Topic: 2010 Academy Awards

The 2010 Oscar nominations were just released. Your guys' thoughts?

Here's what I think:

The Good:
-The Hurt Locker and Avatar lead the pack with 9 nominations each
-Jeremy Renner for Best Actor
-District 9 picks up 4 nominations including Best Picture
-Up for Best Picture

The Bad:
-The Blind Side for Best Picture over several better films (Star Trek, Invictus)
-No (500) Days of Summer for Best Original Screenplay
-Matt Damon somehow nominated Best Supporting Actor for Invictus
-Where The Wild Things Are doesn't pick up any sort of technical nominations, in particular, Art Direction, Costume Design
-Ponyo misses Best Animated Film
-No District 9 for Best Makeup

So, overall, a few good selections and a few surprised, but a pretty "meh" list otherwise.

Last edited by MindGame (February 2, 2010 (11:57am))

Re: 2010 Academy Awards

Inglourious !@#$%^&* FTW

Matt Damon and an oscar nomination?WTF?
Rather happy with District 9's outcome, unsure if it will win best picture, though.

11:41 Hazzat NO FUN ALLOWED IN BRICKFILMING COMMUNITY

I was kind of upset that 9 didn't get any nominations, as I though it was a great film. Visually. I am very glad that Up got the Best Film nomination, even though it's chances of winning it are slim. As for everything else, most of the films I haven't even seen, but I did see Avatar, and I'm not surprised by the nominations it got.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

Just_a_Minifig wrote:

Matt Damon and an oscar nomination?WTF?.

Watch out. He may find where you live and kill you. mini/eek

http://thebuttonfilm.com/

I, for one, believe 'The Blind Side' was picked well.

I've decided that I'm going to become immune to several select, non-lethal poisons, then put them in my snacks to discourage sneaky snack snatchers. -Littlebrick

deviantART | YouTube

MindGame wrote:

-No (500) Days of Summer for Best Original Screenplay

This made me cry.

Where the Wild things are!!! mini/eek I don't get it... h... how?!?!

http://www.bricksinmotion.com/sig.png
Brick by Brick is the man

Yeah I agree that The Blind Side getting a Best Picture nomination is pretty weak; it was an okay movie but definitely not a standout in any areas other than perhaps Bullock's performance.  I guess they probably wanted to represent some variety but there were plenty of much better movies, even Star Trek would have been more suitable.  But then you'd have two sci-fi blockbusters in the best picture nominations, plus District 9...

I still find the distinction between sound mixing and sound editing a little funny considering that they frequently have mostly the same nominees and all the other categories are broader.  I guess some might argue that there are several categories for visuals, so it makes sense to have at least two for sound.  (Score and best song not withstanding)

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

I've kind of stopped caring about the Oscars since they rarely seem to reward real quality, but this year does seem particularly disappointing. A Serious Man should have been up for cinematography and editing, and I can't believe Michael Stuhlbarg's performance in that was overlooked. Where the Wild Things Are, while not a perfect film, was somewhat snubbed in my opinion (I thought it was beautifully filmed, for one). I'm happy that Christian Berger's cinematography for The White Ribbon got a nomination.

In general, most of the nods seem to be on the basis of hype and commercial appeal.

MindGame wrote:

The Bad:
-Where The Wild Things Are doesn't pick up any sort of technical nominations, in particular, Art Direction, Costume Design

Are you kidding me? Where's Karen O's work on the movie soundtrack? That should've been nominated for something...

Last edited by Tripod (February 2, 2010 (05:04pm))

Teh Tripod has teh extra boost.

I am devoted to proving that the brickfilm art can be just as serious, emotional, and entertaining as anything in the professional film industry.

I have to agree with Tripod, Karen O did an amazing job.

For whatever reason, I know that the soundtrack for Where the Wild Things Are was disqualified for the Best Original Score category (the Academy's rules for that are pretty odd, which has caused a number of scores in the past to be deemed ineligible. Most prominently, There Will Be Blood back in 2007). However, it was still eligible for the Best Original Song category, and I'm surprised that they didn't at least throw them a bone there for "All is Love."

I sorta agree with Night Owl in that the Academy sometimes tends to reward films often based on hype rather than actual quality (in 2005, many Academy members refused to watch screenings of Brokeback Mountain, probably for obvious reasons), though not necessarily all the time. And, after all, that hype has to have some reason behind it, and most of the time it isn't necessarily unfounded.

With the Oscars, I've sort of come to the mindset that when I predict winners/nominees, I don't think about what "should" be nominated, but rather what "will" be nominated.

Last edited by MindGame (February 2, 2010 (07:09pm))