Topic: Serious Partner Wanted for Webcomic

Alright guys, I’ll cut to the chase. As some of you may know, I’ve been sketching intensely for quite a while now. I’ve really learned to enjoy drawing. Late last year I started off a web-comic that was pretty pathetic, and closed it after 20 weeks. However, I have not given up on my dream of making a comic, although my perspectives on a few things have changed. Frankly, the decisive factor in ending my last comic was that I suck at writing. I just don’t have the skill to make things work out, currently. I like the art side of the equation a lot more. I’ve seen many comics that work with partners, and know it can be done. Essentially, I’d like someone who really loves to write, and can write well, to work with me on a joint venture. You would design a story and dialogue, I would draw it. The comic would just be a small thing, I don’t plan to take it large scale or anything. Mostly, it would just be for fun- I could work on my art, you could work on your writing; we both win. Of course, our spheres wouldn’t be quite so cookie cutter; I’m looking for a partner. We would work together throughout the development of the comic, sharing samples and cluing each other into what we are doing so the whole thing goes cohesively, and we can help each other improve.

Now, before you enter, you should know I largely draw anthropomorphic animals. It’s just the style I like, this wouldn’t be a “furry” comic, persay, so don’t worry about that, I’m not looking for any of the regular plot conventions of that style. For some examples of my art, look here (http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=219685). I would be fine with my partner critiquing my artwork, I openly welcome it actually. If we can be honest with each other, that’s a major hurdle of working in a unit passed. However, if you simply don’t like the aspect of talking animals, sorry, that’s just something I like to draw.

As far as the writing goes, I’m pretty loose on what I’d want to see; I want you to have as much freedom as you feel you need. My only stipulation would be that I’d really like this to be focused; something other than gag-a-day, almost a graphic novel format. I’m cool with humor though, don’t get me wrong. I’d just like something with a bit of substance as well. I’d really like a meaning, or even just a general emotion to be imparted.

Well… I guess that’s about everything. I’m sure I’ve been too vague in a few spots, so feel free to ask me about specifics in this thread. I’m eager to work and hope there is someone else who shares my enthusiasm. It would be “work” (in the best sense of the word mini/tongue), and would take commitment, but I’m sure it will be great fun. PM me if you are really interested. If possible, I’d like samples of some of your work. Remember, only consider this if you really want to make a comic- that’s the big thing. If you’ve had an idea or a script that you’ve been wanting to see on print but never thought you could do it alone, this is your chance.
Thanks for reading this gigantic post. I think this will be amazing, and hope to find someone as pumped as I am!

-Squash

Re: Serious Partner Wanted for Webcomic

Me me me me!

If you mean an action like or drama like comic count me in. I write scripts and stuff all the time for brickfilms that I never do haha. Seriously, I've always wanted to do a comic, I could even do a color palette if you would like that.

I'd be interested. That's an interesting art style you got going on there. Writing is a really great hobby of mine, and I write scripts and short stories all the time for both live-action and animated films. Check your inbox.

I'm interested.  I'm big on talking animal characters, as evidenced by one of my current projects.  I've sort of been looking for someone/something like this for a while now.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Sméagol wrote:

I'm interested.  I'm big on talking animal characters, as evidenced by one of my current projects.  I've sort of been looking for someone/something like this for a while now.

FURRY

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/BertL/stuff2/10-05/furrysmeags.png

But in all seriousness, I'm interested as well. Just remember who it was who read every one of your comics and saw you turn into a great man from nothing. (Hint: It wasn't Smeagol.) Also, I'm marginally funny and if you have something to work with I'd take it anyways. Plus, I read like 20 webcomics on a daily basis so I feel a bit at home in the webcomic world already.

I was deliberately setting you up for a furry joke, thanks for taking the bait.

BertL wrote:

Just remember who it was who read every one of your comics and saw you turn into a great man from nothing. (Hint: It wasn't Smeagol.)

I'd just like to clarify that I did this as well.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Hmm, no MG jokes yet, I am impressed.

Just a heads up, I'll be making my decision Friday, so be sure to shoot me a PM by then if you would be interested. Thanks.

Droid wrote:

Hmm, no MG jokes yet, I am impressed.

Few of us are brave enough to make one.

I've decided that I'm going to become immune to several select, non-lethal poisons, then put them in my snacks to discourage sneaky snack snatchers. -Littlebrick

deviantART | YouTube

Plus I'm sure that MindGame is getting sick of them. I heard him say something about a "Brute Squad," whatever that means.

And yeah, as much as I'd like to do a webcomic, I lack the motivation and responsibility to keep on going for more than a day.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

I applied as well.

I just want to make sure that you got my PM though, Squash. It contained something else of importance and I'm worried that you didn't receive it because you're usually good about responding to PMs relatively quick.

I don't mean to seem pushy, I'm just slightly concerned that something is wrong with my inbox and outbox mini/smile

Oh, no, your boxes are fine mini/tongue
I just forgot to reply, my bad. I'll be responding in full later today.

Also, applications are now closed. I've spoken to the person chosen now, so he knows who he is. Don't feel bad if you weren't picked though, it was tough deciding who I thought would work out for the best. If you guys would like, we could set up a thread for similar things to this, since the market for people who want to make comics here seems to be pretty high. Thanks for taking the time to submit, all of you, I really do appreciate it and wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

Dang.

Oh well, I've been meaning to start writing a novel anyway; I would guess writing a comic series weekly and writing a serious novel is a little hard to balance.

Good luck with the webcomic!