Re: Café Corner

And although I said it before, it doesn't hurt repeating: I think the "are All Dead." cover is among the greatests COMIC covers of the decade, Transfomers or otherwise.  I made a mistake in the original text.  Issue 17, "Into The Smelting Pool", is part 1 of a 2-part story, not part 2.  Part 2, which is issue 18, is "The Bridge To Nowhere", the comic book's rendition of the animated series' famouse "Space Bridge".  the space bridge resembled a half of a suspension bridge, with the other half on another planet.  Transformers warp by crossing the center of the bridge.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Here's a fun wiki you all might want to check out. mini/smile

I'll always remember Adam West.

So, the other day I found out that the voice actress for Sombra from Overwatch and I happen to share the same birthday (June 15th).  On a whim, I tweeted to her about this... and she responded!
https://images.discordapp.net/attachments/287133899656527872/324555210817011712/sombra_is_pretty_chill_irl.PNG?width=662&height=672

I am now a Sombra main...

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Guys, the fact that flux and quantum yield are represented by the same Greek letter is really tripping me up. mini/blankexpression

backyardlegos wrote:

Guys, the fact that flux and quantum yield are represented by the same Greek letter is really tripping me up. mini/blankexpression

this one really keeps me up at night too

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Something that's been annoying me for a while. Rebrick users have gotten hold of an idea that the winners of all the brickfilming contests have been 'professionals', and that the presence of pros is the only thing holding them back from winning. Their logic seems to be: better than me = professional. My thinking had always been that if I lost contests I should improve rather that have the hosts lower the bar, but...

I don't know why this should be bothering me, though.   
http://bricksafe.com/files/FeinsteinFilms/random/Screenshot%20%2885%29.png

YouTube

"If you find a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

Yeah seeing that bugs me too. While I'm by no means a professional, for a start not many brickfilmers get that much money from their work, and secondly 'fancy brickfilming' is just getting good by practising, there is no other way of saying it. I'm sure all those people there could be really good if they kept at it, and besides, the really good ones that I saw for the Ninjago contests related very well to the contest. Calling it 'good morals' is a bad analogy too, because they seem to forget that with these sort of contests like for the lego movie, Ninjago movie etc. they are being shown to the entire world in cinemas. TLG aren't going to want low-quality stuff in their movies, even if they didn't make it. I'm going to be honest lots of the entries for the most recent contest weren't that great, and while I haven't seen who the winners are, I know that Lego will have made the right choice.

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

That's funny. From what I've seen there's not a ton of consistency to how Rebrick animation contest winners are chosen. They usually choose good films, but there have been times that I've seen entries which struck me as obviously superior to the winners and didn't even place.

If anything, it seems like a really good contest for someone who isn't very experienced to enter because there's always the chance that inconsistency will work out in your favor (and on the other hand, someone who is brickfilming to make money might think twice about entering from the frustration of knowing they're putting time into creating a quality product that could be completely ignored for nebulous reasons).

lol that entitled attitude.

first "people go get money." Nobody gets money. They earn it. And contests can be a part of earning it. Second, "where there is all the people (like me) who get no money from my brickfilms on my channel," um, nobody make money from youtube adsense. Get good at making videos and get sponsors, or, more likely, clients and make the videos they want you to. Or, just get good and then win contests! Third, "are not allowed to win," everyone has the same chance of winning. Better skills enhance the likelihood of winning (well, in a normal contest it would, but ReBrick gives out simi-vague contest prompts then picks lame videos anyway).

Plus, not everyone who makes a good video is a "professional." Few people make brickfilms as their profession, and if they do, they may be employed by The LEGO Group, therefore being ineligible to enter (though, that doesn't explain how Brotherhood gets away with it by "collaborating" with Bricks Brought to Life, but anywayyy...)

I think it's kind of a morbidly funny look at reality. People complain about not having skills instead of working toward improving their skills and getting better. rip world

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Sounds like the exact attitude I had when I first joined BiM 2 years back. Labeling the more talented and experienced as  'professionals' is unfair. I know how it feels to not succeed in even making the top 10 in contests, let alone winning, but haven't we all been there at one point?

It's all about experience. I used to have the attitude that I was never really good enough to be a contest winner, but maybe I see animation contests differently now. Really, you need to look at these contests more as a test to try to reach your limits and really challenge yourself. It's a much healthier attitude, and if you stand by that, you will learn to improve and one day you will be good enough to win contests.

