Topic: Working with FPS

Recently, I finally up'd the ante on the FPS level. I've reached 10 FPS. I saw a lot of videos on this forum already that seem to be much more fluid than my editing so I'm asking:

1. What FPS do you use?
2. How do you animate your walking cycles at that level? and for that matter, any other cycles too.

Last edited by Frenchhorn333 (August 18, 2011 (07:03pm))

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Frenchhorn333 Studios Flickr PhotoStream Facebook Page

Re: Working with FPS

15 is very common for brickfilms, and I use it.
Here is a pretty good walk cycle tutorial.

Oh sweet, thanks! Are there any other cycles you can think of? Or maybe how fast or slow you have a minifig shoot a gun?

Frenchhorn333 Studios Flickr PhotoStream Facebook Page

I use 12fps. It's very easy to animate with while still getting a smooth feel.

bricksinmotion member of the year

I now use 15 fps. I used to do 12 fps. 12 fps is okay, it's the lowest framerate that you can get decently smooth animation. One little problem with 12 fps is that fast movements, which take less frames, aren't that smooth. I found that 15 fps is smooth, yet still has the stop-motion feel.

For a walk cycle at 15 fps, NXTManiac's 5-frame walk cycle works well (Olsonstudios' link). For run cycles, I use Fancypants' 4-frame run cycles. Tutorial. That tutorial also includes easing in and out, a principle every animation needs to use if they want good animation.

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

if you want really smooth animation, then use 25fps.  I use it on all my animations, mainly because i'm a video editor and working at broadcast frame rates makes things much easier for editing.

I use 15, 18, 20 and 24 fps.

YouTube channel
N00bToob ebovv