Topic: Blocking Out Windows?

In my room I have two fairly large windows. I can draw the curtains and pull down the blinds but it makes do difference. I still get a fair amount of light.

So how do I block out the windows?

I have tried using bin bags but that didn't work well.

( there are no rooms without windows )

Re: Blocking Out Windows?

Is there any way you can drape a big thick blanket over the windows?  If you can't, then make a wall out of tall objects and film on the floor, where there is less light.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/BuilderBrothers/signatures/thac14sig.png

BuilderBrothers wrote:

Is there any way you can drape a big thick blanket over the windows?  If you can't, then make a wall out of tall objects and film on the floor, where there is less light.

No, don't ever film on the floor. You need somewhere stable to animate on. Try what BB said, draping a big blanket over the windows to try and stop the light.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/nomfee/Lego/fjpb_poster_.png
Click above to watch mini/bigsmile
Youtube Twitter

Is the door closed?

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Chuppa/Signatures/sig1.png

Chuppa wrote:

Is the door closed?

Yes

This may be an obvious suggestion, but... film at night?

With all due respect Noodle, I don't want you here. - Ratboy Productions

I have the unfortunate problem of having two windows right near my animation area. My solution... I have tacked/ taped, two thick blankets/large pieces of cloth I found in my basement. It works great. And then even when I still have light flicker, I usually just digitally correct it using colour corrector.

Noodle wrote:

This may be an obvious suggestion, but... film at night?

It might be that he isn't able to, like he has to do things every night or whatever.

-JK

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

I can't really add much to what everybody has said, but how many lamps do you use? This could also be a problem causing light-flicker. BTW shouldn't this be in "Production" ?

-Tejas VIM

If your basement has windows, usually they're small, and easy to block with something like a thick blanket. If you do not have a basement, than ignore everything I just said. mini/tongue

It can be hard to keep a blanket in place.  It can pull down curtain rods and using tape can take the paint off the walls (which your parents would hate), and light can still be seen around the edges.

Instead, try carefully taping thick/heavy style aluminum foil to the metal frame around the window glass with masking tape.  You'll probably have to use two or three lengths of foil to cover a large window.  I think it's easiest to tear them off to the right length, and tape them together on the floor before you try to tape them to the window frame.  Have someone help hold the foil for you when you do tape it to the window frame since it will be a fairly large sheet once taped together. 

I had to do this once to get sleep in a hotel with very bright windows.  Light couldn't sneak around the edges either, and the tape pulled right off with no damage when I was done.

Good luck! mini/smile

Last edited by Brick7 (July 27, 2010 (11:29pm))

dude just film at night you shouldnt have to make a bunch of rigs or animate on the floor, simply animate when the sun goes down its that easy

silents429 wrote:

dude just film at night you shouldnt have to make a bunch of rigs or animate on the floor, simply animate when the sun goes down its that easy

Read Just Kidden's post mini/smile

It seems I have now found a solution. Thanks Brick7!

Well then congratulations!

"Now you're just being cute. I CAN'T GO TO PIGFARTS. IT'S ON MAAARS, YOU NEEED A ROCKETSHIP. Do you have a rocketship, Potter? I bet you do. You know, not all of us inherited enough money to buy out NASA when our parents died; Look at this. Rocketship Potter. Starkid Potter. Moooonshoes Potter. TRAVERSING THE GALAXY FOR INTERGALATIC TRAVELS TO PIGFARTS." Draco Malfoy