In this day and age, as much as we talk about how brickfilming isn't the way it used to be, the truth is, it's never been bigger. Brickfilming is becoming an ever more competitive hobby. As much as we see a lot of low quality brickfilms, there are more well crafted, story driven brickfilms being made today than ever before, so much so, that not all of them have the fortune of gaining a huge audience or getting the praise they deserve. More often than not, there a great brickfilms that don't make the top 10's when it comes to contests, because so many talented brickfilmers are active these days.

So, yeah, it's easy to get a little jealous from time to time - we are human, after all, but in a time when the brickfilming world is ever growing in popularity, you have to really push boundaries, take risks and have the experience to be unique and be one of the best!

I think it's funny that there are people out there who are looking at the rebrick contests as a sign of who the best brickfilmers are. As Squash said, the consistency is non-existent. For the LEGO Movie contest Brotherhood workshop wins, after having done tons of contract work for LEGO (and he and Pagonomation get mentioned in the credits, while the other 7 animators who's work was used don't, but that's not really on LEGO, I don't think) and then the winners of the Batman contest were frankly rather weak; I saw many entries that were leagues above those picked as winners, including several by members of this site. I honestly don't intend to enter any of them unless I happen to have a really good idea that I would make anyway; I just don't see the point.

Dittos to RioForce on every word just above.

They keep using this word "professional", yet I do not think it means what they think it means...

In all seriousness, I highly doubt that the animators they are refering to can be considered "professional".  As far as I'm aware almost every  brickfilmer here has some sort of day job even if they've made money with their films. Truly professional brickfilming is extremely niche and difficult.  You either have get commissioned by the LEGO Group (and I'm not sure you could even consistently rely on them for steady work) or have an extremely large YouTube audience to support you via ad revenue etc--to my mind, only Forrestfire, Brotherhood Workshop, maybe Michael Hickox and Keshen are big enough to be able to sustain that way.  Even then, the sheer amount of labour required relative to the amount of content produced means you'd be far better off using a different medium if you seriously wanted to make money off YouTube.

In any case, even if a brickfilmer is in some capacity "professional" their entry in itself cannot really be considered as such since they're not actually getting paid to make it, so the point is moot.  I agree it's generally healthier to focus on improving your own skills and getting better next time instead of complaining about the system.  Ive never had time to enter the ReBrick contests, but one of my favourite aspects about contests I've entered is how much of a learning experience they've been for me, even if my entry itself didn't rank highly. Griping about others will ultimately get you nowhere.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

I'd only really consider a brickfilmer to be a professional if that was their day job/if their ad revenue was enough to support them financially. So somebody like Brotherhood Workshop or Pagonomation who is regularly commissioned by LEGO would be an example of the former (well, BW might be an example of the latter too, I don't know how much he makes, though I'd hazard a guess it's a fair amount indeed). It's honestly all so arbitrary and as far as these contests go, meaningless.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

The results for that contest came out today. I find Rebrick results can sometimes be questionable, but I think this one is a quality lineup. There are five more winners than advertised, too.

I agree with FeinsteinFilms and Rioforce, there is a lot of entitlement to win and complaining people on the Rebrick contests. Having placed in one of their contests, I don't want to say that they pick the wrong people to win all the time mini/wink , but there does seem to be quite a bit of inconsistency with the winners, quality-wise, like Sqaush said. My brother and I were entering almost each contest for a while, but we've found that focusing on making stuff you want to make is more fun and a better use of our time. That's all I got to say, but don't get me started on the Rebrick comment sections... mini/rolleyes

-BrickBrosProductions

Youtube Channel https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCm2mA8FCaPP1ySSA8CL46YQ
"Do everything you do for the glory of the one who made you.."

I do not envy the job of the admin who has to answer every question there.

It's a full time job I'm sure.

-BrickBrosProductions

Youtube Channel https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCm2mA8FCaPP1ySSA8CL46YQ
"Do everything you do for the glory of the one who made you.."

William Osborne wrote:

I know how it feels to not succeed in even making the top 10 in contests, let alone winning, but haven't we all been there at one point?

That's the point that I've always been at mini/tongue mini/lol mini/sweat

BrickBrosProductions wrote:

we've found that focusing on making stuff you want to make is more fun and a better use of our time.

I would completely agree, and I would have done a lot more of what I personally have been planning for ages had it not been for the devious lure that these contests conjure upon me as well as the fact that my brain keeps exploding with ideas (trust me, it's a pain having to put it back together again each time mini/tongue).

BrickBrosProductions wrote:

don't get me started on the Rebrick comment sections... mini/rolleyes

Ditto.

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?