Topic: I need some tips

Hi! I'm a pretty new brickfilmer, but I have a Logitech 9000. I just need a few tips:

How do you make good panning shots?

How do you make good backgrounds?
OK, thats all for now. I'll post more if I think of some.:)

Re: I need some tips

Good panning shots... one thing many brickfilmers do it build a special LEGO stand for their camera. Taping down a ruler (and making sure it doesn't move around) and then sliding the stand alongside it with equal distances between each frame would make for a nice dolly shot.

Good backgrounds is something different. That depends entirely on what kind of set you have.

OK.:D Thanks.

To pan i usually create a LEGO cradle for my camera and clip it onto the baseplate my set is on, then i count across a few studs each frame. that way the camera is secure and it creates an even pan.

Joe Sitch wrote:

To pan i usually create a LEGO cradle for my camera and clip it onto the baseplate my set is on, then i count across a few studs each frame. that way the camera is secure and it creates an even pan.

And how would you make a cradle? I have a Logitech 9000, and I made a base that is modified from this one: 

http://www.bricksinmotion.com/refugeeca … hp?id=2651

I did the same thing with my logitech 9000, just adapted it from somelses base.

Anything will do as long as you can move it across studs.

Last edited by Joe Sitch (December 29, 2009 (03:58pm))

Here you go dude, this is most likely exactly what you're looking for.

Darkman's Tutorial.

Thanks! I'm trying to make one right now. mini/bigsmile

I could help you with this one, seeing as I have a Logitech 9000 myself. Um...try and look up a way to build a stand out of LEGO's for it first of all. Second, if your animation program has an onion skinning feature, turn it on. every frame, move the camera a little bit over and test this for a while until you get good at it.

This would generally be the place where one would look to find a person's sense of humor. Good luck trying.

Meh, I use Monkeyjam.That doesn't have Onion Skinning.

So use something else. Like HeliumFrog, or AnimatorDV+ Simple.

You don't necessarily need onion skinning to animate stuff, though it can be a good tool for some. When shooting panning shots, I myself usually play back the 3 or 4 most recent frames together with the live feed and see if it's jittery or bumpy. It's pretty time consuming but it works for me.

That tutorial isn't of a pan that is teaching you how to TRACK a PAN is completly different... just thaught i'd let you know:)

Killed by the husband, drowned by the ocean, shot by his own son, he used the poison in his tea an kissed him goodbye, that's my kind of story, It's no fun 'til someone dies.