Re: The Animation Challenge

My Entry
Didn't have enough time to add sound.

I will extend the end date 'till the 19th.

Legocloniac477 wrote:

Can I use a little manipulation? Like adding motion blur?

Yes, that is fine.

"...just take stuff apart.  Be heartless, do not develop feelings for these sets..." -Squid
YouTube
My standards: Philippians 4:8

It is late.
Feel free to disqualify me if you want to.
https://youtu.be/bcVxQZwTAH4

Youtube

my dad doesn't want me to brickfilm on because it's his computer, but he's not home right now at the moment.
-FilmyGuy1

I feel like a noob having only two seconds of animation. mini/tongue I thought I was pressed for time but he extended the deadline when I finished my entry.

I have finished the judging! All three of the submissions were great!

Rocky, I really liked your panning/dolly following the guy running.
Kd2000, great first-person shots, those were great.
AnimationIsaac, I liked the push/pull shots, those are fun to make/use. Also really smooth.

The winner for this challenge is... *drum-roll* ...AnimationIsaac! Great job everyone!

"...just take stuff apart.  Be heartless, do not develop feelings for these sets..." -Squid
YouTube
My standards: Philippians 4:8

Rivvm m wrote:

The winner for this challenge is... *drum-roll* ...AnimationIsaac! Great job everyone!

Thank-you! mini/bigsmile
Any ideas for another challenge?

Gunshot, death, slice/cut/cutting? x-ray or invisibility is something challenging I'd like to try.

"Of The Pond Films"
*funny quote here*   Youtube | Steam | Facebook

Congrats Issac! I really liked your entry.

Personally, I would love to animate something, say, like 101101100111100001110ev said about the Invisibility, but show its effects on the enviroment, so, say he picks something up, and its shadow looks right and everything....
PS. I think we should start to have CGI effects added to.

Cooked Cat wrote:

I agree! I personally can't do any, but CGI can be a very useful tool in brickfilming that too many people through out.

GEF wrote:
Cooked Cat wrote:

I agree! I personally can't do any, but CGI can be a very useful tool in brickfilming that too many people through out.

I personally disagree. This is the animation challenge, and we should focus on stop-motion animation. The original point of the challenge was to overcome limitations and to do things that people didn't know how to do or thought weren't possible. CGI is an entirely different medium and while it can be used along side stop-motion to supplement it, I don't think CGI belongs in the animation challenge thread, I think that stop-motion exclusively belongs here.

Of course, that's just my opinion. mini/wink

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

rioforce wrote:

I personally disagree. This is the animation challenge, and we should focus on stop-motion animation. The original point of the challenge was to overcome limitations and to do things that people didn't know how to do or thought weren't possible. CGI is an entirely different medium and while it can be used along side stop-motion to supplement it, I don't think CGI belongs in the animation challenge thread, I think that stop-motion exclusively belongs here.

I agree.

I've got an idea! We should do dynamic transitions, like non cgi transition effects.

-RandomBoaz    YouTube

I would like to note that any challenge involving any sort of masking is already using CGI effects.

More along the lines of what I think people are talking about (computer generated bricks and elements), I think those should be acceptable. This is the Animation Challenge after all, and I think your animation skills will be challenged no matter what medium you're using. Actually, I think there's a lot to be gained from learning about other mediums, which you could apply to stop-motion.

Since I'm thinking about it, I'll throw this out there too. I seriously don't think this thread is helping anyone become a better animator, which is why I advocated for this thread to be closed. This is what I think the problem is:

rioforce wrote:

The original point of the challenge was to overcome limitations and to do things that people didn't know how to do or thought weren't possible.

So really, this thread is more about how show something with LEGO; not about becoming a better animator. So if all you ever plan on doing is brickfilming, that's fine and I should probably shush. But if you want to become a better animator, you're going to have to step out of the brickfilming circle and learn about other forms of animation. You don't have to do hand-drawn or CG animation, but it certainly wouldn't do any harm.

Case-in-point: MisterMulluc is one of my favorite animators from the last 2-3 years, and he knows how to do both hand-drawn and CG animation, and it really shows in his brickfilming.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

Top notch discussion been going on here since I was gone.

rioforce wrote:

I would have to agree.

Littlebrick wrote:

Since I'm thinking about it, I'll throw this out there too. I seriously don't think this thread is helping anyone become a better animator, which is why I advocated for this thread to be closed.

I agree this thread doesn't help anyone become a better animator, but it helped me lots in becoming a better brickfilmer.

Btw, I think invisibility is a good idea for a new challenge. Like with the last challenge I could spit it up into three sections: 1, minifigure becoming invisible. 2, how the invisible minifigure interacts with his/her surroundings and 3 being a wildcard.

Congratulations AnimationIsaac.
I might not participate this time because of Easter, I really want to pull that off.
Any idea of the deadline or is Invisibility just being contemplated.

Youtube

my dad doesn't want me to brickfilm on because it's his computer, but he's not home right now at the moment.
-FilmyGuy1

Double post, because it is irrelevant to the the previous post...

Littlebrick wrote:

Since I'm thinking about it, I'll throw this out there too. I seriously don't think this thread is helping anyone become a better animator, which is why I advocated for this thread to be closed. This is what I think the problem is:

So really, this thread is more about how show something with LEGO; not about becoming a better animator. So if all you ever plan on doing is brickfilming, that's fine and I should probably shush. But if you want to become a better animator, you're going to have to step out of the brickfilming circle and learn about other forms of animation. You don't have to do hand-drawn or CG animation, but it certainly wouldn't do any harm.

It is very possible for one of us to open another animation challenge topic focused on traditional animation and CGI. As you said. Like you said it won't do any harm, but it won't make us a better animator either unless we're new to it.
What made me better than I was in 2013 was that I learnt to slow in and out, my animations had a huge leap. I used to animate at 10 FPS too, but now that I have changed, it also became better. Test after tests of simple actions, punching, kicking, walking and some others were what contributed my improvements. Reshooting shots are what makes an animated action better and smoother, it has a good chance at being better than the first. Honestly, I haven't done any reshots in the animation challenge, which contributed to the fact why it is choppy in some parts. Reshooting though, doesn't mean becoming a better animator, it means becoming better at doing the action. We don't know how many times our competitor redid their tests which makes it hard for us to know how much they have improved from before.
None of our animations not at their peak yet and it never will be.
What I'm saying is that you're partially correct, the animation doesn't make us better than what we were yesterday, but it encourages us to try out new things, do what hasn't been done. The only way it makes us better is that we redo the action again and again until it is mastered.

Youtube

-FilmyGuy1

Well, if no one has any objections
Animation challenge: Invisibility.
The deadline is the 03/04/2015.
Like in the last animation challenge I'll split it into three sections.1, becoming invisible. 2, how the invisible minifigure interacts with his/her surroundings and 3, a wild card. It's not essential that you animate all three sections, but you are probably more likely to win if you do!

ok... mini/bigsmile yay! lets do this. (maybe)

I really want to try this!! This could be really fun!