Re: Shaky Camera Fight Scenes?

Noodle26,  What software did you have in mind to do this kind of key-frame movement?

After Effects I think.

Whittleberry wrote:

After Effects I think.

Actually you can do my way of the shakycam effect in Final Cut Express or Pro (there might be others you can do it with, I'm not sure). I don't have AE, I have Express.

In my opinion, doing a shake during animation like Keshen does looks better than doing it in post production if it is done well.  I've done tests of this and doing it during animating is a lot faster than doing it filmyguy's way.  Some people were saying how it's difficult to do the shaking camera, but I use a camcorder attached to a tripod and I think that is really useful for doing camera movements.  Just my point of view...

AncientBricks wrote:

Noodle26,  What software did you have in mind to do this kind of key-frame movement?

Final Cut, Adobe Premiere, or any other software that features keyframing (I haven't used Vegas personally, but I think it fits in this category) would work. This method would also work in After Effects, but if you've got AE, it's far simpler to use expressions and let the computer create all those keyframes for you. Slightly offtopic, I should have mentioned that if you want it to really look handheld, you need to keyframe the rotation as well as the position of the clip.

The issue with animating in-camera is twofold. First, the scale of the movements is extremely difficult to pull off; if you figure the camera lens wavers within a 1-ft radius during fight-scene shooting in our world, shrink that down to minifig scale and you're talking about trying to wiggle the lens of your comparatively-gigantic camera within a circle less than 1 cm across. Secondly, most camera movements aren't just one frame--it'll take a good 3-4 frames for the camera to "jerk" across that 1-ft radius... divide that, and you have to accurately move your camera 2 mm in the same direction for several successive frames.

If you can make that happen, I agree that it looks better than post-production wiggle, which lacks the distortion that the actual movement of a camera within 3D space will create in a scene. But doing it right is a Herculean feat.

With all due respect Noodle, I don't want you here. - Ratboy Productions

jd16592 wrote:

I'm not using a webcam, but a Canon EOS,

Hey, cool, me too! mini/bigsmile

Which one do you have?

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Antifaan/KISS/kiss_banner_2.jpg

TheNoodle26 wrote:

you have to accurately move your camera 2 mm in the same direction for several successive frames.

I think the great thing about the shaky camera is that it isn't meant to be terribly accurate.  It definitely can get too out of control, but I don't think it's necessary to calculate the movements too much.  I agree with you in that it is not easy to do, but with some practice I think it's possible to get something that looks good.

One way to do it in After Effects would be to add an expression to the position or scale and then in the text box that appears type in something like this:

wiggle (12,8)

You can change the numbers to change the range of the camera shake.

Last edited by Greenscreener (April 24, 2009 (02:50pm))

http://thebuttonfilm.com/

Greenscreener Studios wrote:

wiggle(12,8)

Yeah the wiggle expression is a really great way to add camera shake which looks good, but you will have to scale up your footage so that the black edges around it won't show when the clip is being "shook" around.
If you enable motion blur to your footage as well you might get some great looking shakiness.

Oh and by the way, the numbers in the brackets (12,8) means that the camera will move 12 pixels 8 times per second (in a random direction)
so if you type (25,4)... well you get the point. mini/smile
hope that helps.

BUMP

Videocopilot has a great free expresion called "After Shake".
You can look into that.

-Donsalvatore

New film:
In Pre-Production...]

mini/rolleyes how do you think I made it shaky?

''You don't have to tell him how great is coffee is man!''

Uhhh, you could've added a wiggle.....
Hey, I'm only trying to help.

-Donsalvatore

New film:
In Pre-Production...]

I used the preset from Video Copilot mini/XD

That's what I thought. Now, was that so hard to say?

-Donsalvatore

New film:
In Pre-Production...]

Leonardo812 wrote:

You could do it in Vegas or even Axogon, but it would mean animating every shake by hand. AE is a much better option.

Really? Can you tell me?

Fancypants wrote:

In my opinion, doing a shake during animation like Keshen does looks better than doing it in post production if it is done well.  I've done tests of this and doing it during animating is a lot faster than doing it filmyguy's way.  Some people were saying how it's difficult to do the shaking camera, but I use a camcorder attached to a tripod and I think that is really useful for doing camera movements.  Just my point of view...

Your tutoral was great, but unfortune for SOME of us, we have Quickcam Pro 9000, and can't use a tripod. Now be for some of you come after me for saying that, YES, I now there is a tutoral for the 9000, but it only works for dolly shots.

Can eneybody help me?

Avatar, ah? I didn't know we sighed up to control half human half alien bodys? (If you get the joke you WIN. If you don't then you FAIL.

My Youtube:  http://www.youtube.com/user/ehannon1234

filmyguy wrote:

Here's a test I did using final cut express.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/filmy … effect.mov
This took quite a while I must say. I would not suggest KeyFraming every moment in the shot to make the shaky cam effect, but if that's the only way... that'll drive you nuts.

Srsly, guys, is there another way, using AE? I need to know myself.:P

how do i vote 4 u

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

mini/XD Man wrote:
Fancypants wrote:

Your tutoral was great, but unfortune for SOME of us, we have Quickcam Pro 9000, and can't use a tripod. Now be for some of you come after me for saying that, YES, I now there is a tutoral for the 9000, but it only works for dolly shots.

Can eneybody help me?

I managed to do a shakey cam fight scene in lego agents episode 2 with pro 9000, just press zoom once, ONCE! Then use the arrows to move it around

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

OH MA GAWD. Seriously? How do people even find 8 month old topics? Let alone, why would they bump them? Please explain this to me mini/confused

Persist.

jstudios wrote:
filmyguy wrote:

Here's a test I did using final cut express.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/filmy … effect.mov
This took quite a while I must say. I would not suggest KeyFraming every moment in the shot to make the shaky cam effect, but if that's the only way... that'll drive you nuts.

Srsly, guys, is there another way, using AE? I need to know myself.:P

how do i vote 4 u

You almost think this is a joke, but if not:
Look in contest page, find THAC voting, en click on the big VOTE button mini/smile