Topic: Question about copyright

Hi,

my question is the following:
I play the piano. Now, if I buy or download piano sheets for popular songs and/or movie soundtracks (such as the Pirates Of The Carribean theme) and play them COMPLETELY MYSELF and record them (and use them for brickfilms), what rights have I got?

If I upload a video with said music to youtube, could it be taken down because of copyright? All that under the condition that I mention the music's original composers in the credits, of course, that would be no problem. Also, would I have the right to show the movie in public (including said music that I played myself but didn't compose myself)?

I would also be interested about what rights I had from a commercial point of view. I'm thinking none, is that correct?

Cheers

-pacific

Re: Question about copyright

I tried to make a lyrics video on my alternative channel and recorded the music and YouTube told me that it was infringing copyright and I just played it safe and deleted it.

So yeah, you would have no rights.

New YouTube Channel
May 2013 update:
Back after taking a VERY FREAKING long break. 14 months, I believe. Anyways I'm going to be making films again. Much better ones.

What exactly do you mean by "lyrics video" - something like a Lego music video? I think it's a different situation with music videos... because of course, in a music video the main focus lies on the music itself rather than the music "being in the background"?

Last edited by pacific (June 5, 2011 (10:34pm))

-pacific

The musical arrangement is still copyrighted. While you may have purchased the sheet music, you have not purchased the right to use said music in a public performance or recording.

So, would youtube take it down? I mean, there are a lot of brickfilms with copyrighted songs in them... they fall under 'fair use', don't they? Sorry I'm possibly a bit slow on the uptake on this one but I really want to know!

-pacific

I doubt that Utube would take it down because I bet their music recognizing software wouldn't be able to identify it. But you still would be using other people's music and that's copyright infringement. Unless you used Public Domain music like epic Beethoven.
The best bet is old classical music or composing your own. mini/smile
EDIT: A lot of times they don't even take down copyrighted music even if you took it directly from the CD... Like I use Star Wars music a lot and they just put advertisements.

Last edited by topit (June 6, 2011 (08:32am))

You know, thanks a lot for this information, but isn't there a way it's completely legal? So even if youtube sees it they will not put it down, I mean? For example, I remember a film of Nathan Wells in which he does use copyrighted material but states in the description that it'd fall under fair use. This is what I mean. What are the conditions of 'fair use'? How can I make my video take advantage of the 'fair use' law?

-pacific

Well if you want to be completely legal about the copyrights, then you'd have to call either Hans Zimmer, or Warner Brothers (i think) and ask them for the copyright... But that's quite a large event of documents, so not reccomended. Oootheerwiiseee remeber to give credits IE: The PIOTC Theme is made by Hans Zimmer and Warner Brothers, i in no way take the rigghts and they all go to the beforementioned persons. I think that'd work..,.

Ohhh! I slapped my leg but it's actually my balls!- Hal.

If the music itself is not created by you then you have no rights to use it therefore your video could be taken down immediately. You should get a permission to use copyrighted music from the copyright holders although most of them just ignore such requests from the "Mortals" such as we mini/smile Just use royalty free music and you'll be fine, I recently discovered this awesome page Jamendo.com it's full of various music (ROCK/POP/METAL/SOUNDTRACK and etc.) check it out buddy

thank you guys!

will check out jamendo

EDIT: or I'll try composing the music myself (hehe)

mini/smile

Last edited by pacific (June 14, 2011 (04:37am))

-pacific