Topic: Hey guys, new here and have a few questions.

Hello everyone. I am new around here. I've spent hours reading up on techniques for brick films. I get the jist of it and should have my equipment in about a week for my first tests. I just have a few questions if you don't mind taking the time to help me a bit.

1. What is the best way to film things falling? How many shots should I use. For example maybe someone dropping a t.v from a balcony.

2. What's the best way to show multiple things falling. Like say if I want my minifig to throw another through a brick wall, what's the best way to show those bricks spreading out and falling in a smooth manner?

3.What are some techniques to show minifigures moving at different speeds. Like say for instance a relay race. What's the best way to show one minifig running faster then the other without it looking choppy?

4. What's the best way to show a scene taking place at night?

-Edit-

5. Another question popped in mind. I am a little confused on the fps. I know it means frames per second and how fast the animation is going. But say I want to make a basic walk....how many shots should it be? Im having trouble wording the question a bit...if you can't answer this one ill try have to find out through trial and error.

6. Gah sorry for so many edits. This is the last question. What is the best way to show camera movement? Say the camea following a minifig as he moves. Show I jsut move the camera a little frame by frame? Or are their easier techniques.

THis is all I can think of now. Thank you ahead of time for helping me out. I know I haven't even attempted making films yes (Mainly because I dont have my supplies) and im sure a lot of this will come with practice.

Last edited by mbrat2 (January 15, 2011 (07:13pm))

Re: Hey guys, new here and have a few questions.

Welcome to BiM! It's refreshing to see someone with a well-structured first post.

1) How many shots you use will depend on the framerate you're using. I and a lot of other people recommend 15fps as a good balance. Now, it will depend on how fast you want said TV to fall. A good thing to to is to find some reference footage, if you can. In this case, find some footage of something falling off a balcony and from there you should be able to figure out how many frames to use in its falling animation. Some motion blur (which can be added in photo editing software like Photoshop or Gimp, or in post production software like After Effects) can help sell it.

2) Pretty much the same advice as in my last point. If you're asking about the technique used to make them appear to be flying through the air, the most common and generally most effective way is to use something else to hold them up, then "mask" this out (that is, erase it) in post production.

3) Walk and run cycles can be tricky. You could try adding in a frame or two to the slower runners' run cycles.

4) Shooting a scene at night isn't too difficult. Lots of people have success by using less lamps to light the set (just one for example) and putting some blue cellophane over it to tint everything in the shot blue. Another way would be to do this in post production. Personally I would opt for a combination of the two.

I hope these notes were helpful. If you have any other questions or if I didn't answer one sufficiently make a post and I'll try to answer it better mini/smile

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

Sean wrote:

Welcome to BiM! It's refreshing to see someone with a well-structured first post.

1) How many shots you use will depend on the framerate you're using. I and a lot of other people recommend 15fps as a good balance. Now, it will depend on how fast you want said TV to fall. A good thing to to is to find some reference footage, if you can. In this case, find some footage of something falling off a balcony and from there you should be able to figure out how many frames to use in its falling animation. Some motion blur (which can be added in photo editing software like Photoshop or Gimp, or in post production software like After Effects) can help sell it.

2) Pretty much the same advice as in my last point. If you're asking about the technique used to make them appear to be flying through the air, the most common and generally most effective way is to use something else to hold them up, then "mask" this out (that is, erase it) in post production.

3) Walk and run cycles can be tricky. You could try adding in a frame or two to the slower runners' run cycles.

4) Shooting a scene at night isn't too difficult. Lots of people have success by using less lamps to light the set (just one for example) and putting some blue cellophane over it to tint everything in the shot blue. Another way would be to do this in post production. Personally I would opt for a combination of the two.

I hope these notes were helpful. If you have any other questions or if I didn't answer one sufficiently make a post and I'll try to answer it better mini/smile

Thanks for the fast reply. I sort of understand what your saying. What im starting to get is that im just going to have to practice and do it myself to really get the answers to my questions.

