Re: 81st Academy Awards

Fun times. Man on Wire is fantastic...see it on the big screen if at all possible. I didn't when I had the chance and regret it immensely.

There are so many films on that list I have yet to see (but really want to see).

Littlebrick wrote:

From what I've heard, it sounds like the Academy will jump on anything that has to do with gay stuff, and that's the case with Milk. I'm not sure how true that statement is, but it sounds plausible to me.

I'm not quite sure I get your meaning ...

Smoking marijuana, eating Cheez Doodles, and masterfully debating do not constitute 'plans' in my book - Walter 'Heisenberg' White

LBJ:

I really have no right to care about the other films, since the only 2008 films I have seen have been WALL-E, The Dark Knight and Kung-Fu Panda.

To expand on my brief post, I am pleased to see the films nominated for Best Animated Feature are not crap.  Everyone already knows how I feel about WALL-E, but Kung-Fu Panda was surprisingly VERY good, and I've heard good things about Bolt.

And yes, I am a WALL-E fanatic, so I have no right to make fun of The Dark Knight fanatics, but I don't really care about The Dark Knight.  Yes, I enjoyed the film, I thought it was very well-made.  I do not think it is overrated, and and I think it is well-deserving of it's nominations, but I just don't feel passionate about it.

Also, I just discovered Waltz for Bashir.  The animation style is interesting, so I'll hope for a win.  Gotta support the animated films.

In the end, I really haven't trusted the Academy on anything for a long while.  It sometimes/usually has a habit of shafting deserving films (Brokeback Mountain, Zodiac, Cars, take your pick from just about any year)

Night Owl wrote:

I'm surprised that some of you animation fanatics haven't mentioned the fact that Waltz With Bashir is up for Best Foreign-Language Film, and looks like it has an excellent chance at winning. That would be a triumph for the gen- I mean, medium.

I've heard of it, but have not seen it yet.
Looks promising.

*adds this to my looooong list of need to see films*

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

wall e is like every other pixar film, original but overrated.

SlumDog millionaire should win everything.

Littlebrick wrote:

Not many, since I haven't half those movies, but I really thought WALL-E deserved a Best Film nomination. I'm glad it got a Best Screenplay Nomination; I think we all knew it was going to get a Best Animated Film nomination. I think it could get a Best Cinematography nom as well.

From what I've heard, it sounds like the Academy will jump on anything that has to do with gay stuff, and that's the case with Milk. I'm not sure how true that statement is, but it sounds plausible to me.

that's because both of those films are very good and well made. you also have a lot of potential plot wise and drama wise when dealing with those kinds of subjects. And you're also talking about really damn good directors. Ang lee made another gay themed movie before Brokeback that was also very good.

Timboh56 wrote:

you also have a lot of potential plot wise and drama wise when dealing with those kinds of subjects.

I guess that's true. I also guess I'm kind of annoyed that WALL-E didn't get a Best Film nom.

It deserved it, though. I think they made the Best Animation category just so they'd have an excuse to not nominate an animated film for Best Film.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

There's also a category for documentary films as well. I'm not sure what I mean by that; just putting it out there for now. mini/wink

donsalvatore wrote:
filmyguy wrote:

I'm surprised and glad about how many nominations The Dark Knight got. It definitely deserves it. But I'm also surprised that it didn't get nominated for Best Screenplay. The script for that movie was so ingenious, I can't believe that they left that out.

If it was up to me TDK won all the oscars.
Blast, it isn't.

-Donsalvatore

My god, I just realized that it didn't get the Best Picture nomination.

I'm going to blow something up now.

The Dark Knight in my opinion deserved more. That's all I'm gonna say.

Hello... It's been a while, hasn't it?

I think Heath Ledger should win the Oscar, but I wasn't too keen on any other aspect of The Dark Knight. It definitely wasn't one of the best films of the year IMO.

*bump*

I saw The Wrestler last night; Mickey Rourke definitely deserves the Oscar, though I want to hold out until I see Sean Penn in Milk. Rourke's performance is amazing, though. I have a sense that the winners for the past several years have been playing very unique personalities (Daniel Day-Lewis, Forest Whitaker, Philip Seymour Hoffmann), and Rourke feels absolutely natural. I'm also pretty surprised that Bruce Springsteen's song wasn't nominated.

Nathan Wells wrote:

In the end, I really haven't trusted the Academy on anything for a long while.  It sometimes/usually has a habit of shafting deserving films (Brokeback Mountain, Zodiac, Cars)

Oh man Zodiac, it was definatly the best film of 2007.

It didn't really got much attention, you brickfilmers should see it. another masterpiece directed by David Fincher.

