Topic: Spill from Green Screen.

Howdy there! It's MOL speaking, and I have a question for you people out there. Lately, I've been trying effects out and stuff like that. Now, I put up a green screen and I put a set as far away from it as possible to reduce spill, but, when i turn on the lights, and take a picture, my subject or set has a green tint to it, making the green screen a bust. So, I was wondering, does anyone know how to stop the spill? I've already tried to put the set as far away as it can go, I've tried having less light on the green screen so it's less reflective, and I've tried using a smaller portion of green screen. But, again, nothing seems to stop the set and subject from going invisible in Sony Vegas. Help?

Persist.

Re: Spill from Green Screen.

Put the lights behind your set so that the GS isn't illuminated.

mcoov_studios wrote:

Put the lights behind your set so that the GS isn't illuminated.

I've tried that. It still doesnt work.

Persist.

Maybe try a green sheet or towel if you use a peice of bristol board.

I point separate (offscreen) lamps at the greenscreen.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fib12345/Lolz/lulz.png
"actuallly this involves spiderman too, not batman. but im also taking a new approach, more comedy, less action. i dont see to many movies like that with more comedy than action" --SteveStarfyTV on an Indiana Jones meets Star Wars idea.

I always get spill when I greenscreen. I'm working on a film now where I'm masking out some shots by hand so that I don't have to greenscreen.

- Leo

What type of material are you using for your greenscreen? Are you using the special felt like cloth or are you improvising? You want a material that is not reflective and is very saturated in either green or blue.

Are you able to get the screen several feet or even yards behind or are you just talking a few inches? What you really want is thousands of meters away. Not possible, but the farther the better.

You want to arrange the lights so that they illuminate the actors and not the screen. The screen should be indirectly lit (soft boxes, translucent fabric) to have then even with no hot spots and little reflection.

You will never get rid of all the spill and that is why chromakey plugins have special spill reduction filters to help fix the problem.

Skye Sweeney
www.fll-freak.com

I agree with FLL - it could be that you are using a glossy/or shiny material as your green screen, you need it to be as matt as possible.
Have separate lights behind and to the side (off camera) of your set illuminating the green screen evenly and then lights in front of your set ensuring that is lit well. This should kill the majority of the spill and the slight issues you have then can be controlled with the chroma key settings within Vegas.

Try propping some sheets of white card either side of your set to bounce white light around. That should limit the amount of green light getting in.

after a year mucking around with green screens, what i found to work well was use maximum resolution images with the foundry keylight. the images were 3k by 2k and when sized down to 800x600 the keying looked perfect. keylight is definetly the best for managing spill.