Topic: 30 fps look @ 15fps

does anyone use frame blending to make their 15fps film look like it was filmed @ 30fps? i did a test and it looked ok

Re: 30 fps look @ 15fps

I've tried it, but it was on a panning shot and everything got distorted, which is why I haven't used it in my current project. It would also be a problem if you were animating a fight scene or something similiar, because I like to be able to preview what I've done every ten/twenty minutes.

Could you post the test you did?

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=EOKgyK19D7A

i reckon it looks far better than 15 fps, a quick way to make a fair improvement

You have to keep your shots consistent. Like when you are moving an arm, start out slowly and build up speed and then have it come to rest slowly. This will look very smooth. And when you are moving the hands, try to use the same technique, it works for me every time.

budgetstudios wrote:

does anyone use frame blending to make their 15fps film look like it was filmed @ 30fps? i did a test and it looked ok

I think this is called "motion blur" in Premiere.  I'm assuming your output video is 30FPS.  motion blur going from 15 to 30 might look okay.  People sometimes use motion blur to convert 7 FPS to 15FPS and the motion blur is very obvious, doesn't fix poor animation at too low a frame rate.  Your test looks okay, except like someone else mentioned, try to "ease in" and "ease out" of your motions.  Without that, motions look like they begin and end too violently, doesn't look natural. 

But I think the goal is for smooth animation at 15FPS without the need of motion blur.  Maybe only use motion blur for fast movement shots.  Either that or really shoot your fast movements at 30FPS.

AncientBricks wrote:

I think this is called "motion blur" in Premiere.  I'm assuming your output video is 30FPS.  motion blur going from 15 to 30 might look okay.  People sometimes use motion blur to convert 7 FPS to 15FPS and the motion blur is very obvious, doesn't fix poor animation at too low a frame rate.  Your test looks okay, except like someone else mentioned, try to "ease in" and "ease out" of your motions.  Without that, motions look like they begin and end too violently, doesn't look natural.

I think he was talking about Pixel Motion in After Effects.
Frame Blending and Pixel Motion in AE

When you slow down a clip 50%, frames are duplicated/stretched out to fill the blank frame every second frame. Ordinary Frame Blending creates an intermediate frame using the frame before, and the frame after putting them together, which looks like onion skinning, it's like getting the two frames togethor and putting them at at 50% opacity. Pixel motion analyzes the before and after frames and creates an entirely new frame, but you can get some pretty nasty distortion.
Examples of Pixel Motion and Frame Blending

I'll upload a comparison video to youtube later.

Edit: Video comparison between unedited footage, %50 speed, frame blending and pixel motion

That was pretty much for anyone unfamiliar with Frame Blending in AE or any other programs.

Last edited by Riley (January 29, 2009 (11:24pm))

its a shame it was distorted so much with pixel motion

Last edited by budgetstudios (January 30, 2009 (01:30am))

Would you typically slow down to 50%, apply frame blending, and then speed that footage back up to the original speed to gain the benefit of the motion blurring at regular speed?

The pixel motion looks really interesting.  Too distorted to be used in regular contexts, but could be useful to produce other-worldly effects, hallucinations, or dream sequences.

what i do, is import the 1 second jpg sequence @ 15fps. then i change the frame rate to 30 fps, but the sequence is still 1 second, so technically, still at 15fps. then i change it to frame blending