Topic: Physical Comedy in Brickfilms

Do you think this could go over well?   I'm really starting to get into physical comedy. Looking back at greats like the Marx Bros, The Three Stooges... and more recently at Michael Richards and Jim Carey (although there are far too many to count) I'm wanting more and more to use this type of stuff in a film. Do you think it can translate well in a brickfilm?

"I am Kansas" -Smeagol
http://heythats.cool

Re: Physical Comedy in Brickfilms

YES.
Along with a good story.

WELL.
The faces wouldn't be as funny even if they were computer animated...
Don't know how it would be thought, might be good...

You should just try to make one and look for yourself mini/wink
(And let us other ones watch too mini/tongue)

-Antifaan

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Antifaan/KISS/kiss_banner_2.jpg

Antifaan wrote:

That's why you work even harder on movements and stuff.

LegoShark, I've been working more on a livelier type of animation that I think would suit physical comedy very well. I think you should try exaggerated movements; take The Adventures of Eddy and Jane, Episode Eight. During the chase scene on the pirate ship, Jane and Igor both throw open the doors leading to the captain's cabin; notice how they seem to lean back really far as they finish throwing open the doors, and hang there for a couple frames.
Even if a character isn't animated, you can still exaggerate them. For example, if you have a guard, holding a spear, shield and everything, you could have them lean back somewhat instead of having them straight.

This is something I would like to see more in Brickfilms. We've kind of fallen into a robotic-ish movement for our characters, which doesn't look so out of place in serious films, but hinders comedies. It's refreshing when a film like The New Neighbor or Ben Cowell's 1234 comes along, partially because they don't follow the robotic movements.

Also try filming yourself doing an action, then use that as a reference while animating; this is what most professional animators do. I have yet to try it myself, but I can see where it would be helpful. I think if you know exactly how the movements are going to be done, it can be easier to exaggerate them.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

Littlebrick wrote:
Antifaan wrote:

That's why you work even harder on movements and stuff.

Just because Carrey has cornered the market in grimacing, doesn't mean that's all there is to physical comedy. I'm going to invoke Buster Keaton here - his whole schtick was that he remained deadpan no matter what was happening around him.

I think the key to physical comedy is going to be timing. You need to work out where everything is going to go, but also exactly how long it's going to take to get there, how long you hold a reaction shot, etc. It's going to be quite a challenge. I might give something a try after I finish my current film, just to see how hard it is.

LegoShark wrote:

Do you think this could go over well?

Certainly. We need more of this kind of stuff.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

Sorry to "steal" your topic, LegoShark, but I think this is kind of relevant. I did a test today, exaggerating some common movements (only one that I've uploaded, though), and I think it turned out pretty good. If anyone wants to check it out, you can find it here.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra

That was incredibly well-animated, Littlebrick. I take it was the old sticky-tac behind the minfig trick?

The picture became noticeably brighter when he jumped up, though, and a piece of advice, I'd recommend putting a tile underneath him as he jumps because the studded plate looks a bit funky.

MindGame wrote:

That was incredibly well-animated, Littlebrick. I take it was the old sticky-tac behind the minfig trick?

The picture became noticeably brighter when he jumped up, though, and a piece of advice, I'd recommend putting a tile underneath him as he jumps because the studded plate looks a bit funky.

Thank you. As I mentioned here, I will not be focusing on any technical qualities besides animation in these tests. And yes, it was the old sticky-tac behind the minifig trick.

mini/eek Amazing, Littlebrick.