Topic: Hey My Favorite People! (Hey-Oh, I say Hey-Oh!)

Sorry, had to get that out of my system.

I'm working on a pretty decent animation project, its a pitch for a small series (but by small I mean not lacking in kick-ass) but I'm hitting dead-ends with terminology and whatnot... Seriously, there's too much slang in animation, and far too much custom-made stuff that I need to buy!

http://www.thebrasswire.com/80070-12.jpg
Basically, I'm going to be working with 1/6 scale figures. I'm going to be shooting with an SLR, and it's going to be absolutely tight (Patrick Boivin style for the high-action sequences).

But I have no idea where to get a few things, and I know there are some killer brains sitting around here that I can get some advice from mini/smile

I need support rigs. Adaptable and modular, and I need at least two of them. Does anyone know much about them? People are telling me they're custom made, but there must be somewhere I can grab the pieces in a box for a bumped up price? I love the look of the Climpex stuff (http://www.climpex.co.uk/climpexhome2.htm) but I can't just order it immediately. I've got some test figures on the way, and I'm working on an excellent dolly rig made from RC train tracks and ply wood, that will give my camera a perfectly smooth and gentle ride.

I love you guys, I'm really hoping someone here might be able to give me a lead on this mini/smile I promise I'll hang out more, I'll make cookies, and I'll give you peeks into what I'm rocking mini/smile

Cheers,

Brendan

(PS, I'm sorry about the Western project, but this is the next evolutionary step of it. Just like Jay wants to do his pirate film with bigger puppets mini/smile)

Last edited by Ladon (January 20, 2010 (04:13am))

Re: Hey My Favorite People! (Hey-Oh, I say Hey-Oh!)

Ooh, 1/6 scale figures. That's pretty big. So this series is going to be in Western style?

Not exactly, it's more spiritually spawned from my western project. The feeling I wanted to capture with my Civil War era stories has been shifted to WWII on the European front, just because I really want to set a story there. So instead of conspiracy and betrayal on the front lines of North vs South, you have a bunch of pilots, soldiers, and spies pushing up against Nazi scientists and experiments far past the frontline...

So imagine Band of Brothers mixed with Inglorious !@#$%^&*, cross mixed with Thunderbirds and Robot Chicken. Doll-eyed heroes crossing paths with crazy Nazi craziness, pulp style.

And oh wow, animating in 1/6 scale at 24fps is actually almost easier than 15fps with a minifig... As soon as you have onionskinning, magnetic feet, and a support rig, you can do almost anything mini/smile

I just need support rigs mini/sad

Wow! Sounds like your best yet. I definitely hope you can pull it off! mini/smile
- Aaron

I just ordered some O scale model train track, to make a 31" diameter dolly rig... I figure I'll clog the wheels a little, and attach a length of ribbed tubing to the outer side of the rig, with a strong pin descending from the camera platform that will click into the grooves in the tubing, so I can measure my movement without having the entire thing slipping around, and without making dodgy measurements.

I'm going to be shooting in 24fps, so I can't afford to have messy frames!

Hah.

For future reference, if anyone ever finds themselves wondering what to use as a support for a larger figure, or even for a minifig, grab some of these:
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.store … iew/T5715/

I've just bought 4, and I'm going to rig them up to make two very long sturdy arms to support my figs for walk cycles and running, jumping, climbing trees, etc. Should be excellent!

Ouch. Don't 1/6 Scale figures cost, like, $100 a pop? mini/dizzy

Persist.

I'm looking at between $50 and $100 per figure... It hurts, but I've got a decent budget to burn (Ok, so its actually my own money? But its a budget, nonetheless... We'll call it 'self financed'?

But yeah, only a few of the figures will be hitting $90, the rest are $50 or so.

I think its worth it... so far!

Iam actually thinking of animating 1/6 scale figures too. I've got 4-5, I think mini/XD

So, Ladon, maybe we could exchange some information? We should keep in touch mini/wink

I wish you well with this, too. mini/smile

Persist.