Topic: Coraline

Well, did you see it? Your opinon?
I saw it saturday and it was awesome, the animation was superb and it was pretty funny.

New films-
The New Neighbor
Solanum
Casting Call for Solanum started!

Re: Coraline

I loved it!

I saw it on Saturday as well.

My unorganized review:
*slight spoilers*

- - - - - - - - -
Truly amazing. I loved every second of it. The animation and 3-D aspects were awesome. The transition of a dream world to a nightmare worked out excellent.
I have to say some acting performances by the ghost children were a little weak.
The pillow parents scene almost made me shed a tear, pretty good.

- Creepy scenes? -

Quite a few. Almost half of the film, actually. mini/wink The other father getting his head crushed in by his player piano; as well as him stretching his face while saying "-lonnng facce". The blobby/fat deep voiced other father... Mr. Bobinsky talking without his head, all flappy; then rats coming out. Taffy monster(pretty brilliant and goes along with the old taffy candy bit, hehe)... The intro with the other mother crafting the Coraline doll... There's a lot. mini/tongue

When the big-breasted Miss Spink/Forcible(I can't really remember who is whom)was introduced, an adult couple started laughing like crazy. I did too; the camera angles showing the side... Hahahaha!

A must-see for all stop-motion animation fans.
Overall, 9/10. Some dialogue was weak and the ending could have been better.
- - - - - - - - -

I love it, too bad it's probably not going to take #1 at the box office because of "He's Just Not That Into You"
(Romantic-Comedy + Valentines' Day = hit). I hope it does well later, so we can see more stop-motion films in the theatre.
I'm probably going to see it again this Saturday, I loved it that much. Plus, I want to fully enjoy the 3-D experience; as it will most likely not be in 3-D when the DVD/Blu-Ray version is released. If it was, that'd be nice. It'd probably have red/blue glasses included, though.

EDIT: I hope this isn't forgotten by the Oscars or Academy Awards, this film was released rather early...

Last edited by Timothy R (February 9, 2009 (05:01pm))

Loved it! mini/bigsmile

Yeah I saw it on Friday, pretty amazing. mini/smile

Life is like a box of LEGO, you never know what you're gonna build. - mrgraff

I should go see this film. I wasn't planning to, but from what I've read I probably should.

- Leo

So, in the 3D version of the film, do you get red/blue glasses, or a different kind? I know of one kind that doesn't mess up the color, and I was wondering if those were used here.

Last edited by Littlebrick (February 9, 2009 (05:59pm))

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

It's in RealD 3-D, the dark transparent ones.
http://www.hometheaterblog.com/hometheater/images/2007/11/28/reald.jpg

Awesome. I'll see if I can see it in 3D then, if I get to see it at all.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

I saw it without the 3D thing but it was still very enjoyable

New films-
The New Neighbor
Solanum
Casting Call for Solanum started!

I must go see it Friday

Loved it. I made a Coraline minifig, but I don't know how to get the picture of it to these Forums. mini/sad

I just finished watching it. You can see my review in the What was the last movie you watched? Thread.

NJSJ wrote:

Loved it. I made a Coraline minifig, but I don't know how to get the picture of it to these Forums. mini/sad

You Make an account on Brick Shelf. It's a website specifically for uploading pictures of things to do with LEGO. Upload some pictures. Right Click the picture and click "Copy Image location" it may be called something slightly different depending on you Internet Browser. Then in the "post reply" you click the picture of the landscape, it's in the same row as Bold Italics etc. Paste your image location in between the "img" Tags. mini/smile

_2014

argh

I wanted to see it, but didn't expected it to get out as early !!

Oh no! in France, we can't see it before june 10th.  mini/eek oh nooooo ! I want to live in USA !

http://imgs.imagup.com/member5/1242510318_banniere_clicclac.png

*Ultra Bump*

This film is just now in cinemas here in OZ.

I'll have to echo the others - loved it!

There were several plot elements that I felt were kinda telegraphed, but I'm looking at it from a film-makers perspective and the tartget audience is a wee bit younger than I am, so that's okay. The animation was just exquisite as the movements were all fluid and flowed quite well. I'm happy that they used some CGI but didn't rely on it too much or use it as a cruch.

The glasses (I went and saw it in 3D) were a little uncomfortable to get used to, but I acclimatised during the previews (as an aside, the preview for Up was really awesome - can't wait to see that one (also still not out in Australia)).

There were several moments that I thought may have "gone too far" for a kids film but at the screening I went to there were no kids present and the kids of today are made of sterner stuff (what with what they see on the news alone) so todays youth might not have been as put out if I'd seen this when I was younger., It reminded me a lo of how films like The Labyrinth made me feel when I was a lad (though that movie is exceptionally tame by todays standards).

So yes, loved it, but not enough to go see it again at the cinema ($25 a pop for me). I'll probably be adding the dvd to my collection when it comes out.

Smile and say hello to people. It costs you nothing and can brighten their day.

I can't wait to see this. From what I've heard it's actually quite scary.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

In some parts, it is. Especially for a kids movie.

I would see it just for the stop-motion, but my mom does NOT approve of Tim Burton's (Is that the guy who made Caroline and the Corpse bride? I think I may have gotten the name confused with somebody else.) films. I wish I could just go see it for the stop-motion.
Oh, well. mini/sad

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Tim Burton didn't make either.

_2014