Topic: First Person filming

I want to do some filming in first person filming. But I have no clue, any ideas would be appreciated.

"every day I feel more pleased that sigging isn't a thing anymore" - Squash
YOUTUBE | Will voice act, ping me in the discord.
03:52    Smeagol    I should send girls turds in a box
01:28    Smeagol    That signature leaves me wondering if I should be sending more girls more turds in boxes than I presently am

Re: First Person filming

Well what do you need to know?

"Doc seriously, do that one more time without warning me first and I'll flip this examination table and roundhouse kick you in the face." - Adam young

Filming in a first person view is going to be extremely difficult. You'll have to be able to use smooth camera motions, and you might need to stick arms to the side of the camera for effect. It's not worth trying. Just keep to your simple angles.

"Animation is about creating the illusion of life. And you can't create it if you don't have one." - Brad Bird

I think a first person brickfilm would be quite cool actually. It would be challenging, but nothing is impossible mini/wink .

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/nomfee/Lego/fjpb_poster_.png
Click above to watch mini/bigsmile
Youtube Twitter

It's not incredibly hard to make first person clips. I've made a running clip in first person, it was petty cool.

Watch Smeagol's "Unrenewable." He doesn't do any extremely advanced shots, just adds in a narrative voice and makes the main character in virtually all of the scenes.

http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac244/Dhizmoraxe/BiM%20Signature/BiMbubbles.png
Latest video: splat.

mini/lol mini/lol mini/lol mini/lol mini/lol

what's so funny? btw, welcome to BiM

You'd need a very small camera to stick on a minifig.

I must say that it would be an extreme challenge. Thumbs up to anyone who does it! mini/delirium

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/SpeedyGonZohan/GIMPStuff/SignaturesBiM/match.png

You could tape arms to the side of the camera or something.

Used to be 'Caidence'

mini/tongue *Kick* mini/tongue
Seeing as no one has really given any decent advice...

I've had a couple goes at this, and you can actually get a decent result. I've tried a couple tecniques, and have come up with a few suggestions.

1. Blue-tack the gun (or arm + gun if you want the hand visible) onto the side of your camera.

Pros:
  The gun will move with the camera, saving you having to position the camera in accord to the gun every frame.
Cons:
  The gun is unstable, but you could try reinforcing the hold with tape or something.
  Animating things like reloading is hard (you should also consider some methods for reloading too)

2. Make a small rig, like a megaphone (to hold the gun) stuck onto another brick (like a camera, or one of those weird things with holes and two handles on them that people sometimes use for lego halo SMGs), using the megaphone handle, in a socket that allows it to rotate up and down, or something like that, and utting the camera behind it so you see the guns.

Pros:
  The gun is held a lot more firmly, depending on what pieces you use.
  If you attach another megaphone on the other side, you can dual-wield.
Cons:
  You cannot use hands (unless you find a special magical brick that has an arm socket).
  The camera has to be lined up with the gun every frame.

3. File and/or cut the neck off of a minifig torso (I used an old dilapidated one), so that you can put the camera on just behind where the head would be, without having a great big neck-stump in the way, and be able to see and use the hands attached to it.

Pros:
  You can now see hands in the frame, and you can also use some other weapons that the megaphone won't hold (like swords etc.).
Cons:
  The camera has to be lined up with the rig every frame, and you have to be careful that you don't have the top of the body in frame.

4. Use any of the above methods, or others, to capture the weapon animation in front of a blue(or whatever colour) screen, and have the gun in focus, and animate it's movements such as jerking when shooting, meleeing etc. Chroma-key out the screen, and replace it with first-person footage from the camera, with no gun, to achieve both the gun and the scene in focus, and the gun is not just a blurry smudge in the corner of the screen, because you can only either focuse on the scene or the gun.

Pros:
  Scene and gun are in focus
  You can make another layer with gunfire in front of where the muzzle would be, so you can have muzzle flash effects IN FRONT of the gun.
  You can save time by animating all the stock actions, like meleeing, shooting, throwing grendes etc. (like halo and other fps's stock actions), and just cut them together in the final product.
Cons:
  The lighting can be a problem; the gun's lighting will not be the same as in whetever the scene is. Say, when the person turns in accord to a lamp or a dark room the gun won't appear to change lighting with it, and it may have a tinge of whatever 'blue' screen colour you used (although this can be combatted with something like the 'spill supression' option in Cinegobs Keyer, and changing the lighting when filming the animation of the weapon).

That was a long post mini/eek

mini/lol

Hope I've helped, sorry if it's a bit long. Cheers mini/smile

EDIT:

5. Seeing as you have a quickcam, you could make one of those 'cradles' out of lego and tape the camera to it. You can then attatch a rig in front of the camera to the lego cradle (The torso from 3. would work well, and you could use hands), and now you can move the camera cradle with the gun staying in the same place in front of the camera.

Pros:
  Camera and gun stay in accord to each other.
Cons:
  The gun or scene (although, given a choice preferably the gun) is still out of focus.

I had a look around on youtube, there are a lot of really amature ones, although some of these are ok and fun to watch;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WHuZaqIbCk

Pretty average, but the basic idea and animating principles are there, and I think it gives an idea of what it looks like. Also the sound effects are pretty good mini/lol

Last edited by legospaceman (April 8, 2010 (12:30am))

siggy
Legospaceman's YouTube channel!^Click to watch!(old vid)^]

I believe that Yanzl has a test on this a while ago.
If you like it im sure you could ask him how he did it.

-EmmaExecute

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll119/emma_execution/siggy.png
^Click to watch

Arms on the side of the webcam are not a must. Regular people don't walk around every day sticking their arms in the air so they are visible. If the person whom you are doing the first person through does an action requiring hands, then it's necessary, but not all the time. If you get what I mean.

That's what first person is and welcome to bricks in motion. mini/smile

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Chuppa/Signatures/sig1.png

My First Person Test.

I pretty much used my 3rd sugestion, just replaced the legs of the torso with long plates that I taped down to the cd case my camera was on, so that they stayed together.

@Micheal Um, I believe he's trying to make a first person shooter, and I think we're all talking about ways to hold weapons and hands holding them in front of the camera, like a first person shooter.

CK98, could you give us a bit more insight on what you want to do?

siggy
Legospaceman's YouTube channel!^Click to watch!(old vid)^]

Legospaceman, that was pretty epic.
I would make one myself, but alas my camera is broken.

Dog

http://i.imgur.com/Vghri.png
I'm back. Possibly.

legospaceman wrote:

My First Person Test.

I pretty much used my 3rd sugestion, just replaced the legs of the torso with long plates that I taped down to the cd case my camera was on, so that they stayed together.

@Micheal Um, I believe he's trying to make a first person shooter, and I think we're all talking about ways to hold weapons and hands holding them in front of the camera, like a first person shooter.

CK98, could you give us a bit more insight on what you want to do?

Nice test, but his head moves a little too much from side to side and barely enough up and down.

I'm actually not heading down the route of the first person shooter. But rather I want to try something like this this
So I need as much body visability as possible. Including the legs.

"every day I feel more pleased that sigging isn't a thing anymore" - Squash
YOUTUBE | Will voice act, ping me in the discord.
03:52    Smeagol    I should send girls turds in a box
01:28    Smeagol    That signature leaves me wondering if I should be sending more girls more turds in boxes than I presently am

It is not that hard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe3IzqQXSh4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-iahPAzLSw

How goes it?

mini/smile

hmmm if you have seen the beginning of fancypants' 'the game', it might help. what I would do is just move the camera like it was the vision of the main character, and when he lifts his arms up, just have the arms attached to the camera.