Topic: Monkey Walk cycle

Does any one have a link, or can explain a monkey walk cycle? On part of a film I'm working on I need a shot of a monkey walking and climbing into a boat, at 24fps.

I suspect It'll be somewhat similar to a normal walk, only with four legs.

Re: Monkey Walk cycle

Years (erm.. months... perhaps days...) of study were put into discovering what was the best walk cycle to use for a monkey. Would it be both legs moving forward on one side, then the other two legs moving forward? Or would it be those diagonally opposite to each other?

The overall conclusion was this: don't use a walk cycle. Random movements are perfect for your stereotypical monkey and look much better than anything more organised.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

I think the two back legs, then the front legs, etc. etc.

*Guy with wildlife degree gets on soap box*

I actually got out my notes on mammalian locomotion to answer this. I'm such a nerd. By the way, I'm taking you literally when you say the monkey is walking, so if he's actually moving with any sort of speed, throw this post out the window.

If you want to be completely accurate to a true monkey walk, the solution is probably way more complicated than you want to get for a brickfilm. In actuality, most smaller animals don't move any of their legs simultaneously. Diagonally-opposite legs are moved at about the same time, but the movement of the front leg is a fraction of a second before that of the rear. For example, the animal will move its right front and left rear legs at about the same time, but the right front will already be in the air before the left rear is picked up, and already on the ground before the left rear is put down. See diagram:
http://www.shawlein.com/The_Standard/08_Overview_of_Gait/Images/Gait%20fig%201%20thumbnail.JPG

All of this having been said, I think you're a lot better off going for the stereotypical monkey, having it run, and just make random movements, as Hazzat suggested.

Last edited by Noodle (March 14, 2010 (11:06am))

With all due respect Noodle, I don't want you here. - Ratboy Productions