Topic: Question? How to record piano?

Does anyone know how to record a piano.... Without it sounding terrible?

Re: Question? How to record piano?

Depends on the kind of piano.

If it's electric, it probably has the ability to record itself.
If its a regular/grand/etc, your best bet would be to get your computer/mic as close (not on) as possible, and simply record.
If you have access to a tape recorded/voice recorder, that would work too.

You can also probalby find an online computer that lets you put in the song you want it to play, and you can record it with Audacity.

I LURK MORE THAN I POST]

I tend to disagree with the "as close as possible" part of the above. Yes, you don't want to put it across the room, but if the microphone is too close, the notes/strings closest to the mic will be considerably louder upon playback.

With all due respect Noodle, I don't want you here. - Ratboy Productions

Thanks guys. The piano is not electric, thus I would have to use my computer mic. The particular piece I was going to record was one that I "composed/made up" and was going to either use in one of my own films. Or maybe if anyone wanted to use it I would give them a clip to see if they liked it.

Noodle wrote:

I tend to disagree with the "as close as possible" part of the above. Yes, you don't want to put it across the room, but if the microphone is too close, the notes/strings closest to the mic will be considerably louder upon playback.

Ya, after typing that I meant to go back and change it, but I guess i hit "Post" and just forgot about it.
I pretty much meant what you just said though.

I LURK MORE THAN I POST]

If you aren't able to get a good recording you can always resort to MIDI programming your song into a free DAW like Reaper and then using a piano soundfont to play it back (I suggest the Concert Piano from the S J orchestral GM soundfont). I don't own a piano, or most of the instruments I compose with, so this is what I do all the time. This may sound a little time consuming, but Reaper is FAR more powerful than Audacity for music production and this method will give you the ability to compose with other instruments as well.

Thanks!