Re: The age of the earth

(I haven't seen the some of the above posts.)

Hey guys, I'm sorry for bringing this up.  Like dukeboy said I should've kept my mouth shut.  I wasn't actually trying to debate the age of the earth.  That kinda evolved from a flaw in my original argument.  I'd rather be wrong and sorry than stubborn and right only to myself.

So if you guys say the earth is billions of years old, that's great.  One again I apologize, this is a habit I've really been trying to break.  I'm sorry for starting this age debate and I hope this blows over.

I was taught that the earth is, like, 10,000 years old, read lots of books on the subject and such and believed it at one time, but I have to say I don't find the case for it very compelling anymore.  There are plenty of reasons to believe the universe to be older, carbon dating is one but also things like the grand canyon and other rock erosion, this sort of thing happens too slowly to occur in a few hundred years due to flooding as some suggest.  Astronomy also makes a good case for the universe being much older; light from far away galaxies and other celestial bodies takes millions of years to travel here and we can see them.  I'm a Christian but I guess I don't see a reason to think God would set the universe up to appear much older than it is.  It's not really a major theological issue to me at this point.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Same here, I was taught that it was around that old.

Smeagol has good points on the matter.

Bloogyo, have you ever researched science? Or did you just take a quick look at it, and decided it was false?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8180/7904765754_a766f0e523.jpg
Into the darkness once more. I walk into the unknown. To a far better life than I've ever known.

The approximated age of the Earth is around 4.54 billion years old. I'm taking a class on the solar system at the moment, and we've gone over the origins of it and its planetary bodies fairly extensively.

Of course, that's not to say that the Earth has been in its solid, terrestrial state for four and a half billion years, but the accretion of the various elements that make up the Earth has been in process for that long.

Last edited by MindGame (May 17, 2010 (05:01pm))

MindGame wrote:

I'm taking a class on the solar system at the moment,

Our class has been learning about space in general, for the last few weeks! mini/tongue  We've mainly focused on our solar system though.

Anyways, are you counting before the other huge impact with Theia still our planet being formed? Earth only existed for about 10 million years before that happened, so it wouldn't make much difference at all, but still, I'm rather OCD about getting everything just right.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/BGanimations/Signatures/final_400x100.png

Scientists are wrong because I want to drive a big car and not pay taxes.