Topic: Lighting - A good lightbulb?

I saw a lighting tutorial recently saying I should use a "Phillips softone lavender" because it has a slight filter that cuts down that cuts down the red levels from an ordinary slightly which improves the quality of webcam dramatically. I have a quickcam pro 9000 and want to get the very best out of it so I asked my mum to buy the bulb. Unfortunatly, the shop owners hadn't heard of them. So I was wondering:

Q: What bulb do you recommend me getting to improve my webcam quality?
                                                  OR
Q: Does putting paper over your lights have the same effect of cutting down the red levels?

Thanks for reading my post. I'd be grateful if you could answer...

Re: Lighting - A good lightbulb?

They exist, don't worry. I have a couple myself. They look exactly like normal bulbs, but they have a slight lavender tinge to them. I haven't used them for a while, however, since I can't seem to find any that fit my lamps, and my quality seems fine. So normal lghtbulbs work fine, if you get your camera settings right. As for paper, it does not have the same effect. Paper softens the shadows; it makes them less sharp. I don't like using paper, though; it is too much of a hassle, and the one time I used it, it caused tons of light flicker in my film.

Last edited by Littlebrick (February 10, 2009 (02:53pm))

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

Littlebrick wrote:

I don't like using paper, though; it is too much of a hassle, and the one time I used it, it caused tons of light flicker in my film.

that's wierd, I thought using paper was meant to do the opposite!

Well, it really does depend. Tissue is a good one to use.

You can do anything, just have fun while doing it.

Normal incandescent bulbs are a little too yellow.  I recommend energy saver bulbs, those give white light and are readily available.

http://www.lakewoodconferences.com/direct/dbimage/50322799/Spiral_Energy_Saving_Lamp.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

I've heard from several people that those lightbulbs cause light flicker.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...