Re: walking

randomparrot wrote:
fib12345 wrote:

and my current 6 frame, which is a beauty.

I use a five frame walk and it comes out quite smooth.

Hazzat said not to cos its an odd number. mini/bigsmile

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fib12345/Lolz/lulz.png
"actuallly this involves spiderman too, not batman. but im also taking a new approach, more comedy, less action. i dont see to many movies like that with more comedy than action" --SteveStarfyTV on an Indiana Jones meets Star Wars idea.

ok

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jmhperson/park/sig.png

Thats a joke btw.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fib12345/Lolz/lulz.png
"actuallly this involves spiderman too, not batman. but im also taking a new approach, more comedy, less action. i dont see to many movies like that with more comedy than action" --SteveStarfyTV on an Indiana Jones meets Star Wars idea.

i coaght on

I'm pretty sure Nos uses a 7 in Frankenstein? But, I personnally use 6 and I think it looks fab.

My friend is trying to brickfilm, and he said he devised a 12-frame walk cycle at 24fps!

I'd like to see this alleged 12-frame walk.

YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
Darkness cannot be destroyed. It can only be channelled.

same that would take forever to make though

fib12345 wrote:

5 frame isn't that bad. Only use it if you don't need to synch it with stuff. I used it in TV Addiction, which, of course, only had music.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

fib12345 wrote:
randomparrot wrote:
fib12345 wrote:

and my current 6 frame, which is a beauty.

I use a five frame walk and it comes out quite smooth.

Actually filming at 15 fps you cane easily work out how long a scene is going to last.

_2014

FLL-Freak wrote:

My solution to walking was to buy 8 identical minifigs from bricklink.com. I very carefully posed each minifig in the eight cycle walking positions. I made a test animation to get the positions just right. After that animation was nothing more than pulling one minifig up, and dropping the next one in place. I keep my duplicates in a egg carton all numbered. On the botton of each foot was a number as well. (...)

That is brilliant! I tip my hat to you, sir!

It just makes so much sense, and is such a magnificent piece of lateral thinking, I'm jealous I didn't think of it myself.

Excuse me, I have to try this out now.

UPDATE:

...aaand here I'm back with the results (may still be processing at the time of writing). In a nutshell: it works. The good news, instead of 8 minifigs you can make do with 7. The bad news: that will still only give you a 4-frame walk. So for a 6-frame walk (imho needed for smooth 15 fps walking), you'd need 11 identical minifigs. That can be quite 'spensive, so I think it's only worthwhile if you need to animate long walks.

-PG

Last edited by papaguru (January 17, 2009 (03:44pm))

Version 1 of the the screenplay for episode 2 of The Stunt is finishised, and I really, really] await your critique!

Olsonstudios wrote:

I'm pretty sure Nos uses a 7 in Frankenstein? But, I personnally use 6 and I think it looks fab.

I think you are wrong. Nosniborus used the 6 frame walk in Grace, which came after Frankenstain, and I can't see the reason for why he would use a smoother (but slower, of course) walk cycle in an earlier film.

My old YouTube is since long ago defunct - now even removed.
Here is my new one.

Papaguru,

By no strech of the imagination should this idea be credited with me. A host of old school animators used this "animation by substitution" trick. An actor would be made, a mold made of it and dozens of wax duplicated pulled from it. Each would get 'dressed' and positioned for various repetative tasks. When doing this type of animation, somekind of index had to be included with the actor. A metal pin in the foot or rear. Something that the animator could reference with calipers to make sure the actor was in the right place.

I was almost embarrased to see the Youtube test with my screen name all over it. Like I said, it was not my idea in the first place. But I will take credit for re-introducing the idea to a new generation of animators!

You are right about not needing the eight minifig. I purchased my actors in groups of 8 to have one minfig available for non walking scenes. Sometimes I would have even more when I needed stunt doubles for various tasks.

I animated at 15 FPS. The standard eight position walk cycle seemed about the right speed for what I was doing. At $3 a minifig, it would not be that expensive to by a dozen or more for the serious hobbist. I invested a few thousand in cameras, software, and other equipment. $50 in minifig to keep my project on schedule (I had a firm schedule from my "client") was a small price to pay.

I am not sure what you mean by only getting a four frame walk cycle. There are 7 unique positions but admititly half of them are mirror images of the others. Is that what you mean?

FIB12345: Having fun with your signature? <grin>

Last edited by FLL-Freak (January 17, 2009 (07:23pm))

Skye Sweeney
www.fll-freak.com

fll-freak?! Where have you been?

Wow! I haven't talked to you since I first joined Brickfilms!

-LBJ

AHH THE JET SET '60'S, THANKS NANCY!
Youtube | JM-Music | Facebook
"But 3D is cool as nipples, man. " - Jimmybob

FLL-Freak wrote:

By no strech of the imagination should this idea be credited with me. A host of old school animators used this "animation by substitution" trick. (...) But I will take credit for re-introducing the idea to a new generation of animators!

Well, I learned from you, hence your name went into the test. Credit be given where credit is due.

mini/eek AAAAAaaarrghh!!! I just noticed, I misspelled your name on every occasion! So sorry! [/blush]
UPDATE: Corrected. Somewhat.

FLL-Freak wrote:

You are right about not needing the eight minifig. I purchased my actors in groups of 8 to have one minfig available for non walking scenes. Sometimes I would have even more when I needed stunt doubles for various tasks.

True, I only considered the walking. Having a spare fig (or multiple) available for other scenes can indeed be convenient.

FLL-Freak wrote:

I animated at 15 FPS. The standard eight position walk cycle seemed about the right speed for what I was doing.

Well, yes. What's the right speed is indeed firstly dependent on what you're doing, and secondly on the animator's opinion. In general though, the eight postion cycle results in almost 4 steps per second (@15FPS), which (imho) feels too much like Laurel and Hardy's way of filming high speed pursuits. A twelve postition cycle gives 2,5 steps per second (@15FPS). Still the double of normal human walk, but to me, it feels natural for a minifig.

FLL-Freak wrote:

At $3 a minifig, it would not be that expensive to by a dozen or more for the serious hobbist. I invested a few thousand in cameras, software, and other equipment.

mini/eek
'Till now, I've spend EUR 20 on brickfilming, IN TOTAL! (One cheap-ass webcam, one legoset for parts). All the rest I had lying around (those 1982 firemen I used for the test, are vintage, childhood memories). Perhaps I should arrange a buget meeting with the mrs. mini/wink

FLL-Freak wrote:

I am not sure what you mean by only getting a four frame walk cycle. There are 7 unique positions but admititly half of them are mirror images of the others. Is that what you mean?

Yes. Or at least, that's how I understood walks to be described here on the forum and on brickhelp. The number of a n-frame walk refers to the number of frames used for one step. A cycle consists of two steps.

-PG

Last edited by papaguru (January 18, 2009 (05:51am))

Version 1 of the the screenplay for episode 2 of The Stunt is finishised, and I really, really] await your critique!

Jonathan|Marrero wrote:

fll-freak?! Where have you been?

Wow! I haven't talked to you since I first joined Brickfilms!

-LBJ

After making three movies I burned out. I also had a few health problems that sidelined me for a few months. So I took a vacation and tried my hand at other things. I just stumbled back here trying to get rid of the dolly I made for one of my movies (still no takers). I am trying to make room in what was my wood shop and then turned into a studio and is now going back to a wood shop.

I was shocked and saddened at the split in the community since I left. This split is really stupid. I read the history behind it and just shook my head with sadness. Not sure if I will come back to animating with bricks and what website I will go to.

Skye Sweeney
www.fll-freak.com