Topic: Modular Buildings: To take apart or not?

I have the modular buildings Cafe Corner, Market Street, and Green Grocer. They take up alot of space on my animation table. I'm not going to use them in any animations because I'm going to build my own modular facades. Even though I kind of like them, I've been considering taking them apart. What do you guys think I should do?

Last edited by minifig051 (February 24, 2011 (10:18am))

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

Re: Modular Buildings: To take apart or not?

Keep the instructions just in case. mini/wink
~Mason

Don't worry, I always keep the instructions. But if I take it apart, I wouldn't need to rebuild it because I'd have the facades by then.

Well, if you are using them for background, I'd say use them once, them throw them into your bin, they're useless for sets, they were designed to be played with, so it would be hard or even impossible to animate in the rooms.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/315234895058173963/400133875549995018/Sig1.png

I think I'll take them apart once I get the organizers I need. Even though they look nice, making my own building says alot more than just using something that's a Lego set. Their tiled sidewalks wouldn't go with the sidewalks in front of the facades, which will be studded. Animating on tiles are a pain, anyway. Thanks for your input.

I use mine for my city so i cant really take it apart mini/tongue

I think they are very nice sets, so if you aren't going to use the pieces then you should display them or something... But if you do need the pieces but want to keep the facades to use as background you should alter them so that all the pieces in the back are not present, but only the front. Kind of like a movie set. And if you think that the facades are so ugly that you want to throw them into a volcano, first thing, don't, and second, BREAK THEM!!! mini/tongue

Have you seen how much those sets are worth? I wanted to get the Cafe Corner, its selling for over £200 on ebay!!! The Market street also sells for a lot too, so perhaps once your done with them you should consider selling them. I definitely wouldn't bin them.

Filmfire96 wrote:

Have you seen how much those sets are worth? I wanted to get the Cafe Corner, its selling for over £200 on ebay!!! The Market street also sells for a lot too, so perhaps once your done with them you should consider selling them. I definitely wouldn't bin them.

Well isn't that one of the greatest things about LEGOs? You can take the sets apart and build whatever you can imagine. My mom knew a woman who got her son the new Imperial Flagship ($180), and one day he started to take it apart; the woman then decided to glue together the ship, because she helped with making the ship and wanted to make sure he didn't take it apart. Personally, I cringe at this idea. Taking apart LEGO sets is what you're supposed to do! That's why people love LEGOs; if you want something that stays as one thing because it looks nice or costs a lot of money, buy a model kit. LEGOs are made to be broken, plain and simple.

kcirb-- its brick backwards.
Youtube

Yeah, I break up loads of little sets. But I always try to keep the big sets together to look after them. Fair enough, lego is made to be broken, etc, but my Modular sets I own I'd never take apart because they look brilliant. Things that I build aren't always so good, so I keep most together. Gluing them together is a bit of a silly idea, because that takes away the lego feel. plus I've got enough bricks to build stuff as it is, I don't need to break any of my sets.

I just try to keep my sets together, to keep them nice for when I want to make a film. I've never really sold much of my lego, but if I didn't want it, and it's worth a bit of money, I probably would sell it. There just aren't any lego sets I've got which I don't like. mini/smile

Even though they do look good, I'm still going to take them apart. There are alot of useful pieces in them, like doors, windows, roof pieces, brown bricks, tan bricks, light green bricks, and light blue bricks. Plus, building the facades will be more original than using something Lego designed. With the facades, they might not be as detailed as the modular buildings, but detailed enough. most of them will be 2-sided front to back, and some will be 2-sided corner to corner.

I bought the Market Street a few years ago, but I took it apart right after because the pieces were so gosh darn good. I'd take them apart if I were you.

-JK

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

No point in getting a set and not taking it apart I say, this set was made largely out of the Eiffel Tower, it's far more useful to me then built up. I always cringe a little when I see actual LEGO sets appear in movies, they never fit in with the rest of the films look

I don't know what to do either! I want to start making stop motion vids but I don't feel I should use my modular buildings!
I have the grand emporium and the pet shop mini/sad  I don't know if I should make my own stuff for the small city I'm building or keep them up on the shelf never being used......

formerly ChrisIsAwesome

You should sell me the Green Grocer.  I went to buy it just as it went out of production.  Really wanted that set.

Remember the advice from the Lego Movie

Spoiler (click to read)

You can take things to give life to something else but always build the original again if you're in the mood.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

My city police station has a lot of windows and white walls.  I'm prepared to re-use those for my next production if necessary.  I'll try to 'quarantine'* the pieces so they don't get all mixed up.  That way I can rebuild my police station afterwards without spending days hunting for the 700+ pieces it contains.

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

Man, if I had even one modular building, I'd never take it apart. For me, the whole point of buying one would be to make a convincing looking street (which I've avoided attempting in any brickfilms so far).

But it's up to you. They contain a lot of great pieces (or so I've seen on Brickset) so for the amount of money they are, it would probably be more cost effective to take it apart.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

One modular building doesn't make a street.  mini/smile

But yeah - if I had three or four of them I'd be making a sidewalk flick in no time.  mini/smile

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

Really all you need is the front of a building. The inside of the modular buildings aren't made for filming, so instead of getting a modular building, just get the bricks to build a convincing store front. Its like they do on TV, the buildings are just fronts and sometimes sides. They may even have a window with a box in it to make it look like there is something inside, but the inside of the buildings are different sets.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b