Re: The Free Software List

I would advise against "tweening" in stop motion; it's always really obvious, doesn't look very good, and gives the impression to other the animators that you're to lazy to actually animate enough frames. It's also so much more personally rewarding to actually animate each frame. mini/smile

backyardlegos wrote:

I would advise against "tweening" in stop motion; it's always really obvious, doesn't look very good, and gives the impression to other the animators that you're to lazy to actually animate enough frames. It's also so much more personally rewarding to actually animate each frame. mini/smile

Wha...?

Oh wait, you must be talking about inserting transition frames with editing software.
That's usually used to make something that already has inbetweens smoother, but I don't think it's a good idea to use it to add ALL the inbetweens.

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

Does anyone know if there's a Mac version of MLCad/LeoCad? I've been searching around and can't find one...

If there isn't, can anyone suggest an alternative? Thanks!

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Does anyone know if any of these stop motion softwares support DSLR's, as I need to use a Canon 1100D for a school project but the only software i can find is AnimatorHD, which has watermarks...
Please help!

thanks a lot!

"Oh wait, bananas are banana repellant."

Are you looking for free? I don't have any suggestions for free. There is one that I've heard is great. I don't know much about software but I would recommend Dragon Stopmotion. ($275) It's pretty much the (I think) dominating program for professionals. I know some people here on the forums use it. I'm saving up to get it.

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

Legocloniac477 wrote:

Are you looking for free?

thanks, i was hoping to find something that is free as i only need it for one project, but thank you i will look into it mini/smile

"Oh wait, bananas are banana repellant."

Ac Films wrote:
Legocloniac477 wrote:

Are you looking for free?

thanks, i was hoping to find something that is free as i only need it for one project, but thank you i will look into it mini/smile

I'm pretty sure dragon has a free trial you can download.  I don't know if there are any limitations though.

What are th best export settings for FrameByFrame on Mac? I have all these really high quality frames that are exported as really low-res video clips.

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

jampot wrote:

What are th best export settings for FrameByFrame on Mac? I have all these really high quality frames that are exported as really low-res video clips.

Maybe look into compression options. Export uncompressed if you are going for quality.

BISCUIT!
My website is in construction!

jampot wrote:

FrameByFrame on the Mac is not the best application out there for shooting. The app has very very poor RAM management, so when you export the movie, your computer will run out of RAM in the middle of the export so half of your video actually is exported. The rest is cut off. However if you have more than 2GB of RAM, it might not be a big deal.

But to answer your question, I liked to go with "Quick Export" where I didn't have to choose the format.

I don't shoot on it. I take all my frames on a Nikon D3100, and then import them into FrameByFrame. The images are ridiculously large, but FrameByFrame drastically decreases the quality no matter what settings I use to export it, which is annoying. I'll give Quick Export a go, though. Thanks.

Even if you import your photos it doesn't know how to manage your RAM correctly.

Ah, okay. Do you know of any other Mac freeware that might be better?

Unfortunately, no. I started using iStopMotion after I got tired of dealing with FrameByFrame, but right now it's like $50 on the Mac App Store. I was able to buy it on sale for either $30 or $20 around Christmas time but I'm not sure if they'll do that same sale again this comig Christmas. The thing is, I can't buy software from other sites other than the Mac App Store because I'm able to go to a local supermarket an buy an iTunes gift card with cash and then use that to buy software online. So if you can't buy software with a credit card, you might consider buying an iTunes gift card locally.

There's also one application called I Can Animate that is not free. However, I have the trial version and I can't seem to find any limitations except that it'll ask you to upgrade everytime you launch the app.

FrameByFrame exports my footage in a way that makes it look posterized. Is there a solution for this?

I don't know, because I haven't used FrameByFrame since early 2012, but probably not.

Any ideas for a quick, free alternative to FrameByFrame? I don't think I'll be able to afford istopmotion until February.

I think they have some free apps to put together stopmotion clips on the Mac App Store.

Ok, I'll have a look. Thanks.

Also, can anyone tell me what the best export settings for MonkeyJam are? I'm repurposing my creaky old laptop solely for MonkeyJam.

Framed is a free program for mac and I think it shood export good.

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube