Topic: Guide: Building sets and props and perspectives for you sets.

Hey guys, it's me Ninja here and I made a guide for you to see. I thought this would make up for the guides I stole off of. And yes, I really made this guide mini/rolleyes . This guide is about how to build and create a lego set. Of course you can always variate, but this is what the main idea should look like.

Building it

Now, lets look at how we should build the set. The set should be easy going (easy to look at). Remember that you don't always need to make a full set. You need to make an illusion of a full set. 1. This is easier 2. It gives you access to Bfilm in the interior. If you are confused a picture might help you. As you can see, their is no back of the building. Only the outside. So that the camera can see the outside performing an illusion that there is a full building. It is also VERY important to use Camera Perspective (Next topic) so you can fool your viewers. The great feature of this easy going building routine was invented in somewhere of the late 1990's. He decided that it would be easier to Brickfilm by only making what the audience sees. Well actually, he didn't invent the whole thing. There is a set such called Town Plan, came out in the 1970's-1980's. The whole purpose was so the kids could play in the interior of the house. But the Brickfilmer's idea was to use the technique and make an illusion of that.   Little details can be very important, such as a mailbox,people,chimneys, etc. It was important because it gives the viewers something else in their mind, this is called a Full Scene. If you see in movies, just walking down the street was important. In Mary Poppins for example, the other Babysitters being flown away gives the feeling that Mary Poppins was no ordinary person. Details are VERY important. Many people also ask "Do we need to add stairs?" The answer is if you need to. If your filming a two story house with no stairs the scene becomes odd. If your filming a tent with stairs, the scene becomes odd as well. Building your props is an important stage (Props and People).

Camera Perspective

Building a set may be easy. But can you keep up with the camera? This topic is a little off, but goes in the topic as well. If the viewers see that the some of the sets features are missing, you could have a problem. You can always move the camera around to spots where the viewer can not see the missing set features. But the viewer may be perplexed by the whole thing. EX: Filming a house, Camera moves to the front of the house. Then the director can't find any more good spots to film until he finds some totally random free spot, (such as the garage.) You don't want to teleport to different areas for no reason. There is a trick to this, shoot the front of the house. If you are NOT shooting the front, it's called Zoom. The creation of Brickfilming that will help the world. If you zoom, you can still get that lovely shot of yours and still fool the audience. It's simple but wait.. there's more.

Trouble

The trouble with making sets, and finding a good view for it is mainly "the look". It isn't fair yet it's true. Most viewers will justify the movie on it's sets and props. I don't know why, but sometimes it even dazzles me. Be aware of this. If you can't seem to make your set look just right, add more entertainment. If you are not good at making sets but good at making props, shoot in the interior most of the time. This gives the clip a little flare. Not so much, people decide to film the whole neighborhood. But this is an added bonus. I'd like to see the whole neighborhood instead of seeing one house. It's just natural. We just want to see more. I think it's troublesome if the set is dull. Add some details to it, such as frills, tile patterns, windows, etc. Give the set something else of moi. If you fix these troubles, your set should end up fine. WARNING: Don't say if your set isn't good that "Oh, the guide said that if I can't build good i'm a failure." This isn't true. Some guides carry false info, in fact some of my info may be false. Don't judge a book on it's cover.

Props and People

"But dad, nobody is at my school!"

The last topic is about People and Props. The main idea for this is that it gives the background something else. Adding people in your sets is just meant for a realistic background, props (some with no use, some with use) are meant to be, because they're just there. Like a phone booth at Younge Street. Nobody cares about it, yet you brain acknowledges it. Wierd, right? No. Your brain actually captures everything in the picture. You might not notice, but your brain is like a camera it takes a picture of the scene and knows what's in the scene. So don't assume that "Eh, nobody will notice about this" because soon enough, you won't have a background. People are a good use as well because they just give the whole scene, a realistic cover. Like said in the other topic, people will also judge you on how well the set is. People can be used for talking, just making a scene or maybe they could be used for dancing. The whole idea of people leaves me flabbergasted. Props and People, they are very important.

FAQ's

Should I follow this guide exactly? - No, this is just the main idea.

Who am I to know if my set is good? - Well, don't ask your parents for their advice because most of the times they'll false it out. Ask an acquaintance because they don't really know you and think it is alright for an honest opinion.

How long does it take to build a set? - It takes about 3 days to make 4 average looking sets. It really matters, If your a fast builder or if your slow, if you rush. It is unknown for the time.

Is building sets the ONLY thing to focus on? - No, all the other things are important, audio,cinematography,filming,etc. They're guides for those as well, in their topic section. This guide focuses on building the things, and what the buildings are used for.

Thanks for reading the guide on: "Guide of building sets and props."

Last edited by ninja chewit (September 20, 2009 (01:50pm))

40% of people causing car accidents are caused by drunk driving. Drive drunk, it's safer.

Re: Guide: Building sets and props and perspectives for you sets.

I think you've got most of the basics down for set building, and basics are only as far as anyone can go, becuase going in depth any further would mean thousands of techniques on prop and set design. Only improvement I can suggest is maybe clean up the grammar, but I'm not sure if your predominant language is english, although if it isn't, I can understand that.

Lol, my sister was rushing me to get off because she needed to do her photography, my native tongue is english. mini/lol

40% of people causing car accidents are caused by drunk driving. Drive drunk, it's safer.

*Bump*
Sorry I just had to correct you. The Town Plan came out in the late 50s.

Used to be 'Caidence'

That could've been sent in a PM if it was so important for you, and it wasn't that necessary. The last post was in September 2009.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/bluebrickstudios/Sigs/rs_sig.png

I know that I just wanted to tell him.

Used to be 'Caidence'

can you add pictures for reference?

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/minifig77/banners/logo.png
click me for my YouTube!

I can mini/bigsmile

This: http://www.bricklink.com/SL/810-2.jpg?0

And this: http://www.bricklink.com/SL/725-3.jpg?0

Don't be fooled, my avatar is a facade of conformity.

Bumping threads is acceptable when you have something worthwhile to add to the conversation. Correcting a minor point, such as the date in question, is not a good reason to bump a six-month old thread.
- Aaron

Does anyone plan to correct the grammar, clean it up add pictures then submit it to the Resources?

Sorry if this was a stupid idea.

welp
Formerly LegoDudez

It's a very appropriate idea, actually. mini/wink

Someone should do that.

O.K.

http://dft.ba/-ninjachewitguiderevised

welp
Formerly LegoDudez