Topic: How to...

Alright instead of posting several topics. I'm gonna ask my questions here.

First question: how do you make fast movements like in fight scenes without changing the frame rate.
Example:Guy lifts his arm to punch another guy happens really fast.I have 16 fps

Re: How to...

make larger movements per frame, so it looks faster.

''You don't have to tell him how great is coffee is man!''

Use larger movements as TG said, but remember to use the easing in and easing out method so it doesn't appear choppy. FancyPants has a really good tutorial here.

Last edited by Brain Wave (December 4, 2009 (10:12am))

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/nomfee/Lego/fjpb_poster_.png
Click above to watch mini/bigsmile
Youtube Twitter

Yeah I thought about that but how does easing in and out help it to not be choppy

Last edited by Interbrick (December 12, 2009 (06:16am))

Watch the tutorial and you'll find out.
- Aaron

Filming at low frame rates such as 12fps or 15fps is Ok for objects that move relatively slowly.

I believe that you have to increase the frame rate for scenes where the relative movement of an object between frames increases. It has to do with visual persistance (ie an image staying on the retina for a short time.)

One way around it is to film on twos at say 32fps. Take two identical frames for each movement, so you are effectively making 16 movements per second as you are doing but clicking the shutter twice each time. When you get to the fast moving part of the scene, move less but take individual frames. Its explained a little on this website. Check the area titled "cartoon animation". Also googling for "visual persistance" may help you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistenc … _animation

Last edited by martinprice2004 (December 4, 2009 (03:17pm))

Free Animation Software at www.HeliumFrog.com

Alright I figured out how to make faster movements. Thanks to Fancypants' Tutorial and a bunch of tests made:) . Now does anyone know how to make minifigures walk up walls like in keshen's film Spam Police 2.
I'm trying to make a fight scene for a brickfilm I'm doing

Use GreenScreening/Keying, Masking, Blu-Tack. I Would prefer Masking and Blu-Tack, As it seems to be the easist' Way.
-Jack.

You could always put your set and camera on its side. Film your character walking as normal. when played back he looks like hes walking up the wall!

I cannot claim credit for this fantastic idea. I got it from that batman tv series in the 60's (Adam West era). Its more cheesy than a hobos armpit but still a classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLZQ3OLEJWE

If you can't bear to watch it all jump video to 2:41 to see the death defying wall walk.

By the way easing in and easing out doesn't make VERY large movements appear less choppy. I'm afraid there is no subtitute for higher frame rate in certain situations.

All the movements in that tutorial are relatively small. Easing in and easing out helps "sell" a move as it is the way things move naturally, ie starting slow accelerating then decelerating. That tutorial was excellent though and the guy is clearly a great animator.

Last edited by martinprice2004 (December 11, 2009 (02:51pm))

Free Animation Software at www.HeliumFrog.com