Henri & Edmond (hopefully), and this is kind of unrelated, but I am willing to assist with voice acting in any way you need (I speak French).  mini/wink

ManVan wrote:

Good luck and I look forward to the next Henri & Edmond (hopefully), and this is kind of unrelated, but I am willing to assist with voice acting in any way you need (I speak French).  mini/wink

As would I. I speak French as well, so I would be able to also.

YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
Darkness cannot be destroyed. It can only be channelled.

Dudes, maybe he makes it this time English AND French? That's my idea tough.

''You don't have to tell him how great is coffee is man!''

Hey guys,
I'm glad to announce that the TV series I'm trying to create is in fact based on Henri & Edmond.
I finally found a production agency who accepted to help me on the project, and yesterday, we sent a document explaining everything to the marketing department of Lego. Answers coming soon. I was hoping that even if they refuse, we can still create it... but it appears that we NEED their approval.
If everything goes fine, we will probably make a season of 6 to 10 episodes of 7 minutes each. With money going on with producers and partners, It will be an everyday struggle to keep my original ideas intact. But I'm very optimistic, and very happy to use "The New Neighbour" as a pilot episode for the upcoming series !
About the voice acting, ManVan and maggosh, be sure that I won't forget you. T.G-Tom, I don't think it will have english dialogues... but of course, we'll add at least english subtitles as well.
I'll try to keep everybody here informed about the evolution of the project.

PunBB bbcode test

Sounds awesome! Good luck.

Let us know what Lego say, I think this'll be the first time someone has actually had a viable project worth asking them about. Hope it goes well for you!

Smile and say hello to people. It costs you nothing and can brighten their day.

Or if all else fails you could offer LEGO 5% of all money made.

I know Robot Chicken has had a few shorts air on the [adult swim] block with Lego minifigs and bricks in them (as well as mentioning the Lego brand). They've definitely made a profit. I'm sure Lego will be receptive if you act professionally and courteously.

Cheers!
-Nich

(P.S. Links contain mature subject matter/language-clicker discretion advised)

"See...this is why we can't have nice things."
21:05 Nich: Am I a purdy lady? : D
21:05 Smeagol: yes?

Dammit, it doesn't work for me.