Re: It would seem you almost have to be rich to be a great brickfilmer...

Ahhhhhhh my movie Whiteout is a perfect example for this. I used a LOT of bricks (all four walls were together at the same time, plus the floor and everything beneath it), but it wasn't a good movie because no one could understand it, and therefore no one thought it was funny.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/BGanimations/Signatures/final_400x100.png

I ~really~ wasn't thinking when I made this board.

I wouldn't say that. It's easy to fall into the trap of seeing what other people do and assume that in order to acheive the same results you need to spend a lot of money.

For example, if you were making a live-action film and wanted a tracking shot of two people walking and talking, you can:
-buy a proper dolly and track.
-build your own.
-use a borrowed pram.

With all three options, you end up with pretty much the same result. The difference is simply the cost. I've worked on projects where we just used what we had available. One of our videos (see it here) had the tracking shots done by having the cameraman sit in a pram and get pushed. You can see the shots in the "walking city streets at night " shots at 7 seconds, 41 seconds and 1:41 mark. The running can be seen at the 2:37 mark. (As an aside, I'm the one running along next to the singer carrying a light on a pole over his head.)

People can make "great" films by using what they have available creatively. That's the ability that some people seem to have naturaly and other people need to develop. Mind you, it is probably a good thing to start being limited because you see a lot of movies getting made where they had problems and simply threw money at it to fix it.

So unless you are someone who is working, then you will have very little surplus money to spend on buying the things you want, so that's where you need to work hard at getting the most out of what you have, or only buying the things you really need.

Smile and say hello to people. It costs you nothing and can brighten their day.

TL;DR

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fib12345/Lolz/lulz.png
"actuallly this involves spiderman too, not batman. but im also taking a new approach, more comedy, less action. i dont see to many movies like that with more comedy than action" --SteveStarfyTV on an Indiana Jones meets Star Wars idea.

Infurno wrote:

Well yes, but in the end all hobbies cost money. I also play guitar and a good guitar + amp + effects will go high above 1000 euro.

Exactly, all hobbies become expensive when you become fully immersed in them. My current setup for playing guitar is:

Guitar (£200) > Distortion (£30) > Delay (£50) > Envelope Filter > (£45) > Overdrive (£95) > Fuzz (£29) > Amp (£220)

That comes to £669, not taking into account costs of leads, string replacements, power for all the pedals, etc... and that's all pretty cheap equipment.