-Darkman

https://i.imgur.com/C9qJKA8.jpg
youtube]                   Twitter]

And we have our winners:

Best Picture
Slumdog Millionaire

Best Director
Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire)

Best Actor
Sean Penn (Milk)

Best Actress
Kate Winslet (The Reader)

Supporting Actor
Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight)

Supporting Actress
Penelope Cruz (Vicki Christina Barcelona)

Best Original Screenplay
Milk

Best Adapted Screenplay
Slumdog Millionaire

Best Foreign Film
Departures

Best Animated Feature
Wall-E

Best Documentary
Man on Wire

Best Art Direction
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Best Cinematography
Slumdog Millionaire

Best Film Editing
Slumdog Millionaire

Best Costume Design
The Duchess

Best Makeup

Best Original Score
Slumdog Millionaire

Best Original Song
“Jai Ho” (Slumdog Millionaire)

Best Sound Mixing
Slumdog Millionaire

Best Sound Editing
The Dark Knight

Best Visual Effects

Best Documentary Short Subject
Smile Pinki

Best Animated Short Film
La Maison en Petits Cubes

Best Live Action Short Film
Spielzeugland (Toyland)

Total tally:
Slumdog Millionaire - 8
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - 3
The Dark Knight - 2
Milk - 2
The Duchess - 1
The Reader - 1
Vicky Christina Barcelona - 1
WALL-E - 1

All in all, it was a pretty predictable turnout, and a kind of a boring show. I would have much preferred that they played all of the Original Song nominees in their entirety like in the past, the combine-three-songs-into-one just didn't work (and John Legend just sorta crapped on "Down to Earth"). And I'm also not fond of the way they awarded the actors this year. It's great for the actors to be recognized by past winners, but boring for the viewer. Plus, they didn't even have clips this year, which was also detrimental to the viewer experience.

I'm happy to see Sean Penn take Lead Actor (it was really a coin toss between him and Mickey Rourke, so any one of them could have taken it) as well as Heath Ledger take Supporting Actor. The latter was a predictable win, but it's relieving to see the deal done and the Academy honor his great performance.

Last edited by MindGame (February 22, 2009 (11:28pm))

WALL-E got shafted.

I am not pleased.

*cocks AK-47*

I thought Mickey Rourke was going to win Best Actor. Most of the other results were pretty much as expected, though I didn't think Benjamin Button would get Best Effects and Makeup. I dunno, I never think old-man makeup is that convincing, but I've only seen some clips and trailers of Benjamin Button so I won't judge too much. And did Benjamin Button really have better effects than Ironman?

Anyway, hell yeah! for Heath Ledger and whatnot, though it wasn't exactly a surprise.

Jackman was freaking awesome; I just wish he'd been in there a little bit more. Which really goes to show how good he was; sometimes I feel like shouting at Academy Awards hosts 'Get on with it!' One thing that set him apart was that you could tell just how much damned fun he was having; it was infectious.

I loved everything to do with Milk. Every time they showed a man-snog clip, my dad let out these horrible anguished noises. mini/lol

Edit: I also liked Jack Black's joke about voice-acting in a Dreamworks flick and betting the money on Pixar at the Oscars. mini/lol

Last edited by Shale (February 22, 2009 (11:42pm))

Smoking marijuana, eating Cheez Doodles, and masterfully debating do not constitute 'plans' in my book - Walter 'Heisenberg' White

Nathan Wells wrote:

WALL-E got shafted.

I am not pleased.

*cocks AK-47*

you only say that because you havent seen slum dog millionaire

anyways i am quite pleased with the results with the exception of best actor. I really wanted Mickey Rourke to win, his performance was just absolutely natural and didn't seem forced at all.

I would have to agree with Mr. Wells.

EDIT: I also hate dead people stealing awards from people who clearly did better jobs in the roles they were in.

Last edited by Sprinkles (February 23, 2009 (01:00am))

I saw Milk on Saturday, so I was really happy to see it win in the writing and acting categories; both were well-deserved. I was really surprised at both Waltz With Bashir and The Class getting passed over for Best Foreign-Language Film.

Sprinkles wrote:

I would have to agree with Mr. Wells.

EDIT: I also hate dead people stealing awards from people who clearly did better jobs in the roles they were in.

Philip Seymour Hoffman was the only other contender as far as I was concerned.
I have no idea why Josh Brolin was nominated for his bit role in Milk (He was much better in W., IMO)
Michael Shannon was good in Revolutionary Road, but I felt that he character was a lazy exposition tool.
And while Robert Downey, Jr. was awesome in Tropic Thunder, is is really Oscar-worthy?