Topic: Frame Capture With Digital Cameras & Set Design.

I was just making a stop motion, and i was wondering "Am I doing this right?" Firstly, i've seen alot of people filming with their digital cameras connected directly to their computer and animating system, and i've seen others just shooting their frames first and importing it later. Is there a right and wrong way to get the pictures to your computer, or can you do it either way? (Personally, i just shoot the frames first currently.

Secondly i was thinking, I dont have much lego, so should i make some of the set with cardboard, or just buy more lego?

Please reply and answer me! Thanks in advance!

Persist.

Re: Frame Capture With Digital Cameras & Set Design.

Brickfilmer's rule number 26: DO NOT USE CARDBOARD SETS. Buy more LEGO.

There is no 'right way' to animate. There are just more popular ways and ways that produce better results.. Choose what works best for you.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

Hazzat wrote:

There is no 'right way' to animate. There are just more popular ways and ways that produce better results.. Choose what works best for you.

Thanks Hazzat. I probably will get a new lego set today, or a bin...

Persist.

Brickfilmer's rule number 27: DO NOT LISTEN TO NUMBER 26.
Using cardboard allows for more possibilities. Carboard is cheap, but manipulated right, you can get great results.

NXTManiac

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

Brickfilmer's rule number 28: Shut up, NXT.

YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
Darkness cannot be destroyed. It can only be channelled.

Also Thwacked Zarathustra used cardboard sets. I personally think it's better to concentrate on building your animation skills and figuring out how to tell an entertaining story than it is to make sure every frame is wall-to-wall lego. It's cheaper too.

To answer the first question, people generally connect their cameras to their computers so they can preview the image they're about to capture on screen and overlay previous frames to check that there's no set wobble or fingers in the shot. Your animation will generally be a lot smoother this way.

Last edited by grizzle (January 18, 2009 (03:55pm))

maggosh wrote:

Brickfilmer's rule number 28: Shut up, NXT.

Are you implying that cardboard is unreasonable to use when it comes to stop motion aniamtion? mini/tongue

NXTManiac

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

Guys, it is better to use a blue cardboard sky then making a sky out of bricks on most situations. You could put Lego clouds on the cardboard. I suggest you use Lego for houses though, so the film actually feels like it is in a different world made of Lego.

magicoflego wrote:

I was just making a stop motion, and i was wondering "Am I doing this right?" Firstly, i've seen alot of people filming with their digital cameras connected directly to their computer and animating system, and i've seen others just shooting their frames first and importing it later. Is there a right and wrong way to get the pictures to your computer, or can you do it either way? (Personally, i just shoot the frames first currently.

If you can use frame-capture software I would recommend it, but some brickfilmers (like myself) film without it.

- Leo

Hazzat wrote:

But Keshen8 does it, and you've seen his results.

"Animation is about creating the illusion of life. And you can't create it if you don't have one." - Brad Bird

Hazzat wrote:

"The Letter" had cardboard as walls in the first scenes, and it looked fine. "Twelve Bucks" had cardboard too.

My old YouTube is since long ago defunct - now even removed.
Here is my new one.

If "The Letter" has it, then it must be fine.

Yechi Hamelech!

Frogtrap wrote:

Guys, it is better to use a blue cardboard sky then making a sky out of bricks on most situations.

Actually, in all situations. Not only is cardboard sky cheaper, but it's easier to maneuver, and it doesn't take up all your blue bricks. Besides, LEGO sky would be reflective, and you might be able to see cracks in it with a digital camera.

Filip wrote:

"The Letter" had cardboard as walls in the first scenes, and it looked fine. "Twelve Bucks" had cardboard too.

I don't believe that. Why would a guy with so much LEGO use cardboard for his sets? Anyway, I remember the shots in that film were somewhat blurry, and that might have hidden the cracks in the LEGO and made it look like one big piece.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

I film without frame capture software, but I probably wouldn't if my setup allowed it. It's rather hard to tell at times if the shot looks right on the camera's small screen.