Topic: What happened to Brickfilms?

Hello BIM, allow me to introduce myself. I used to be a pretty avid brickfilmer when I was 9 - 13, but I never actually published any films, I mostly made crappy little shorts for my own amusement. At the time I decided to register with the Brickfilms.com community, partly to seek tips and tricks, but also to get firsthand advice from my then favorite animator, Bluntman. Unfortunately, I was young, probably annoying, and my films stunk, so I was regularly getting bashed for being 'an idiot', and eventually I gave up Lego films all together because I got tired of the community.

So now I'm 18, and on a whim I pulled out my lego bin and started building, and building, and next thing I knew I found myself growing curious about maybe trying my hands at Lego filming again. It would be a good way to put my home recording studio to good use making soundtracks, and it'd be a good hobby for when I'm not working on my music related projects. Needless to say, I was disappointed to see that not only is the Brickfilms website a ghost town, but my once favorite animator Bluntman no longer makes brick films...sad day. Luckily I checked out some threads on their forum and found a post mentioning this site, so here I am. So I gotta ask what happened to Brickfilms.com? Did everyone just get fed up with the community, like me?

Re: What happened to Brickfilms?

Cynthia Price (thickasabrick) bought Brickfilms.com from Revmen. A lot of stuff ensued, and everyone eventually ended up here.
You can read about it here.

It's awesome that you came back! Hope to see films from you soon. mini/bigsmile

-JK

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Yes, welcome back.  We've got a contest going! I feel like this site is similar to what brickfilms.com was back in the day.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Thanks guys, thanks for such a warm welcome. I looked over that page that you recommended Kidden: it sounds to me like a lot of drama. However, it kind of warms my heart to see that people will stand up against corporatism and move on to something better. This 'Taab's posts sounded way too concerned with profits and patronage, and that's not what lego filming is about. I'm glad that the community agreed with that sentiment, and I'm sure that Taab felt like an idiot for investing money in a site and then ruining it to the point that it was deserted by its own community.

Haha, I always appreciate a bit of introduction into the goings on around here, but I'm definitely not prepared to enter a contest. I'll probably have to completely relearn the SMA process before I can actually start putting something together, and I imagine I'll have to invest in a more modern webcam...the piece of crap I used ten years ago probably isn't going to cut it against all these new HD cams....hell, ten years ago we could only dream about affordable webcams of such high quality.

So perhaps you guys could give me the rundown on the tools of the modern lego filmer?  Back in the day I used Anasazi to film, Audacity to soundtrack, and then assembled it all in movie maker. I'm really hoping there's some better free software available these days...I loved Anasazi, but it would be cool if there's something out there that lets you do all that stuff in one program. Plus, I'm excited about incorporating Pro Tools into the process; Pro Tools is often marketed as a soundtracking software, but I've never done soundtracks, only songs. So give me some tips, what are you guys using?

For a free stop-mo program, I'd go with MonkeyJam. Most of the people here use it. If you're willing to pay 300 dollars for a stop-mo program, I'd go with Dragon Stop Motion.
Audacity is a very good program for voices, you should keep using that. I'm not sure if there's any other free editing software besides WMM (which you shouldn't use mini/tongue ), but if you're willing to spend money on it you should go with Sony Vegas. For microphones, the Rock Band microphone is good, but you can also get the Blue Snowball. It has very good quality, but it's $80. If you have any more questions about this kind of stuff just ask anyone who looks like they would know what they're talking about.

Hope this helped. mini/smile

-JK

Last edited by Just Kidden (June 11, 2011 (09:19pm))

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Welcome back. mini/smile Another good animating program is Helium Frog, I prefer this over monkeyjam because you don't have to wait for it to load for ages whenever you want to play back your animation.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

Welcome (back)! Great to have another slightly older member in the community, it makes me feel less weird mini/wink

I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

Great to see you back, even though I don't remember you. mini/cat To start off with, here are some topics I recommend visiting - Cafe Corner, for everything that doesn't fit anywhere else, or that doesn't warrant a topic. A Beginners Guide To BiM, great for learning about the site. And The Animation Challenge, for testing your animation skills.

Enjoy your stay!

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

Woah, quite a story right there lol, good to see someone return after such a long time. The quitting/returning ratio has been rather off lately.
I would say the basic tools for the modern brickfilmer if your a windows are, in order.

Camera= Quickcam Pro 9000
Stopmotion= Monkeyjam
Editing= Sony Vegas

And if your a Mac, I would go...

Camera= Nothing specific works for Mac
Stopmotion= iStopMotion 2
Editing= iMovie or Final Cut

Thats some basic info to get you started, theres a software list on this site to, which Onion kindly linked above me.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6055/6222879608_7afe011386_m.jpg

I didn't get to ask this question because the Split topic got closed...  So, does anyone know why TaaB targeted the Brickfilming community?  And how did she become admin right away?

Maybe she was a Megablock CEO.

http://i.imgur.com/CSwoca1.png

I don't think it had to do with Lego, I think she would have treated another website the same way. I don't know why she chose that site, but I know how she took over. She bought the site from it's previous owner. If you own the site, you're the admin.

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

How much money are we talking about?

http://i.imgur.com/CSwoca1.png

I don't know. If someone mentioned it, I don't remember. Numbers are things I don't remember.
I would suppose it would be a fairly large amount, though.

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

Welcome back mini/smile

The Free Software List should help you out with what you need.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/nomfee/Lego/fjpb_poster_.png
Click above to watch mini/bigsmile
Youtube Twitter