Yeah, the old adage "practice makes perfect" really applies to brickfilming. There really aren't any solid "rules". Everyone should be encouraged to practice and develop their own style of animating. That said, one thing that I really find helpful is finding some brickfilms with great techniques and trying to dissect them, to see how they were accomplished. Walk cycles for example.

mbrat2 wrote:

Hello everyone. I am new around here. I've spent hours reading up on techniques for brick films. I get the jist of it and should have my equipment in about a week for my first tests. I just have a few questions if you don't mind taking the time to help me a bit.

1. What is the best way to film things falling? How many shots should I use. For example maybe someone dropping a t.v from a balcony.

2. What's the best way to show multiple things falling. Like say if I want my minifig to throw another through a brick wall, what's the best way to show those bricks spreading out and falling in a smooth manner?

3.What are some techniques to show minifigures moving at different speeds. Like say for instance a relay race. What's the best way to show one minifig running faster then the other without it looking choppy?

4. What's the best way to show a scene taking place at night?

-Edit-

5. Another question popped in mind. I am a little confused on the fps. I know it means frames per second and how fast the animation is going. But say I want to make a basic walk....how many shots should it be? Im having trouble wording the question a bit...if you can't answer this one ill try have to find out through trial and error.

6. Gah sorry for so many edits. This is the last question. What is the best way to show camera movement? Say the camea following a minifig as he moves. Show I jsut move the camera a little frame by frame? Or are their easier techniques.

THis is all I can think of now. Thank you ahead of time for helping me out. I know I haven't even attempted making films yes (Mainly because I dont have my supplies) and im sure a lot of this will come with practice.

wow mate its as if you read my mind these are the kinda questions i had in mind just never knew how to answer thanks for posting this thread up mini/smile

Moderator Notice: This user has been banned for mass vandalism of the Brikifilms wiki.]
"You don't know what you have till you lose it, but then when you realize it, it's probably to late.."
Working on a better community
Proverbs 26:21

Sean wrote:

Sean thankyou for posting back this incredible facts im as new as he is what i had to ask were like his questions only i just had a couple more.

You said its recommened to use 15fps right but thing is what do you mean by that do we need to take double shots or triple shots of the one pic or how? Please if you got a minute to explain please i really would like to know.

Another question i wanted to ask is how do you remove a blurred photo to get it clearer?

Another question i had was is it possible to add a photo on a lego brick wall and keep that photo there or do u have to manually put it in every frame?
I just ask cus ive taken over 2000 photos of legos moving and stuff for over 8 folders but i just struggle when i do the editing i use a software called power director which is good for pictures but suchs for lego animating is there good free software and is sony vegas the best software program for lego? Thanks.

Generalned
[Addrian N]

Moderator Notice: This user has been banned for mass vandalism of the Brikifilms wiki.]
"You don't know what you have till you lose it, but then when you realize it, it's probably to late.."

Friendly tip, you don't have to quote someone's long forum post if they're only a few posts up mini/wink

You might find it helpful to check out the free software list. Try using some free capture software such as monkeyjam for taking your frames. This will also help answer your question regarding framerate - in the capture software and most editing software you can set the frames per second. That is, how many individual images are shown in each second of footage.

You could stick a photo to the wall with blu tac, or you could add it in in post production. The former would be an easier approach.

As for cleaning up blurry images - there's not a whole lot you can do. It's best to get a sharp image from the get-go.

Good luck!

For question 3, I would recommend what's called "Shooting on doubles".

It basiacally means that if you usually film at 15FPS, change it to 30FPS (15 X 2 = 30) and take two frames each time instead of one.

That way, when you want to make something faster than normal, like a car or another figure, you just move the fast object once every frame and the slower figure once every two frames.

Sorry if you think I'm treating you like an idiot by underlining, I didn't mean to I just wated to make it a bit clearer.

And welcome to BiM! mini/smile

thanks for the feedback Sean very much appreciated and also thankyou Brickyman i found your tips handy to.

PS sorry for the quotes Sean.

Generalned
[Addrian N]

wat r ur questions?im new to.

Hi there, legoperson78. Welcome to BiM.
The questions you mentioned are in the very first post of the thread. They're kind of hard to miss, in fact. I can only assume that you didn't read anything of the thread, before you posted, as they were discussed fairly thoroughly. You would have also noticed that this thread is nearly two months old.
Please take some tmie to read [guide]. It'll help you avoid making mistakes like these in the future. mini/smile