Topic: The Pop N' Lock

Directory Link

The Pop N' Lock

YouTube
Vimeo

A 3D Lego animated short, A lego figure attempts to impress his lady friend with an abundance of what he believes to be 'innovative dance moves'. Little does he know one of them could be the cause of a cut short relationship.

--Credits--
JC Cocker - Producer
Jadon Barnes - Director, Animation, Editing, Render Wrangler, Texturing
Alex Satanov - Writer
Charles M. Barnes - Sound Design, Recordist, Render Wrangler
Mindy Van Kuren - Female Lego Figure
Ben Gibson - Male Lego Figure

Re: The Pop N' Lock

Nicely done!

Welcome to BiM!
It's true, we don't get too many CGI animators around here. But we do try to welcome the few that come.
Hope you enjoy it here.

The short looks pretty cool, and I love all the contrasting elements between each person's perception of the dancing.
The lights, camera movement and music all work perfectly, and give us a glimpse of the deeper character of each person.
It's an odd moment at 0:19 when the music cuts out for a few seconds, since it's present everywhere else.

Dancing has always been hard to portray with the limited joints of the minifigure, and this is where the freedom of CGI comes in. You maintained the integrity of the figure, but made use of the complete movement control (and lack of gravity) found only in the computer. The animation is smooth and snappy, and avoids the usual "super-slow-and-smooth" look that many Lego CGI shorts suffer from.

Did you leave off the roof to give it a "Legos in the playroom" feel? It's an interesting idea, but one that may have worked better with the actual physical bricks. It gives a sorta sense of incompleteness to the set.

The script is simple, but works well when paired with the visuals. And I didn't see that ending coming.
(And what is the 'Lock' part? Or do I want to know?)

The short is executed very well, the visuals are engaging, the jokes amusing, and I sure hope you're planning on making more.