Topic: How can I make my minfigures wobble and fall over less?

The bottom of my minifigure's legs don't stick well enough to the studs and the minifigure tends to wobble around when I try to animate walk/run cycles. At the moment I have to use bluetak (sticky putty) to keep them in place, but it's very fiddly. It takes me about 5 minutes to animate a single frame, because I want to make the animation as smooth as possible. I tried using new legs but they aren't much better.

Does anyone know how I can make the legs stick to the studs better?

signature
                                         My Youtube channel

Re: How can I make my minfigures wobble and fall over less?

I have a reasonably good suggestion:
Don't use flat boards.

Mean like the super super flat type of boards like this:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31xeaqfk27L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

These type of boards don't have as tight studs as usual, so I recommend using on of those type boards, just covered with flat bricks of your desired color. That should heavily reduce wobbling.

If this is not your case, I'm not sure.

The base plate might be the problem. My dad had old base plates and I used those but I had the same problem. Get a base plate from a set and see if that  fixes it and if so, just order the $5 ones from Lego.com

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5232/5888638190_6ce46b1d91.jpg

AnnoyingNoisesProductions wrote:

I have a reasonably good suggestion:
Don't use flat boards.

Mean like the super super flat type of boards like this:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31xeaqfk27L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

These type of boards don't have as tight studs as usual, so I recommend using on of those type boards, just covered with flat bricks of your desired color. That should heavily reduce wobbling.

If this is not your case, I'm not sure.

Ah, I never knew that. I just tried placing a minfigure on a thicker baseplate and it's much better. Now I just have to buy a whole load more lego bricks so I can make a big enough floor. Thanks mini/smile

signature
                                         My Youtube channel

You're welcome. mini/smile

It's also pretty useful because having random plates covering your board gives you more reference points, like the cracks in between the plates and such, which makes it slightly more simple to take off the minifugure, move him, then put it back in the same position, instead of having a basically blank surface.

It could also be that your minifigs are pretty 'used', so maybe buying new legs assemblies off BrickLink or wherever else might be a good idea.

-pacific

There is no secret strategy, just be very careful when handling your minifigures.

bricksinmotion member of the year

This is just me (I have tons of plasticine), but when I have this problem on a particular set, I put plasticine in the holes in their feet. It gets annoying and messy, but it works for the films I'm making. (That's usually why you'll see blobs of plasticine in the studs of my baseplates during some of my films)

-JK

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon