Topic: Lego going green?

My local Lego store is one of ten that are "experimenting" with smaller sized boxes. To "go green" Here are some pics of the smaller boxes.

NOTE: these are comparisons to similar boxes.

http://oi51.tinypic.com/aua5ht.jpg
left normal box right green box

http://oi51.tinypic.com/5byclk.jpg

http://oi53.tinypic.com/so3hxl.jpg

If your boxes get smaller for some reason this is why. Just thought I would share this.

Last edited by Fun Sucker (March 10, 2011 (03:23pm))

Former BRAWL host, 2013-2017
             Youtube   Twitter

Re: Lego going green?

This thread confuses me.
I see what you're saying in the first picture - even though they're two different sets, they are both battle packs.
But the second picture is of two different types of sets. I don't buy Hero Factory, but haven't the villains always come in boxes?
Finally, the two boxes in the last picture look identical in size.
mini/confused

And how could they go green with a brand new set? Ninjago was JUST released, it would seem kind of redundant to redesign the box art this quickly after it's release.

I LURK MORE THAN I POST]

Jargon wrote:

This thread confuses me.
I see what you're saying in the first picture - even though they're two different sets, they are both battle packs.
But the second picture is of two different types of sets. I don't buy Hero Factory, but haven't the villains always come in boxes?
Finally, the two boxes in the last picture look identical in size.
mini/confused

For the second, I personally don't own two hero factory villains. So I used a hero for comparison that is why.
For the third, the reason they are the same size is because the one on the left is a $5.00 set. While the "green" box is a $7.00 set. The way they made it smaller just happened to be the same size as the $5.00 set.

Last edited by Fun Sucker (March 10, 2011 (03:19pm))

Youtube   Twitter

FuntasticFilms wrote:

For the third, the reason they are the same size is because the one on the left is a $5.00 set. While the "green" box is a $7.00 set. The way they made it smaller just happened to be the same size as the $5.00 set.

They made it smaller by keeping it the same exact size and charging more?

I LURK MORE THAN I POST]

Legobrickstud wrote:
FuntasticFilms wrote:

They made it smaller by keeping it the same exact size and charging more?

no no no THEY ARE DIFFERENT SETS. The "green" box is the Ninja Ambush set, and normal box is Ninja Training Outpost. They resized the Ninja Ambush (green box) to the size of the smaller set Ninja Training Outpost.

Youtube   Twitter

I imagine that the Bellevue LEGO store is one of those stores but I don't go there often as it feels kind of gross going over to Bellevue, but it's nice that they are using smaller boxes, less waste on shipping and materials is always good.

I have heard that LEGO has been making their boxes smaller, not only to "go green" but to save money.

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm

RedBrick1 wrote:

I have heard that LEGO has been making their boxes smaller, not only to "go green" but to save money.

That is one other reason. I personally think if they REALLY wanted to go green, they could use recycled paper and plastic.

Youtube   Twitter

If Lego ARE going green, I demand them to make more trees and bushes.

Back In Black!

If lego went "green",then the boxes would be made out of recycled wood,not made smaller.

Cardboard is a paper product which is, in fact, made from wood pulp. By using smaller boxes, they consume less resources - thus making for a more "green" product.

That being said, from what I've heard the change in size was more of a commercial decision with the environmental consideration considered to be an added benefit.

Being green almost seems secondary to cramming more product on the shelves. I think with the new sizes we'll be seeing a better mix of sets in stores.

I got this funny image in my head of a new job opening at the Lego factory. They're still used to the old sized boxes (which have tons of room) and so are the machines. So this guy named Larry sits at the machine and pushes all of the bags that are sticking out into the smaller boxes before they get sealed. I can see him vividly, poking with such determination, bringing the simple job to new heights like an art form...

Thanks Larry.
Jared